slowlyman

Making life in America livable

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey folks. I've got a few practical questions. I want to make the transition as pleasant as possible for her, so I'm looking for a few Thai amenities.

1) Thai style toilet hose. It's not a home depot item. where can I find one?

2) Good rice maker

3) Online source for Thai television programing. soaps, movies, music, etc.

4) She has a Facebook account, but all my machines have an English keyboard. What is the best way for her to type in Thai to her fiends?

5) Anything else I should have on hand when she gets here? (besides a lot of sweaters. Lol)

I'll be honest, I am very concerned she will get home sick or cold and want to go back. I want to do everything I can to ease her transition to American life.

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey folks. I've got a few practical questions. I want to make the transition as pleasant as possible for her, so I'm looking for a few Thai amenities.

My wife didn't really want one of those. Not sure where to get the bum gun.

2) Good rice maker

You can get these everywhere. They are cheap. Probably best to wait until she gets here and let her pick it out.

There's all kinds of places for this. Just google "Thai TV Online" You might look into getting an FTA satellite My wife really only listens to music on youtube.

4) She has a Facebook account, but all my machines have an English keyboard. What is the best way for her to type in Thai to her fiends?

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Stickers-Transparent-Lettering-Computer/dp/B002EX5F60

You'll need to install the East Asian language pack if you have Windows XP. I use the 'Alt Left Shift' to switch between languages.

5) Anything else I should have on hand when she gets here? (besides a lot of sweaters. Lol)

Not sure if she drives now. If so, she's probably going to want a car. If not, she's going to want to learn to drive. I paid someone to teach my wife. I didn't have the patience for it.

I'll be honest, I am very concerned she will get home sick or cold and want to go back. I want to do everything I can to ease her transition to American life.

Probably the biggest thing is to find an Asian market so she can get the food she is used to eating.

Thanks

See answers Inline.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Ohh I forgot. If you have a landline phone now, look at moving it to Vonage. It's probably cheaper than what you are paying the phone company, and she can call Thailand unlimited for no extra charge.

Timeline

One more thing. Not sure what state you are in, but I have all the written driving test questions and answers for Texas in English and Thai. I also have the 100 citizenship questions in English and Thai, but you're a ways off from dealing with that.

2) Good rice maker

Thanks

1. For Pui that was never a problem and she did not want one so I am curious what other people have done.

2. I had a rice cooker before Pui got here and we used that. When that broke I asked her what she wanted to buy and she wanted to buy something just like the one we had. Bought both at Target. You can always find pictures of rice cookers online and ask her which type she likes and try and find one like it in a store here or wait until she comes and let her pick out which type she likes.

3. Youtube. Another was just Pui's thai friends new feeds from facebook always seemed to have youtube clipsor seem to have a video or some type of link to a thai tv show.

4. That is easy to change if it is a windows xp, vista or 7 operating system or andriod phone is easy as well. Let me know what operating system you have and it is pretty easy.

5. Yes warm clothes. Do you know where the local Thai temple is in your area? If not find it and take her there on a Sunday monring. The temple should be a good place to meet thai people in your area. Do you know in your area that has a Thai grocery store? If not find one in your area. I spoke with a Thai friend who used to live in my city and asked them where they went and took Pui there after she got but we have since found a different place that Pui likes better that has more Thai stuff at. Another thing is ESL classes. Even if she does not want to learn English or knows English it gives her a chance to get out of the house while waiting for the AOS. Pui met friends at her ESL classes and found 2 of her 3 jobs through the friends she met at the ESL classes. Print your states driving manual. Where I live they do not have a Thai version but you can look and see if your state does or not.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Ohh I forgot. If you have a landline phone now, look at moving it to Vonage. It's probably cheaper than what you are paying the phone company, and she can call Thailand unlimited for no extra charge.

We use skype with unlimited calling to Thailand. I miss the price they used to have back in 2009 or 2010 where it was cheaper then it is now. Can use skype from a cell phone or a computer/tablet.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

1. For Pui that was never a problem and she did not want one so I am curious what other people have done.

2. I had a rice cooker before Pui got here and we used that. When that broke I asked her what she wanted to buy and she wanted to buy something just like the one we had. Bought both at Target. You can always find pictures of rice cookers online and ask her which type she likes and try and find one like it in a store here or wait until she comes and let her pick out which type she likes.

3. Youtube. Another was just Pui's thai friends new feeds from facebook always seemed to have youtube clipsor seem to have a video or some type of link to a thai tv show.

4. That is easy to change if it is a windows xp, vista or 7 operating system or andriod phone is easy as well. Let me know what operating system you have and it is pretty easy.

5. Yes warm clothes. Do you know where the local Thai temple is in your area? If not find it and take her there on a Sunday monring. The temple should be a good place to meet thai people in your area. Do you know in your area that has a Thai grocery store? If not find one in your area. I spoke with a Thai friend who used to live in my city and asked them where they went and took Pui there after she got but we have since found a different place that Pui likes better that has more Thai stuff at. Another thing is ESL classes. Even if she does not want to learn English or knows English it gives her a chance to get out of the house while waiting for the AOS. Pui met friends at her ESL classes and found 2 of her 3 jobs through the friends she met at the ESL classes. Print your states driving manual. Where I live they do not have a Thai version but you can look and see if your state does or not.

I'm running XP, Win 7, Win 8

As far as I know there is no Temple within practical driving distance.

We have three asian groceries.

The area has a population of Philippians, and muang. No other Thai's I have been able to locate.

We use skype with unlimited calling to Thailand. I miss the price they used to have back in 2009 or 2010 where it was cheaper then it is now. Can use skype from a cell phone or a computer/tablet.

I have been using MuangThai phone card. They have the best rates I could find.

Timeline

One more thing. Not sure what state you are in, but I have all the written driving test questions and answers for Texas in English and Thai. I also have the 100 citizenship questions in English and Thai, but you're a ways off from dealing with that.

She has never driven a car, but a motorbike is high on her priority list. Not sure how well that will work when it's 20 below, but we'll see.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Google Voice is .03/minute calling a mobile phone in Thailand. The good thing about Google Voice is that you don't need to change services to get it OR add another paid service. It's free unless you call overseas. Another plus for me is that it allows you to browse all available numbers in your selected area code and choose the one you want. My Google Voice number has 4 9s and 2 0s which makes it extremely easy to remember. *I use it as my business line too due to that benefit.

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

2) Good rice maker

Thanks

While I understand what you mean I suggest you try a different direction. Making her stay pleasant would be great if she were checking into a hotel.

If she came to stay she will want and need to become part American. To do that she has to learn English. ESL is the most important thing she could do for many reasons. She will never feel at home here if she cant speak and understand the language.

The real question is what does it take to fill the voids in her life created by coming here. Culture, family, food, friendship ect is what she will seek.

Buy the book, Thailand Fever .

Thai T V for example is ok. I use U Tube sometimes. However it also serves to make us feel connected & homesick.

Find her food source.

Enroll her in a local community college ESL when her legal status allows. Check into Pell grant.

Find Temple no matter where it is.

Begin teaching her to drive and navigate.

Get her involved.

Timeline

2) Good rice maker

Thanks

1. I installed a two way shower (separate shower head and hose with a switch). At least that way the water is warm.

2. I had a $30 rice cooker from Costco. After a year of Rin complaining about rice burning on the bottom after 24 hours, we upgraded to a $200 model made in Japan. Rice can be kept much longer without burning on the bottom.

3. We subscribe to dootv.tv for about $120 per year. She watches it every day.

John

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline

Here is what we have: http://www.usa.tiger-corporation.com/products/2

Bought at the local Asian store here in Memphis.

Also available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooker-Steamer-Combination-Tiger-Electronics/dp/B002A9CT62/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_5

Edited by rin and john

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.