WaitingStill

Language Loneliness

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife and I have been back here in the U.S. since October. We live in an area of southern California in which there are very few Russian language speakers, and recently my wife has confided in me that she feels lonely with no one to speak Russian here. She does have a couple of friends that she speaks with occasionally but I think she is feeling isolated. She speaks English a bit, still learning but can communicate, but I do see that she misses having friends with whom she can speak in her native language. Has anyone else experienced this, and can anyone help?????

Thanks!

Jim

You can try the internet if there are no one local. They have peer to peer learning groups that pair up people trying to learn languages. So, they can pair up someone who is trying to learn Russisan with someone who is trying to learn English. Your wife can help someone who is trying to learn Russian practice and they in turn can help her with her English. There are also social groups. I am a member of a group on facebook for people you have had, or are in the process of, having someone immigrate from the Dominican Republic. I have made some friends and was able to get help answering all types of questions. I have also made some friends here too. Maybe your wife can join VJ and meet some people from Russia?

Not sure exactly where in SoCal you are but these might help a bit. There is a Russian Community here.....There are an estimated 600,000 Russian-speaking people in Southern California. Major resident areas are: Hidden Hills, Calabasas, Los Angeles, Westlake Village, Agoura Hills and Simi Valley, in declining order of affluence. http://www.ameredia.com/resources/demographics/russian.html

http://www.rostoc.us/events.html

http://www.russianorangepages.com/

http://tunein.com/radio/VolnaFMcom---Southern-California-Russian-Community-Radio-s156533/

http://www.ruscalifornia.com/clubs/?p=view&club=7

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My wife will gladly call her on either Skype or the phone and they can talk for hours; she does this with many.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

where in SoCal?

West Hollywood is where all the Russians are. does she have a doctor (OBGYN) she sees? you can find her a peer reviewed doctor that speaks russian as well through zocdoc.com (it's free). then there's the internet.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife and I have been back here in the U.S. since October. We live in an area of southern California in which there are very few Russian language speakers, and recently my wife has confided in me that she feels lonely with no one to speak Russian here. She does have a couple of friends that she speaks with occasionally but I think she is feeling isolated. She speaks English a bit, still learning but can communicate, but I do see that she misses having friends with whom she can speak in her native language. Has anyone else experienced this, and can anyone help?????

Thanks!

Jim

troll through meetup.com . Not see anything local? MAKE A MEETUP yer own self.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Find the Russian stores in So. Cal. That will help her to feel more at home finding goods she is familiar with and possibly find some friends. You should be able to find some things by the usual methods of yellow pages and also online.

Good luck. She will adjust but now she is having homesickness. The Russian stores will help a lot in calming her and give her a feeling of home. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, we have found Meshta, Svetlana, Odessa, Stolichnaya Bakery, all on Santa Monica Bl. near Fairfax. Make a monthly pilgrimage there....

time to raise that up to twice a month. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

bzzzt, russia withdrawal syndrome alert. The disease is occasionally fatal to the relationship. Also, if untreated the disease may become chronic. Typical recovery time is one year. Russianness should be supplied in controlled doses with the intent of weaning the patient from the dependency. Oversupply may exacerbate the symptoms and delay the recovery.

Timeline

bzzzt, russia withdrawal syndrome alert. The disease is occasionally fatal to the relationship. Also, if untreated the disease may become chronic. Typical recovery time is one year. Russianness should be supplied in controlled doses with the intent of weaning the patient from the dependency. Oversupply may exacerbate the symptoms and delay the recovery.

Aha! I knew it was something like this....I will be very careful!

Timeline

Aha! I knew it was something like this....I will be very careful!

BTW, the best remedy is making friends with whom she could only speak english. Especially somebody in similar circumstances: fresh off the boat. Hopefully, with sunny personality and go-getter attitude. The best place for it - english courses. Sign her up. Good luck.

Timeline

BTW, the best remedy is making friends with whom she could only speak english. Especially somebody in similar circumstances: fresh off the boat. Hopefully, with sunny personality and go-getter attitude. The best place for it - english courses. Sign her up. Good luck.

Your advice is probably sound in many places, but here in Riverside there is a very large hispanic population and 99% of the students in her English classes are Hispanic, mostly from Mexico but some South and Central America as well. So she told me that she will probably speak better Spanish than English when she finishes....

Timeline

Your advice is probably sound in many places, but here in Riverside there is a very large hispanic population and 99% of the students in her English classes are Hispanic, mostly from Mexico but some South and Central America as well. So she told me that she will probably speak better Spanish than English when she finishes....

hmm, tough. They'll probably chatter and spanish and won't need to socialize with her. You need somebody socially isolated but with similar background. Eastern European is best. Ideal is another cross-culture couple so that the better halves can gossip about their 'murrican husbands. If that works out, you are golden.

Oh, another place to find company is a russian church. It functions somewhat like a club. The downside is that most of the people who hang out there are not well assimilated so long-term, the influence may be toxic, but it will work as a stopgap measure. One good possibility - a mixed couple like yours. There will be a few there.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

See if there is a local Moms Club, that's how my wife met the local Russians.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.