globetrotter

buying clothes in the USA

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I'm having a bit of a laugh because I threw an absolute hissy in M&S when I was looking for business clothes. I won't tell you just *which* business I figured English women must be in...

Funny how we get our fixed ideas about what is "right".

I do miss that M&S undergear tho. I'll save the funny underwear-hunt-in-Indonesia story for another day... <g>

But munchiekins, you've given me an idea of what to beg you to bring over for me--who do I know there who would buy underwear for me but you?! (L)

:lol: Oh I am so glad someone else made this comment. I was holding out. My experience across the pond, was as bad as everyone states theirs is here. I felt like I was to dress up for a night out at the club or for the street corner on a regular basis.

I could not find anything that wasn't going to show my mid driff, ### cheeks, or left and right ####### in the casual section. I found the suits to be unlined and typically some polyster blend ewww. Also petites were seldom to be found, the two pairs of jeans I finally broke down and bought after months of searching, I had to hem.

I found one boutique that carried quality made clothing, but wouldn't dare pay 60 quid for a blouse! This was typically my problem, the high cost of low quality fabrics and workmanship.

My thought was that fashion is a one style fits all, and I am sorry but a 60 year old doesn't need to wear the same style as a 20 year old in most cases. :no: I saw things that made me blush on old obese women.<insert vomit smiley here>

Amusing indeed. I find MOST M&S clothes are for the (much) older set, not a 30-something!!!!!!

I miss London/Bristol clothes shops SO BADLY!!!! I've lived in LA, NYC & London & BY FAR, the hippest/coolest clothes I've ever found were in England. :yes: And often, the cheapest! Plus the men dress SO MUCH BETTER than Americans.

Edited by devilette

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

:yes: I agree the men dress better. Still don't agree with following fashion in some peoples case.

Mr. Bethanie was from Suffolk and that was probably my problem with the clothing choices. The shops were far and few between, and they all carried the same crappy over priced polyster merchandise. Blaah.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Plus the men dress SO MUCH BETTER than Americans.

Well, you've got us there, d-girl. Can't argue with that. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
:yes: I agree the men dress better. Still don't agree with following fashion in some peoples case.

Mr. Bethanie was from Suffolk and that was probably my problem with the clothing choices. The shops were far and few between, and they all carried the same crappy over priced polyster merchandise. Blaah.

My family on my mother's side are all from Ipswich in Suffolk. They're not known for their taste in clothing...

;):D

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
There's an H&M grand opening scheduled for spring of '07 here in Michigan.

Also... places to shop for business to casual, more for less is Target! The neat thing is that it'll be your one stop for almost everything...

There's actually already 3 here in Michigan...

Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights

Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor

12 Oaks Mall in Novi.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

My family on my mother's side are all from Ipswich in Suffolk. They're not known for their taste in clothing...

:lol: My hubby told me there was a good reason for a beauty salon on every corner as well!

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Timeline

:lol: My hubby told me there was a good reason for a beauty salon on every corner as well!

Most of the people in the village they live in are related. Work THAT one out.... :D:P

Sammy -- totally off topic, but where is that picture taken? It looks like Kings Canyon or Yosemite, but I am curious!

hi Robinlake, its Yosemite!!! I love it there!!!

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

Timeline

Most of the people in the village they live in are related. Work THAT one out.... :D:P

:lol: Not difficult for me to figure that one out I am from Kentucky!

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Timeline

:lol: Not difficult for me to figure that one out I am from Kentucky!

Say no more! :lol:

Sammy -- totally off topic, but where is that picture taken? It looks like Kings Canyon or Yosemite, but I am curious!

hi Robinlake, its Yosemite!!! I love it there!!!

I thought so! It's a beautiful state we live in -- the waterfall in the distance is just dreamy.

My absolute fave place to shop in England is Karen Millen! Man I miss her.... :cry:

Especially during the sales!

90day.jpg

Oh Im glad Im not the only one ! I've been a over a year and still can't find me a pair of decent jeans.

I'm only 5.2 so they're all too long or if I do find a "petite" section then they're baggy in the crotch !! Not to mention those high waisters! eughh

I'm getting to the point where Im gonna ask my friend over in England to go into Next and just buy me about 4 of any of their latest pairs and send 'em over !!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Oh Im glad Im not the only one ! I've been a over a year and still can't find me a pair of decent jeans.

I'm only 5.2 so they're all too long or if I do find a "petite" section then they're baggy in the crotch !! Not to mention those high waisters! eughh

I'm getting to the point where Im gonna ask my friend over in England to go into Next and just buy me about 4 of any of their latest pairs and send 'em over !!

My son's girlfriend is only 5' tall and a size 2-4. She has terrible problems finding modern, trendy, jeans that fit too. We were pleasantly surprised when we went to the local outlet mall in Leesburg. Tommy Hillfiger has a really nice, low waist, short-leg, small-sized, jean that fitted her perfectly. Oh, and they were only $30 a pair!!! The added problem in finding jeans for her is that she HATES anything with any amount of stretch. Can't say I blame her, I hate it too. So, if you have anywhere near that sells Hillfiger jeans, give them a shot!

Good Luck!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.