Bayareaguy

Confused about the wording on the Manila consulate guide

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think we are saying the same thing, but we are using different terminology. Like Hank pointed out, if there's a "hit" on your NBI report, according to the U.S. Embassy Manila, you need to get an "official letter of explanation" from the NBI, not a "certification." At least that's the terminology the U.S. Embassy uses. Does the NBI call it a "certification?"

yes Tahoma, that is what they (NBI info desk) told me is what i would need to request from NBI Manila (Main Branch) if a letter of explanation is being required by the embassy. I inquired ahead of time before i even got my clearance coz i wanted to be a step ahead of everything.

However, since I read what Happy Camper Hank said, i don't think i need to go to the NBI Main Branch anymore:) Because when i checked the actual NBI i got last 2/6/13, it says NO RECORD ON FILE....yay!!!! Thanks everyone for the clarification. Whew this is really so confusing sometimes. what will i ever do without this site and the very accommodating and patient members. God Bless you all:)

One more thing tho, about my question regarding the actual clearance. I already got the one where it reflects my first name, maiden name, maiden surname and married surname. Do i still need to request another NBI clearance for when i was single? i never reverted to my maiden surname when my annulment was done. i kept the married surname of my ex for convenience of not needing to change govt IDs and such. Even my passport reflects my married surname altho im already annulled. I happen to forget correcting it when i renewed my passport last time in 2010. Force of habit i guess. Would this be a concern?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

yes Tahoma, that is what they (NBI info desk) told me is what i would need to request from NBI Manila (Main Branch) if a letter of explanation is being required by the embassy. I inquired ahead of time before i even got my clearance coz i wanted to be a step ahead of everything.

However, since I read what Happy Camper Hank said, i don't think i need to go to the NBI Main Branch anymore:) Because when i checked the actual NBI i got last 2/6/13, it says NO RECORD ON FILE....yay!!!! Thanks everyone for the clarification. Whew this is really so confusing sometimes. what will i ever do without this site and the very accommodating and patient members. God Bless you all:)

One more thing tho, about my question regarding the actual clearance. I already got the one where it reflects my first name, maiden name, maiden surname and married surname. Do i still need to request another NBI clearance for when i was single? i never reverted to my maiden surname when my annulment was done. i kept the married surname of my ex for convenience of not needing to change govt IDs and such. Even my passport reflects my married surname altho im already annulled. I happen to forget correcting it when i renewed my passport last time in 2010. Force of habit i guess. Would this be a concern?

Take the time to read the embassy instructions letter, it lists what is required.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/public/Revised%20K1%20Instruction_rtf2_002.pdf

(excerpt for you)

g. NBI CLEARANCE (Green Form). Applicants aged 16 years and older must have a valid Record Clearance (for travel abroad purposes) from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). Clearances should be in the applicant’s current name, birth certificate name, maiden name and any aliases or nicknames used, including different spellings you have used of those names. An official letter of explanation from the NBI is required for any notation of "No criminal record" or "No pending case". For immigration purposes, an NBI clearance is valid for one (1) year from the date it was issued. The NBI website is http://www.nbi.gov.ph.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.