32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

The previous attempts for a visitor visa themselves would not necessarily be an issue for a CR1 petition today. The fact you lied when you filled out the requests by using the same incorrect birth year... multiple times - that was on your original passport will most likely be an issue. When you lie through any part of immigration, immigrant or non immigrant you have a problem.

File whenever you want but It is probably best to seek advice from a lawyer (at least a consultation) as others have suggested.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

As the others have said, you will have problems with your year of birth and it would be best to hire (a good) lawyer with experience with immigration.

May be we should not start the petition, at all or what do you suggest? I am not desperate to relocate, more so we are looking at sometimes in January, 2015 to file the petition because I will still be busy with school till the end of November, 2014, so we are thinking January,2015 to file the petition.

You should keep in mind that normal CR-1/IR-1 petitions (meaning: no problems, waivers, petitioner is in the US, beneficiary is in his home country) take 10-12 months to process. You're looking at a year of paperwork and waiting. If you file your petition Jan 2015, you would probably not get your visa until Dec 2015/Jan 2016, maybe even longer because you are looking at a difficult case.

I advise filing between Aug-Nov 2013 if you wanna move when you are done with school. That should give you enough time to find a lawyer and work through this. A visa is valid for 6 months after the medical exam and an interview (and, thus, the medical exam) can be postponed to fit your school schedule.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Do I have to hire a lawyer in my own country or I need a U.S based lawyer?

You will need a lawyer from the US that is licensed to practice immigration law with the US.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You will need a lawyer from the US that is licensed to practice immigration law with the US.

Lawyers only need to be licenesed to practice law (i.e. admitted to the Bar); individual lawyers choose their area of practice and no specific license for a specific area of practice is needed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Do I just need a lawyer's advise or the lawyer will have to file some papers on my behalf?

Probably both, AND the lawyer may need to represent you before Immigration.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Didn't you just ask that?

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Is the lawyer going to represent me in my own country where the interview will take place or before the immigration in the United States?and more so what if I have to show the interviewer all the authentic birth certificate myself during my interview in my own country, and finally is it true that when non immigrant visa is denied, the case is closed, so when no visa has ever been issued , how long does it take the embassy to keep data of individual who has never been issued any type of visas before, is it that the record is kept forever?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Is the lawyer going to represent me in my own country where the interview will take place or before the immigration in the United States?and more so what if I have to show the interviewer all the authentic birth certificate myself during my interview in my own country, and finally is it true that when non immigrant visa is denied, the case is closed, so when no visa has ever been issued , how long does it take the embassy to keep data of individual who has never been issued any type of visas before, is it that the record is kept forever?

Well, first of all, you would have to include your authentic birth certificate in the NVC stage of the process, so they would see it regardless. That would just solidify the fact that you lied. Even if you aren't issued a non-immigrant visa, they still keep the record of your attempts, and the information from the applications you sent in those four times is kept in their "registry", so to speak. Your case would most likely get through USCIS and NVC, but once the embassy found out that you entered conflicting information in former applications, you would run into trouble, and get denied/banned at the interview.

Edited by oohpartiv

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Filed: Timeline

I disagree with Oohpartiv on this. He or she could have gone ahead to use old date of birth but he choose to be honest this time. I am sure if he had stick to his former details issues will never arise.so it will be encouraging to help those who just want to be honest at this point in time. So if embassy found out that you entered conflicting information in former applications, you will definitely have one option to provide government approved birth details from your own country, and the authenticity of that information with little explanation should give you the day. More so, I do not have any idea how long the embassy keep the data of applicants whose application for visa are denied.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.