marce&nick

ideas for a job

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi! I am a pharmacist too but from Peru.I have just received my AOS confirmation and I know that I ll have to start looking for a job soon and I need help. As I told you I am a pharmacist and before coming to USA I stamped my degrees at the American embassy in my country so I could use them here(I dont know if they will work though).Also I have a masters degree in university education and I have been teaching English as a second language in Peru. I have certificates from Britan to prove my advance English level and work experience as a pharmacist and English teacher for 10 years. So can you give me some ideas of where or what to do? As many of you I don't want to earn the minimun wage cause I had good jobs in my hometown and move here cause of love :) so I'd be glad to receive any help. By the way I am 31years and living with my husband in Gainesville Georgia.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from adjustment of status to finding work in america as the OP is not adjusting status in the question but looking for work.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Hi! I am a pharmacist too but from Peru.I have just received my AOS confirmation and I know that I ll have to start looking for a job soon and I need help. As I told you I am a pharmacist and before coming to USA I stamped my degrees at the American embassy in my country so I could use them here(I dont know if they will work though).Also I have a masters degree in university education and I have been teaching English as a second language in Peru. I have certificates from Britan to prove my advance English level and work experience as a pharmacist and English teacher for 10 years. So can you give me some ideas of where or what to do? As many of you I don't want to earn the minimun wage cause I had good jobs in my hometown and move here cause of love :) so I'd be glad to receive any help. By the way I am 31years and living with my husband in Gainesville Georgia.

First thing you want to do is check what state licensing requirements there are for pharmacists, second, I'd check if there is also some association at the country or state level, which could lead you to networking, job requirements and opportunities.

Good luck!

CVS and Walgreens and any US pharmacy will have the same requirements for licensing as anywhere else. They are legal and regulated pharmacies like anywhere else. If you spend the $600, you can earn a lot more by doing that job instead if being a cashier...

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I was reading some info. I ll take the exam but first ill save money fornthe test. I was thinking, with my degree and experience I can do stg besides being a "cashier"lol....maybe working in n a hospital or in a private cl inic as an assistant or front desk...don't know if they will accept my foreign degree as education level. Anyway, they onlly ask for high school diploma and medical experience of some sort.what do u guys think?

I was reading some info. I ll take the exam but first ill save money fornthe test. I was thinking, with my degree and experience I can do stg besides being a "cashier"lol....maybe working in n a hospital or in a private cl inic as an assistant or front desk...don't know if they will accept my foreign degree as education level. Anyway, they onlly ask for high school diploma and medical experience of some sort.what do u guys think?

It might not hurt to ask/check with CVS, etc., about them forking the money for the test in exchange of some guaranteed period of time you would commit to (I'd go for 1 year), or perhaps discount the amount from your paychecks over a 3-6 month period (or even less); especially if you already have experience. For example, many companies offer tuition reimbursement and your 'debt' is released after 1 year (this usually is up to 5000). Many companies also provide money for certifications/licenses and renewals. For example I have a couple of professionals certifications. The initial cost was into the 1200, after that there is a periodic renewal, for about 200. I expense it all the time.

As for your degree, you need to check with the licensing organization about it. Most times, a BS and/or MS is recognized, sometimes they might require some remedial courses depending on the specific requirements for the degree in Peru and in the US. I'd assume that your degree is from a recognized college, perhaps Cayetano or San Marcos. As I said, you need to check with the licensing organization about it.

It would also likely help if you had a CQFP membership/license.

Finally, it is possible part of the licensing requires an English test, which could be waived since you have certificates to proof proficiency

Timeline

Mmmm thank you for your help! Well I didnt know anything about that. I was also checking that cvs pays the minimun wage, would be better to work at a hospital cause of that. Hospitals pay a little more So I can save money for the exams. Where can I find all the info about my degree?

Mmmm thank you for your help! Well I didnt know anything about that. I was also checking that cvs pays the minimun wage, would be better to work at a hospital cause of that. Hospitals pay a little more So I can save money for the exams. Where can I find all the info about my degree?

Your best source of info regarding your degree and credentials is the state organization that pharmacists have for licensing. I am not a pharmacist and don't know what it would be, but there is one who is supposed to define what the requirements are, tests, etc. Something like a 'Board of Pharmacists' probably.

Now, the people getting paid minimum wage at CVS are probably pharmacist technicians, which is not what you have/are. Technicians only need a short educational track and usually would be the ones dispensing meds. At pharmacies, there's got to be someone licensed to ok the prescription.

Think of it this way: in a farmacia, usually the owner is the one with a license, but the empleados working el mostrador would usually not and they only tend to the public, work as cashiers, etc. Makes sense?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

well, there's pharmacist and pharmacist tech. Both require a license.

Check into requirements of both, see which one makes more sense for you.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Ok..so even if my degree is from Peru can I work as a pharmacist at Cvs until I take the tests and get the licence? I thought I d have to work as a technician cause of the licence.By the way thank you very much for taking your time answering my qs :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

that's a great question for Human Resources at CVS.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

that's a great question for Human Resources at CVS.

Ditto.

The fact remains that you have degrees that are not just a technical school and that changes things. Now, whether they are accepted as is or would require some validation, remedial course, etc, is up to the licensing body.

There are some companies out there that do a validation and prepare a report indicating for example that your BS is equivalent to a degree from a US college (or not, indicating what needs to be done), usually they are referred to by companies (not all, but I've seen some) to validate degrees.

Also, you need to take into account that (not sure if this is the case or not) you might have bachillerato, but not a title, because you didn't do a thesis; and that can change things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.