omar88

me and my U.S citizen age gap

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

hello everyone,,

i have a question to you. i'm 26 younger than my wife we met 2 years ago and she visited me twice before in my country,

we really love each other and wish to have nice life together,, she didn't born in usa she was not u.s citizen before and just got the nationality this year then she got her divorce paper with her ex husband he was american and then we married

i'm younger than her by 26 years old and we deiced to go forward for cr1 visa but i'm worry that maybe embassy in cairo deny it and we just waste our time and money for that.

i already sent the embassy e-mail ask them is there problem with age with u

and they respond like below.

Please note that your wife may file you an I-130 petition in the USCIS.As for the age issue ,the officer has the right to question such age gap ,however the officer will make the decision at the day of the interview.

so what's your opinion in that we just go forward in that or no ?

and anyone have any suggestions to me that will be useful further ?

thank u all,,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Given your country - 26 years is a number most likely to be questioned, especially since she is the older one. I would think you will have issues with the fact she divorced right after getting citizenship and remarried right away. You said this all happened this year, which is really only 5 months to date. If I read that all correctly it is going to look pretty suspicious in itself to the embassy. Then there will be the "when did you meet and how.. then how long did you know each other before marriage", etc. If it really is all that quick you will have some explaining to do. Especially since you met 2 years ago, while she was still fairly newly married... assuming on a marriage/fiance visa herself.

I am not saying do not try, I am just saying you will need to be very prepared to answer some of these questions. No one can tell you if you will be approved or denied. Look at it this way, how important is it to you to live in the US? If this is where you want to live make sure to build a strong case and go for it. Best of luck either way!

Edited by MedRoni

Timeline

medroni thank you very much for your reply

we already love each other 2 years ago, and she visited me last year her first visit she was married in this time,, and she didn't been citizen yet

yes after she got citizen she got divorce

and then we married..

you think our case is really complicated if we go in cr1 visa ?

and better to find other way to be together ??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Do you understand what I am saying about how that looks to the CO at the embassy when the time comes? It will look to them like she stayed married only to gain citizenship and after she got it, divorced and married you right away. If you don't mind me asking, what was the time frame all this happened? How long was she married, how long was she married before meeting you... which country was she from... how did she get her permanent residence status to begin with?

I do not think the case is necessarily very complicated, however I do think there will be many questions that will need addressed. If you build a strong enough case of course you have a good chance it will eventually come through. BUt the immigration process is long, tough and stressful. Just be prepared for what you can smile.png

As for a better way to be together... this choice is up to you both on where you will be happy to live.

Edited by MedRoni

Timeline

I can't stop myself of thanking u medroni :)

sure I would like to answer u

what was the time frame all this happened? that all happened in like 4 : 6 months to got her citizen and divorce and then we marry but like I told u before that we knew each other for long time

How long was she married, how long was she married before meeting you ? she was married her ex for 6 years

which country was she from? Thailand

how did she get her permanent residence status to begin with? she was in usa by tourist visa and she got her permanent residence and citizen based on her marriage to American

Timeline

thank u hatem&zeineb for your reply.

I think we won't start this visa and we going to travel to other country and live there together. I know it's hard to make them convince that our relationship is real relationship I don't care for that and I don't need to die to prove that to them I will discuss that with my wife and we will find other solution better than go forward in those steps and waste our time in lost case

Timeline

thank u hatem&zeineb for your reply.

I think we won't start this visa and we going to travel to other country and live there together. I know it's hard to make them convince that our relationship is real relationship I don't care for that and I don't need to die to prove that to them I will discuss that with my wife and we will find other solution better than go forward in those steps and waste our time in lost case

me and my fiance have the same age gap and we going to marry next june and even they deny visa we don't care and we going to live together anywhere else

everywhere will be heaven for u both as long as u really love each other and tc for each other. there's always other options for everything

07/08/2013 Sent I-130

07/10/2013 USCIS Delivered
07/17/2013 NOA1

03/17/2014 NOA2

05/06/2014 NVC Case Number

05/07/2014 Submit DS 261

05/07/2014 Pay AOS Bill

05/10/2014 Send AOS Package

05/14/2014 Pay IV Bill

05/16/2014 Submit DS 260

05/29/2014 Send IV Package

08/27/2014 Case Complete

10/21/2014 Interview

10/26/2014 Visa on hand

xx/xx/2014

We all wish you the best of luck, Omar and Mahmoud. As a US citizen and the wife, daughter, granddaughter, sister-in-law, friend, and employee of immigrants, I'm sorry that the system is so inflexible. Please accept my apologies and do believe that many of us are working to try to make things more fair and humane.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

My wife is 21 years older than me. She was naturalized a US Citizen through her parents many years ago... it will definitely be a very BIG red flag. They will 90% put you under Administrative Processing or deny your Visa, before apply for a green card, spend a lot of time with your wife, take pictures, build a very strong case like posted before. This aint no joke.

"...Come...follow me."

YUP, age gap will definitely be a factor... but proceed and if denied , who cares atleast you have other.. If its all about love dont worry, she can live with you instead.. jussayin

" You never can win, when you play dirty"

Hi Omar, as NickUSMC said, try to get more pictures, plane tickets of both of you if you go to any country, family pictures, etc.. I'm sure you can prove it maybe not now but it's never late to apply, after you built really strong family life with her. Age difference is not a big deal if you love each other and even CO can understand this. My husband is older than me for 15 years but we don't feel that. I wish you good luck and happiness for you two!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, We are living proof that the Egypt embassy does approve couples with a large age difference. My husband is 18 years younger than me biggrin.png We filed the K1 and was approved. You two love each other and plan to live together no matter what the embassy says so I say give it a try with the CR1. Good Luck to you :)

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

immigration process is not about age gap or recent divorce or what so ever!!!

as long that you two proof that this relationship is BONAFIDE, i don't see any problems.

my advice before filing for petition right away perhaps consider collecting proof/evidence of the relationship..spend time together and enjoy the moments together!!!

goodluck!!!!

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.