8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

My appointment was at 1:30pm. I came early at about 12:45pm only to be told to wait at the visitor's waiting shed. There was a Filipina who was first in the line. I was the second one.

At 1:25pm, we were called by the security guard to come in. He said he only needed the first 5 people in line. I think we were no more than 10 people in line. So we went in, one by one, through the security check. You have to turn off your handphone and surrender it together with iPad etc. We were able to bring our bags with us. They gave me a number tag in exchange. There's a walkway before entering the main building. Upon entering, the room is on the left and take a queue number from Immigration button. The security guard said press the Non-Immigration button, but the Immigration button clearly states that the K visas are under the Immigration button. So take a queue number from the Immigration button.

Picture a counter with many windows. You know, the one like when you buy tickets to a movie or to the zoo. Interview was going to be conducted over the counter. And the people who are waiting are seated behind you. Practice talking with confidence regardless of the many people who by nature and physical circumstances will eavesdrop on your conversation.

Immigration Window:

Officer will ask and check your documents.

1. Appointment letter

2. Passport

3. NRIC or S-Pass/E-Pass for verification

4. Receipt of Payment of visa at Standard Chartered (I made a copy because we have to surrender the original receipt to them.)

*Make a copy and keep it on file.

5. DS 156.

*Even if they need 2 copies, fill out the second one as well. Do not make a copy of the first one. He doubted my penmanship and said I made copies. A sarcastic remark was thrown my way but then again, I bounced back with a correct answer. I said the form may be copies, (I kept the originals intact just in case I made a mistake and photocopied the blank forms), but I filled out both of them. And it ended with a "You're right" from him.

*If a sarcastic remark is said to you, answer calmly and confidently.

6. DS 156 K

7. 4 passport photos that comply with US requirements. I got mine from at Soo Kee Color at Plaza Singapura Basement 2 for $21. Remember all photos should be the same.

8. Birth certificate. (A copy would suffice but I gave him an original.)

9. Police Certificate Singapore (I gave him the original but I made copies for my file.)

10. Police Certificate Philippines (NBI Clearance). (Our NBI clearance has a 1 year validity. Mine was expiring on the 18th of June. They want a more recent one--one that will not expire in 6 months.)

11. CENOMAR Philippines (I forgot to ask him if he received it. However, he did not say that he didn't receive it yet. So he has it on file already.)

12. 1-134 with fiance's ITR 2012 and supporting documents like bank statements, employment certificate etc. (My fiance receives disability income so I needed copies of those.)

13. My Fiance's divorce decrees that are court certified copies. (He checked my copies but said that I would need court certified copies.) This was not on the list but he looked for them.

14. YOUR bank statements and statement of assets just in case. (I didn't have mine but thankfully, the consul never asked.)

15. Evidence of On-going Relationship: Do not give what your fiance filed earlier because they have that already. I gave my birthday card, a bill of lading, a receipt of an engagement ring. Another example, the lady before me gave 4 recent photos of their trips together AFTER filing the I-129F.

*Make sure you have enough evidence of on-going relationship. I didn't know how to download Skype chats and log so I didn't bring that. Think: emails, photos of trips together, love letters, etc. that you received AFTER filing the I-129F.

He gave me back my X-ray and asked me to sit down and wait for my name to be called.

16. Have you been issued a US visa? Yes, tourist visa.

17. Have you been to the US? Yes.

18. Have you been refused a US visa? Yes.

19. Even if you have pending documents, he will reassure you that you will still have your interview. The officer will give you a list of documents to send back to the embassy.

Consul officer

I was holding a pen and a put in front of me a piece of paper so I could take down notes. What I forgot though was to take his name! I only read Christopher.

*Write this question on top: What can I tell my fiance about my interview today? on your piece of paper.

*Copy his name on your piece of paper. I regret not copying his name. I only read Christopher. If you can help me get his name, that would be great.

1. He will give you a piece of paper to read. It contains the information for your application. Just make sure the info is correct. I had to recheck my passport information, fiance's phone numbers because I don't know them by heart.

*Put the necessary information: your passport number, date of issue, place of issue, expiry date, your fiance's name, his address, his phone numbers, his birthday (well you should know that one) on that piece of paper so that you can easily refer to it.

2. He will give you the DS156K to sign in front of him.

*Remember his name is on that paper. Copy it on your piece of paper.

3. He took my fingerprints on the hi-tech thingy. Listen to his instructions.

Questions:

1. What is your fiance's name?

2. How did you meet?

3. Tell me how did you come to this decision (to be engaged) in so short a time? Go ahead do your best.

*Describe how you met. Point out your fiance's good traits. What made you decide to marry him?

4. What does he do for a living?

· While answering his questions, I noticed my body language. I began to slouch forward to hear him through the window. I straightened up and answered questions while maintaining eye contact.

· My lady friend before me said she had to wear heels today because the counter top was high and she wanted to look tall for the interview. I suggest those who are vertically-challenged to do the same.

· Don't volunteer information. Just answer the question and wait for him to ask you to explain. Sometimes, I found myself giving unnecessary information.

Because I had lacking documents, he gave me a sheet that says under Section 221 (g), so and so, you are ineligible for a visa...and then it has the documents that I need to submit.

He kept on saying "Okay, we're done." But did not say anything if my visa was approved or not.

He asked me to register at their courier's website as soon as I got home. Those were specific instructions. And then to send the lacking papers through the courier. He would review it and then ask for my passport to be sent. I would need to send it through the courier as well.

I read the question on the top of my paper and quickly asked, "What can I tell my fiance about my interview today?"

He told me the status of my case (confidential) and that he will wait for my pending documents.

I thanked him. Walked outside the building. Looked up at the American flag and then the sky and said "Thank you, God!"

I found this on google.

http://www.***removed***/visas/221grefusal/

Don't know if that will help or not. I got my B2 visa in Singapore when I was residing there

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Thank you so much for the detailed review and Congrats!!

For my DS-156, I filled it online and barcode was being generated and I just printed out 2 copies and signed off with blue pen.

Not sure if it will be accepted. sad.png

So nervous and stressed out!

Thank you once again for the review!

My appointment was at 1:30pm. I came early at about 12:45pm only to be told to wait at the visitor's waiting shed. There was a Filipina who was first in the line. I was the second one.

At 1:25pm, we were called by the security guard to come in. He said he only needed the first 5 people in line. I think we were no more than 10 people in line. So we went in, one by one, through the security check. You have to turn off your handphone and surrender it together with iPad etc. We were able to bring our bags with us. They gave me a number tag in exchange. There's a walkway before entering the main building. Upon entering, the room is on the left and take a queue number from Immigration button. The security guard said press the Non-Immigration button, but the Immigration button clearly states that the K visas are under the Immigration button. So take a queue number from the Immigration button.

Picture a counter with many windows. You know, the one like when you buy tickets to a movie or to the zoo. Interview was going to be conducted over the counter. And the people who are waiting are seated behind you. Practice talking with confidence regardless of the many people who by nature and physical circumstances will eavesdrop on your conversation.

Immigration Window:

Officer will ask and check your documents.

1. Appointment letter

2. Passport

3. NRIC or S-Pass/E-Pass for verification

4. Receipt of Payment of visa at Standard Chartered (I made a copy because we have to surrender the original receipt to them.)

*Make a copy and keep it on file.

5. DS 156.

*Even if they need 2 copies, fill out the second one as well. Do not make a copy of the first one. He doubted my penmanship and said I made copies. A sarcastic remark was thrown my way but then again, I bounced back with a correct answer. I said the form may be copies, (I kept the originals intact just in case I made a mistake and photocopied the blank forms), but I filled out both of them. And it ended with a "You're right" from him.

*If a sarcastic remark is said to you, answer calmly and confidently.

6. DS 156 K

7. 4 passport photos that comply with US requirements. I got mine from at Soo Kee Color at Plaza Singapura Basement 2 for $21. Remember all photos should be the same.

8. Birth certificate. (A copy would suffice but I gave him an original.)

9. Police Certificate Singapore (I gave him the original but I made copies for my file.)

10. Police Certificate Philippines (NBI Clearance). (Our NBI clearance has a 1 year validity. Mine was expiring on the 18th of June. They want a more recent one--one that will not expire in 6 months.)

11. CENOMAR Philippines (I forgot to ask him if he received it. However, he did not say that he didn't receive it yet. So he has it on file already.)

12. 1-134 with fiance's ITR 2012 and supporting documents like bank statements, employment certificate etc. (My fiance receives disability income so I needed copies of those.)

13. My Fiance's divorce decrees that are court certified copies. (He checked my copies but said that I would need court certified copies.) This was not on the list but he looked for them.

14. YOUR bank statements and statement of assets just in case. (I didn't have mine but thankfully, the consul never asked.)

15. Evidence of On-going Relationship: Do not give what your fiance filed earlier because they have that already. I gave my birthday card, a bill of lading, a receipt of an engagement ring. Another example, the lady before me gave 4 recent photos of their trips together AFTER filing the I-129F.

*Make sure you have enough evidence of on-going relationship. I didn't know how to download Skype chats and log so I didn't bring that. Think: emails, photos of trips together, love letters, etc. that you received AFTER filing the I-129F.

He gave me back my X-ray and asked me to sit down and wait for my name to be called.

16. Have you been issued a US visa? Yes, tourist visa.

17. Have you been to the US? Yes.

18. Have you been refused a US visa? Yes.

19. Even if you have pending documents, he will reassure you that you will still have your interview. The officer will give you a list of documents to send back to the embassy.

Consul officer

I was holding a pen and a put in front of me a piece of paper so I could take down notes. What I forgot though was to take his name! I only read Christopher.

*Write this question on top: What can I tell my fiance about my interview today? on your piece of paper.

*Copy his name on your piece of paper. I regret not copying his name. I only read Christopher. If you can help me get his name, that would be great.

1. He will give you a piece of paper to read. It contains the information for your application. Just make sure the info is correct. I had to recheck my passport information, fiance's phone numbers because I don't know them by heart.

*Put the necessary information: your passport number, date of issue, place of issue, expiry date, your fiance's name, his address, his phone numbers, his birthday (well you should know that one) on that piece of paper so that you can easily refer to it.

2. He will give you the DS156K to sign in front of him.

*Remember his name is on that paper. Copy it on your piece of paper.

3. He took my fingerprints on the hi-tech thingy. Listen to his instructions.

Questions:

1. What is your fiance's name?

2. How did you meet?

3. Tell me how did you come to this decision (to be engaged) in so short a time? Go ahead do your best.

*Describe how you met. Point out your fiance's good traits. What made you decide to marry him?

4. What does he do for a living?

· While answering his questions, I noticed my body language. I began to slouch forward to hear him through the window. I straightened up and answered questions while maintaining eye contact.

· My lady friend before me said she had to wear heels today because the counter top was high and she wanted to look tall for the interview. I suggest those who are vertically-challenged to do the same.

· Don't volunteer information. Just answer the question and wait for him to ask you to explain. Sometimes, I found myself giving unnecessary information.

Because I had lacking documents, he gave me a sheet that says under Section 221 (g), so and so, you are ineligible for a visa...and then it has the documents that I need to submit.

He kept on saying "Okay, we're done." But did not say anything if my visa was approved or not.

He asked me to register at their courier's website as soon as I got home. Those were specific instructions. And then to send the lacking papers through the courier. He would review it and then ask for my passport to be sent. I would need to send it through the courier as well.

I read the question on the top of my paper and quickly asked, "What can I tell my fiance about my interview today?"

He told me the status of my case (confidential) and that he will wait for my pending documents.

I thanked him. Walked outside the building. Looked up at the American flag and then the sky and said "Thank you, God!"

Timeline for Adjustment of Status from K1 visa

08/12/2013 -> Send off AOS, EAD and AP package via USPS

08/13/2013 -> Check were cashed

08/14/2013 -> USCIS received package

08/20/2013 -> Receipt confirmation via text and email

08/24/2013 -> Received NOA1 hard copies via mail

08/29/2013 -> Received biometrics appointment schedule for 9/16 @ 11am

09/16/2013 -> Walk-in for biometrics

10/01/2013 -> Received text that I-485 is now under Testing and Interview

10/11/2013 -> Received text/email notification of EAD+AP in production and to allow 30 days for my combo card to be mailed to me.

10/22/2013 -> Received text/email notification that EAD+AP card has been mailed out.

10/24/2013 -> Received EAD+AP in the mail

02/12/2014 -> AOS interview at the Denver office -> Approved

02/20/2014 -> Received GC in the mail

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hank...duh! That's what I said.

Anyway, I got my K1 visa today! I picked up my passport from Aramex in Kallang.

The two ladies who were with me have their visas as well. They submitted papers, too and then got a reply. One has left last week. The other is leaving on Sunday. I leave in Sept because of work commitments.

If anyone needs help about the visa process, I can be reached at jecruiz@hotmail.com. I've been replying since day one but the system rejects my reply and says "Error!" when I press send. So now I just want to let everyone know where to reach me.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Moved from K-1 Process to K-1 Progress forum~~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Congrats! and I loved the advice for the "vertically challenged". LOL

Edited by iammrsregi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.