Bayareaguy

Confused about the wording on the Manila consulate guide

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I appologise for not getting this straight during the long wait for my NOA2, but at the guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Philippines&cty=Manila

at the end where it first says additional info, it says "NBI form MUST include aka for previous maiden name on the NBI form if you got an annulment. NBI clearance with "no derogatory record" doesn't need a certification."

Maybe I'm not seeing it, (and I have a fever now so maybe I'm just not thinking straight), but isn't her previous maiden name the same name she has now after the annulment (ie. she changed it back to her original maiden name in the annulment). The statement would make more sense to me if it said "include aka for previous married name". Her maiden name is the same as her previous maiden name...she has only one maiden name, no? huh2.gif

Edited by Bayareaguy

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I appologise for not getting this straight during the long wait for my NOA2, but at the guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Philippines&cty=Manila

at the end where it first says additional info, it says "NBI form MUST include aka for previous maiden name on the NBI form if you got an annulment. NBI clearance with "no derogatory record" doesn't need a certification."

Maybe I'm not seeing it, (and I have a fever now so maybe I'm just not thinking straight), but isn't her previous maiden name the same name she has now after the annulment (ie. she changed it back to her original maiden name in the annulment). The statement would make more sense to me if it said "include aka for previous married name". Her maiden name is the same as her previous maiden name...she has only one maiden name, no? huh2.gif

You're over thinking things. IF she had been married before she needs to do an AKA for other names used. If she HASN'T been married before it is a moot topic. Relax....

There is a link in my signature to the complete K-1 process for Manila, for sure read the embassy instructions letter more than once.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Yup, the Embassy wants an NBI clearance that includes her current name and all the names she's used, including aliases and nicknames.

Timeline

Maybe this will help:

I just got my NBI clearance last March to prep for my noa2 being approved (still havent gotten it tho) and the NBI personnel told me that there are no ANNULLED status in the NBI. Either you apply as single or married. Since I was previously married, i applied for the married status and got my clearance with my maiden name including my married surname. They say it applies and encompasses all the names i have used in the past.

i.e. Jane Garcia Sandoval Carruso

First Name Maiden Name Surname Married Surname or surname of prev spouse

Then, for the NBI clearance being certified, you need to request it from the main branch located in Manila. I inquired from them, it is located at the 2nd floor and they advised me it could be released on the same day and doesnt cost anything. I would bring some money tho just to be sure. But i plan to do this when my medical is up so i dont need to go to Manila too many times.

Hope this would be of some help to you.

Edited by JBForever

^^^. There appears to be a lot of misinformation In that quote.

You don't have to get an NBI clearance in Manila and you don't have to have it certified.

You do have to include all of the names you have used.

Edited by Tahoma

Filed: Timeline

I'm having a hard time getting NBI with (aka) here in Tacloban..now I need to go back and talk with them just to have this (aka) appeared on my NBI clearance (additional payment) since I got one on April 23rd..if not then I'll do that in Manila, with my 2 boys accompanying me..:( They refused to put that on my clearance when in fact I stated that on the form before they printed that I used AKA from previous marriage..and told me that I need to ask request form from Embassy (cause of delay) for that matter.

http://www.nbi.gov.ph/nbcs/Revised%20NBI%20Clearance%20Application%20Form%20V1.7%20(blue)2.pdf

attached is the new NBI form, as I look at my previous NBI clearance with married surname, then I presume I wont escape that box asking

HUSBAND’S SURNAME

FOR MARRIEDWOMAN: so they wont miss printing out that (AKA)

Timeline

^^^. There appears to be a lot of misinformation In that quote.

You don't have to get an NBI clearance in Manila and you don't have to have it certified.

You do have to include all of the names you have used.

Thanks for your comment as i was just posting what i have found out thus far. The more experienced ones are free to correct me.as these were the info that was just given to me when i contacted NBI.

I didnt say one needs to get an NBI clearance from manila (you can get it from any NBI satellite office near your area) but rather, the certification is issued from Manila Main branch.

I just found that info from this site:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

4. NBI CLEARANCE (Green Form): Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Record Clearance (for travel abroad purposes) from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name, married name, and any aliases or nicknames ever used, including different spellings of all names ever used. An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required for any notation of “No criminal record”, or "No pending case”. For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is considered valid only for one year from the date it is issued. You may contact NBI at (632) 523-82-31 to 38. The NBI website is http://www.nbi.gov.ph.

that highlighted sentence is what i inquired with NBI and they told me it can only be issued in the main branch.

If this info is incorrect and the NBI clearance doesn't need to be certified then that is good to know and I appreciate your correction Tahoma.

So here's the new info I found out today when I went to NBI Tacloban. I talked heartedly to the information guy distributing the form about (aka) showing him my old NBI clearance which appeared my ex surname: Assuming you are filling up the form: Surname: Santos Status: Annulled First name: Mary Husbands surname for married women: Cruz Middle name: Abad It will appeared as Santos de Cruz Mary y Abad. But still you'll have to write down the name on the form your ex husband name. Just bring with you annotated marriage certificate or court order to prove that you are annulled. As I provided them before the court order when I applied for change status.

For "no derogatory record" info, they explained that the remarks made is for those persons whose name has similar record which remark as "hit" on their system or those persons that has derogatory record from their past. Furthermore, the "no record on file remark" on my NBI clearance as of today is the remark used all NBI offices nationwide and can't be change for our own request.

Timeline

so does that mean we dont need to have the NBI clearance certified anymore if it says "no derogatory record"? as Tahoma and Hank (per his step by step guide) advised?

i am just confused here and forgive my ignorance of the whole process but can anyone confirm or let me know if this is how it should be :

- i need to get clearances for each one of my names? i.e. 1 for maiden or birth cert name, 2 married name 3. annulled or now single again name? 4. nicknames used

i want to clarify this because the clearance i now have shows all the names i have used including my previous marriage. also, in my annulment, i didnt opt to revert to my maiden surname but rather continued with the married surname of my ex for convenience purposes,

my apologies for all misinformation i made earlier. i would remove my previous post if i knew how to...again, sorry to everyone.

Timeline

The embassy instructions letter is what you need to go by, and it does not state the NBI clearance needs to be certified, it does state in some situations a letter of explanation is required. I included a copy of item G from the instructions letter regarding the NBI.... this is what is required. My list includes links to the embassy instructions letter in English and Tagalog.

g. NBI CLEARANCE (Green Form). Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Record Clearance (for travel abroad purposes) from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name and any aliases or nicknames used, including different spellings you have used of those names. An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required for any notation of "No criminal record" or "No pending case". For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is valid for one (1) year from the date it was issued. The NBI website is http://www.nbi.gov.ph.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Attached is the clearance on hand from Tacloban branch..stating "NO RECORD ON FILE". As I tried my charming way to ask favor from the gentleman to change that remarks to "NO DEROGATORY RECORD" but to no avail. Hopefully this would enlighten some other applicants especially "annulled" women, that my experience today would ease some agony on our minds.post-151060-0-02206300-1367502313_thumb.jpg

Timeline

Attached is the clearance on hand from Tacloban branch..stating "NO RECORD ON FILE". As I tried my charming way to ask favor from the gentleman to change that remarks to "NO DEROGATORY RECORD" but to no avail. Hopefully this would enlighten some other applicants especially "annulled" women, that my experience today would ease some agony on our minds.attachicon.gifnbi.jpg

"No record on file" is fine... its when the NBI states "no criminal record on file" that the embassy wants an explanation letter. "No derogatory record" on file could mean there is a record on you, just isn't derogatory, not sure I would want that.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

If this info is incorrect and the NBI clearance doesn't need to be certified then that is good to know and I appreciate your correction Tahoma.

I think we are saying the same thing, but we are using different terminology. Like Hank pointed out, if there's a "hit" on your NBI report, according to the U.S. Embassy Manila, you need to get an "official letter of explanation" from the NBI, not a "certification." At least that's the terminology the U.S. Embassy uses. Does the NBI call it a "certification?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.