Cliff&Liz

Honeymood outside the USA

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I'm sure the mods will move accordingly.

My question:

My fiance and I would like to travel abroad for our honeymood after we are married, spacifically to Paris, France. We also have a family cruise booked for the holidays. I estimate my K1 Visa sometime in early august, and plan to wed sometime in Novermber. What are the restrictions on travel for me once I am Married or if there are any?

Thanks in Advancde for all the help,

Lots! You can't travel until you have the AP which comes when you adjust your status. I suggest waiting until you have the AP or else you'll be starting all over again but this time in the CR1 visa path. .

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Once you're married, you will apply for Advance Parole and Employment Authorization Document along with Adjustment of Status. AP is the document you need to come back to the US if you travel abroad while your AOS is pending. It takes ~3 months to get it.

It is generally not advisable to make plans for the wedding/honeymoon before you have your K1 in hand.

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, there are restrictions, cannot leave the US with applying for AOS, adjustment of status, and/or receiving Avanced Parole document Or Green Card. They (at POE) will refuse re-entry.

I would suggest that you travel there prior to entry to the US. Once visa is issued there is a certain amount of time I think 4 months to use it to enter into the US. Then you can get married within the 90 day time period. I know that it is backwards, but it is a solution to your wanting to go to Paris. Also, the same for the cruise.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You cannot leave the USA and expect to return without AP or green card in your hand. Which takes quite a while.

If you leave without AP or a green card you will not come back without applying for a spousal visa and starting all over again.

You will need to change your trip plans.

- Moved from K-1 process to traveling during immigration as this is not a K-1 process but part of AOS.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Hey fellow January filer smile.png

We are also hoping for a November wedding! However, we have to keep our honeymoon to within the states, as as far as im aware, once your married, you can leave the states but you cant get back in! As the K1 petition expires as soon as your married so you will not have authority to reneter the states with your spouse. You can only reenter the country once u get AP.

Some one with more expierence will come along and correct me if im wrong but thats the understanding we had

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Timeline

Yes, there are restrictions, cannot leave the US with applying for AOS, adjustment of status, and/or receiving Avanced Parole document Or Green Card. They (at POE) will refuse re-entry.

I would suggest that you travel there prior to entry to the US. Once visa is issued there is a certain amount of time I think 4 months to use it to enter into the US. Then you can get married within the 90 day time period. I know that it is backwards, but it is a solution to your wanting to go to Paris. Also, the same for the cruise.

Lots! You can't travel until you have the AP which comes when you adjust your status. I suggest waiting until you have the AP or else you'll be starting all over again but this time in the CR1 visa path. .

Yes the OP can leave the usa without applying for AOS and will have no issue leaving. They just cannot return to the USA.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

If I had a civil ceromony and filled for the AOS how long will it take? thats the 4 months right? roughly?

You would likely get your Advanced Parole within 2-3 months. But there are no guarantees.

Timeline

We are also hoping for a November wedding! However, we have to keep our honeymoon to within the states, as as far as im aware, once your married, you can leave the states but you cant get back in! As the K1 petition expires as soon as your married so you will not have authority to reneter the states with your spouse. You can only reenter the country once u get AP.

Some one with more expierence will come along and correct me if im wrong but thats the understanding we had

Almost correct.

The K-1 is a ONE TIME USE visa.

You enter the USA with the K-1 visa and then it is expired.

You will get an I-94 stapled to your passport which is valid for 90 days of authorized stay in the USA.

- you cannot use the I-94 to travel outside the usa and back in. You must have AP or a green card.

Edited by Inky

Timeline

Where does one find out more informarion regaridng Advance Parole?

I'm watching you too!!

Where does one find out more informarion regaridng Advance Parole?

The guides are a good place to look.

AP is something that you can file for with your AOS paperwork. If you file for it (and for EAD - employment authorization document) the fees for those two are waived.

You would then get an EAD/AP card (work and travel authorization) to tide you over until the green card is approved and arrives. It's so that the beneficiary isn't stuck waiting for a green card before they're able to work or leave the country if need be.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

If I had a civil ceromony and filled for the AOS how long will it take? thats the 4 months right? roughly?

I think it would be best to have ur civil ceremony as quickly as possible so u can star processing ur other docments... that's what i will do ....l i'd probably get married as soon as my fiance will get here(civil) then have our celebration later on in 2 or 3 months.... it takes about 4-5 months until u can travel outside the US

Timeline

The guides are a good place to look.

AP is something that you can file for with your AOS paperwork. If you file for it (and for EAD - employment authorization document) the fees for those two are waived.

You would then get an EAD/AP card (work and travel authorization) to tide you over until the green card is approved and arrives. It's so that the beneficiary isn't stuck waiting for a green card before they're able to work or leave the country if need be.

I have a job waiting for me once I able to get down there. How long before I am able to work according to the EAD - will that status allow me to travel?

I have a job waiting for me once I able to get down there. How long before I am able to work according to the EAD - will that status allow me to travel?

Your EAD/AP card will allow you to work and travel. You cannot do either of those things until you have that card.

It generally takes 2-3 months after filing to get approved and received, but it can take longer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.