Precious

Legal Resident AND US Citizen. What to do when on the limbo?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just be advised that USCIS and State Department do not share databases for passport issuance.

My K2 stepdaughter became a US citizen when I adopted her. State Department issued her a passport right away with no issue. Local post office said they see this a lot.

Time to remove conditions for mom, and USCIS (Vermont) threw a fit. They flat rejected my wifes applicaton because I did not include my K2 daughter. I included a copy of her passport, adoption decree, new Georgia birth certificate, and a letter of explanation with the app.

Angry as he11, we went to Atlanta (infopass), and were basically told to shut up and color. The State Department and USCIS systems are not linked. Although we were required to provide a copy of the green card to prove legal residence on her passport application, the passport issuance is not reported to USCIS.

Bottom the is that Atlanta told me if I didn't want my wife going out of status I would file for ROC for my daughter even though they acknowledged that she was a citizen. They told me they could not separate my wife and daughter in the system until ROC was complete.

We are now waiting for her 10 year green card just to turn it back in to USCIS with a copy of her passport.

One would think that, for all counts, USCIS should communicate with DS...and it seems odd, to say the least, to remove conditions of a US Citizen. I'm sorry for the headache.

My son has his 10 year green card - he came under a 130 petition for minor child of US citizen (my husband ), so I guess my thinking is right. Will get his passport and later his Naturalization Certificate, just to be on the safe side. But I'll do the cheaper route first, as he would need some proof of his citizenship, anyways.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Just to be sure you will later ask for the good document: your son will apply for a Certificate of Citizenship, not a Certificate of Naturalization. I know if was confusing for me at first, but you get a Certificate of Citizenship (through form N-600) when you are automatically a US citizen (which is your son's case). A certificate of Naturalization is given to naturalized US citizens who chose to become citizens and applied for it (through the N-400... they had an naturalization interview, took the oath of allegiance, ...well, your case).

N-600 = certificate of citizenship = citizenship through parents.

N-400 = certificate of naturalization = citizenship through naturalization

At least, that's how I understand it.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b958d67e1d557310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Honestly, after you receive a US passport there is no reason to apply for a certificate of citizenship. Maybe if you want to frame it on the wall or something then that's something else, but any other agency that asks to see proof of his USC status will accept his passport just fine.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

DMV laws vary by state, in Wisconsin, either need a born here birth certificate, a green card, or proof of US citizenship before they will issue you a drivers' license.

Can argue until you are blue in the fact and get nowhere by quoting laws especially from the federal government. Have to show that proof, and how can anyone claim to be a US citizen without proof. In other states, they automatically register you to vote even with a green card causing you additional grief with the USCIS.

Some 1,500 odd governmental agencies have been created since the early 70's, enough to drive anyone nuts. With 9/11 even more!

You could have applied for your son's passport at the same time as yours, with the additional proof. Applying for a drivers' license really doesn't make much dffierence if you are a LPR or citizen, least in my state. Know your state laws!

If I were you, wanting to keep that date, would just show that green card, go back in when he receives his US passport, or like in my state, don't have to go in at all, they don't even care if you a LPR or a citizen, but whatever you are, they want proof.

Since Nixon, sure made on hell of a mess in this country, how about having to obtain 42 permits from your city, township, county, state, and federal governmental agencies just to drill a small well on your own property? Ha, and that has to be done before you are even sure if there is water in that hole.

You are not the only person in limbo, but if you were a protestant, you won't even have a limbo.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

DMV laws vary by state, in Wisconsin, either need a born here birth certificate, a green card, or proof of US citizenship before they will issue you a drivers' license.

Can argue until you are blue in the fact and get nowhere by quoting laws especially from the federal government. Have to show that proof, and how can anyone claim to be a US citizen without proof. In other states, they automatically register you to vote even with a green card causing you additional grief with the USCIS.

Some 1,500 odd governmental agencies have been created since the early 70's, enough to drive anyone nuts. With 9/11 even more!

You could have applied for your son's passport at the same time as yours, with the additional proof. Applying for a drivers' license really doesn't make much dffierence if you are a LPR or citizen, least in my state. Know your state laws!

If I were you, wanting to keep that date, would just show that green card, go back in when he receives his US passport, or like in my state, don't have to go in at all, they don't even care if you a LPR or a citizen, but whatever you are, they want proof.

Since Nixon, sure made on hell of a mess in this country, how about having to obtain 42 permits from your city, township, county, state, and federal governmental agencies just to drill a small well on your own property? Ha, and that has to be done before you are even sure if there is water in that hole.

You are not the only person in limbo, but if you were a protestant, you won't even have a limbo.

NickD, I totally understand your point. It drives the sane, insane! I'm in Houston, Texas and for that matter, there is a box to check - 'are you a US citizen?' on the DMV form, hence me trying to be sure about that statement re. my son. The whole thing is the proof of his US citizenship, which will be clear when he gets his passport. I just have to make him wait 4 more weeks or so to drive himself around ;(

BTW, I'm not on THAT limbo ;)

Best.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Naturalization approved: 04-02-2013

Oath ceremony: 04-24-2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.