globetrotter

buying clothes in the USA

46 posts in this topic

They DO sell the "nerve damage" jeans here too, you know....

This is a rural area. Wranglers are popular for women who ride horses, or do physical work. Even on a female, butt crack isn't attractive. Now you know why there are so many women wearing high-waisted jeans.

BTW: This is *my* opinion....

The low-rider jeans make female butts look square and dumpy. The high-waisted ones show the curves of the butt AND accentuate the smallness of the waist.

No, by going up to the waist and making it look "smaller" it makes the ####### look bigger.....

I agree... maybe it's just my figure, but high-waisted jeans look AWFUL on me. Low-ish ones (not the ridiculously low ones that sit waaaay below the hipbone and reveal several inches of builder's bum, but the kind that sit on or just below the hip) are more flattering by far, at least with my combination of wide #######/narrow waist, anyway. :lol:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an H&M grand opening scheduled for spring of '07 here in Michigan.

Also... places to shop for business to casual, more for less is Target! The neat thing is that it'll be your one stop for almost everything...

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is a rural area. Wranglers are popular for women who ride horses, or do physical work. Even on a female, butt crack isn't attractive. Now you know why there are so many women wearing high-waisted jeans.

The low-rider jeans make female butts look square and dumpy. The high-waisted ones show the curves of the butt AND accentuate the smallness of the waist.

No, by going up to the waist and making it look "smaller" it makes the ####### look bigger.....

I agree... maybe it's just my figure, but high-waisted jeans look AWFUL on me. Low-ish ones (not the ridiculously low ones that sit waaaay below the hipbone and reveal several inches of builder's bum, but the kind that sit on or just below the hip) are more flattering by far, at least with my combination of wide #######/narrow waist, anyway. :lol:

Yup, on or just below the waist is best for me. Any lower and I feel they are falling down...any higher and I feel like Simon Cowell.

Filed: Timeline

Trinny and Suzannah call them 'soccer mom' jeans :lol:

I prefer low waisted. Not like pelvic-bone low, but low enough ;)

oh, and totally agree with Mags...high waisted makes an azz look HUGE and nasty.....then again, maybe it's the azz that does that, lol. But I digress.....low waisted compliments the azz more so long as there's not 3 pounds of blubber hanging over the waistband :lol:

Edited by LisaD

I like Express for business. And Target.

High waist jeans scare me. :hehe: Not on everyone- on me.

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

:whistle: I have already bought quite a few new business suits in readiness and that when I feel I need more I will possibly order on line from M & S and have them delivered to my friend and she can send them over to me, just one option for me

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Problem is Greencastle is Wal-Mart heaven...and I've seen the women walking around there with jeans just under their armpits. :lol:

Scary, really scary! :P

:lol: Same here with bad frizzy hair on top. Not a good look. :no:

And tapered jeans? :o Everyone wears those here too. Just no. STOP IT. :help:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm having a bit of a laugh because I threw an absolute hissy in M&S when I was looking for business clothes. I won't tell you just *which* business I figured English women must be in...

Funny how we get our fixed ideas about what is "right".

I do miss that M&S undergear tho. I'll save the funny underwear-hunt-in-Indonesia story for another day... <g>

But munchiekins, you've given me an idea of what to beg you to bring over for me--who do I know there who would buy underwear for me but you?! (L)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I am so gald I started this thread. Your replys have made me giggle and helps relieve the frustration. :-)

K1 Application

23 Feb 2006 - I-129 mailed

14 August 2006 - Approved!!!! :-)

21 October 2006 - Married in the mountains of North Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Application

6 November 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD and AP

09 Decemeber 2006 - e-mail received to say case was trasferred to California

16 December 2006- biometric appointment in Charlotte, NC

20 Jan 2007 -AP approved

24 Jan -EAD approved

28 June -Green card ordered

7 July wedding celebrations in Scotland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Frustration is the perfect word for what I am suffering! I have spent the entire day searching for a pair of jeans, for my daughter. She is 5'10" tall, so she is looking for something longer than 30" and she HATES stretch jeans! We have been in every shop in Dulles and can't find a single pair of jeans that are NOT stretch and have the right length leg for her.

What is it with stretch jeans - it is soooooo difficult to find 100% denim. They all have lycra in them and to myself and my daughter it just feels like you are wearing a pair of leggings, rather than a pair of jeans.

Anyone have any ideas where we can buy jeans that are NOT stretch and are longer in the leg?

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Frustration is the perfect word for what I am suffering! I have spent the entire day searching for a pair of jeans, for my daughter. She is 5'10" tall, so she is looking for something longer than 30" and she HATES stretch jeans! We have been in every shop in Dulles and can't find a single pair of jeans that are NOT stretch and have the right length leg for her.

What is it with stretch jeans - it is soooooo difficult to find 100% denim. They all have lycra in them and to myself and my daughter it just feels like you are wearing a pair of leggings, rather than a pair of jeans.

Anyone have any ideas where we can buy jeans that are NOT stretch and are longer in the leg?

Gap?

I'm tall and their jeans fit me best out of any I have found....and I agree with the others.high wasted jeans look and feel nasty!!

Low for me.

married Dec '03 in US

Feb 04...... I 130 filed......................approved August 04

March 04... I 129F filed....................approved October 04

August 04...I 130 for children filed....approved September 04

Interview: Jan 19 2005 in Sydney

~~~~K3/K4 Visas granted~~~~~

Leave for New Hampshire 27 January 05

We are Home!!!!! :o)

AOS timeline....round 1

2/16/05 I-765 mailed to Chicago

5/24/05 EAD approved

7/11/05 Started work!!

AOS....round 2 (to finally finish things off)

10/25/06 NOA1 for AOS/EAD

11/16/06 Transferred to CSC

11/17/06 Biometrics appt

11/27/06 Touched "Case now pending at CSC"

1/12/07 EAD "touched"

1/16/07 EAD "touched"

1/17/07 EAD approved "Card production Ordered"

1/20/07 I 485 "touched"

1/22/07 EAD card received

6/13/07 Transferred back to Missouri....grrrrrrr

7/23/07 Interview date! FINALLY!

7/23/07 AOS APPROVED!!! :o) 10 yr Greencard I 551 stamp in passport.

7/28/07 Welcome letter received

7/28/07 Card production ordered.

8/1/07 Approval notice senT

8/3/07 Greencards received in mail!

~~~WE ARE DONE~~~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I'm having a bit of a laugh because I threw an absolute hissy in M&S when I was looking for business clothes. I won't tell you just *which* business I figured English women must be in...

Funny how we get our fixed ideas about what is "right".

I do miss that M&S undergear tho. I'll save the funny underwear-hunt-in-Indonesia story for another day... <g>

But munchiekins, you've given me an idea of what to beg you to bring over for me--who do I know there who would buy underwear for me but you?! (L)

:lol: Oh I am so glad someone else made this comment. I was holding out. My experience across the pond, was as bad as everyone states theirs is here. I felt like I was to dress up for a night out at the club or for the street corner on a regular basis.

I could not find anything that wasn't going to show my mid driff, ### cheeks, or left and right ####### in the casual section. I found the suits to be unlined and typically some polyster blend ewww. Also petites were seldom to be found, the two pairs of jeans I finally broke down and bought after months of searching, I had to hem.

I found one boutique that carried quality made clothing, but wouldn't dare pay 60 quid for a blouse! This was typically my problem, the high cost of low quality fabrics and workmanship.

My thought was that fashion is a one style fits all, and I am sorry but a 60 year old doesn't need to wear the same style as a 20 year old in most cases. :no: I saw things that made me blush on old obese women.<insert vomit smiley here>

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.