13 posts in this topic

Federal income tax return for recent year would be fine. However you may send tax return for three recent years if you think these will help you qualify.

If you are self employed it is required to send a "Proof of Self Employment"- that could be a recently dated business letter executed by your company (on a business letter head), or a letter from your accountant or your business licence etc.

Pidr029 - We did not send a letter from employer. We did send 6 months of pay stubs. However both of those are optional. The only thing you have to send with an i-864 form is the most recent tax return (POE transcript.) It is a good idea to send more than what is the bare minimum though. Pay stubs, especially if they show your yearly salary, are good for proof of current employment.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Kgill - you'll need some proof of self employment. How are you self employed?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I would say tax return transcripts from last three years and current notarized statement of your monthly income.

For the self employed, it isn't income until it appears on line 22 of a tax return. Include all three complete tax returns or tax return transcripts. State current income as line 22 figure from 2012 tax return.

Pidr029 - We did not send a letter from employer. We did send 6 months of pay stubs. However both of those are optional. The only thing you have to send with an i-864 form is the most recent tax return (POE transcript.) It is a good idea to send more than what is the bare minimum though. Pay stubs, especially if they show your yearly salary, are good for proof of current employment.

The self employed don't have pay stubs. Pay stubs are used to document current income of "employed" people. The 2012 tax return documents current income for a self employed person.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I assumed the person I was talking to (not the original poster) who asked about employment letters and pay stubs was not self employed. It was an off topic question by a new person and should have been moved to it's own thread most likely.

Edited by NikiR

Timeline

Kgill - you'll need some proof of self employment. How are you self employed?

Complete tax returns are all the evidence needed for self employment.

I assumed the person I was talking to (not the original poster) who asked about employment letters and pay stubs was not self employed. It was an off topic question by a new person and should have been moved to it's own thread most likely.

Don't take it personally. I was getting the discussion back on track to the original OP. See direct response to YOUR errant reply.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hubs says I take everything too personally wink.png LOL.... anyhow Off-Topic2.gif

Does a person who is self employed not have to have a tax number for filing taxes for services or a business ID number?

Edited by NikiR

Timeline

It varies. I file using my regular SSN. Others have a separate EIN for the company but unless it's a Corporation the income still carries over to the personal 1040, even for an S corporation. If a person says they are self employed, I take them at their word and answer accordingly. As such, the self employed use line 22 of the most recent tax return as their current income BECAUSE it isn't "income" until it appears on a tax return. This month I had business revenue. I made a profit this month too but it is only revenue and monthly profit, not "income" until it shows on line 22 of my 2013 tax return.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.