NepaliDreamer

Expedite procedure

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Our "ready" showed up as soon as the embassy received the package, then an update when they scheduled an interview, and a final update to show AP whilst waiting for the medical results. It'll probably come back up once the embassy has it. :thumbs:

Nola123, the embassy agreed to give you an interview before your medical??? I was considering asking ours to do that… would you tell me,,, how did you accomplish this?

I am tracking the package now, it will probably be here on tuesday or wednesday.

Timeline

Our "ready" showed up as soon as the embassy received the package, then an update when they scheduled an interview, and a final update to show AP whilst waiting for the medical results. It'll probably come back up once the embassy has it. :thumbs:

Our Ready came up a day before the embassy received the package. Package is there as of this morning. I have made an appointment at the embassy for tomorrow. We'll see if they are ready to discuss interview dates or not. Our medical has been moved forward to the 5th - I called to see if there were any cancellations and there had been.biggrin.gif I have no idea how long it takes our medical people to get their file to the embassy. I will ask at the embassy tomorrow but I am sure they will say something like, "Well, we can't say how long it takes to get medical results from IOM" dry.gif

Timeline

The long story. When NVC received approval from the embassy for the expeditious handling of our petition they didn't contact me via email before shipping out our case to the embassy. In fact I never received an email notifying us our case was expedited even though I was told I would.

NVC didn't/couldn't look for our IV packet which had been in the building since the 18th of March. Through persistence and happenstance I called on the same day our approved expedite request was sent to the NVC from the embassy. I spoke with a supervisor who guaranteed me that any stray files would be gathered up and forwarded. I mentioned that my IV packet was at NVC as of March 18th. She guaranteed that any files related to the case would be pulled and shipped to the Embassy. Unfortunately, her inter office email wasn't read by the person who had possession of our IV packet, and since she wasn't working on the day the case was shipped to the embassy she couldn't follow up on her own request. No body stood up and walked over to find the file, they just gave commands from their chairs. She also didn't ask anyone else to check up on the case for her. I assumed all was well because I never received any notice from that supervisor that the file had been orphaned at NVC (even though someone reviewed the orphaned file and updated the DOS portal to "Ready" on April 1st , one day before our case arrived at the embassy). Again, they screwed up because they just let the orphaned file sit there for four more days without notifying anyone. The original supervisor took no action and the person who reviewed our IV packet took no action even though the case must have shown up as 'expedite approved' and 'shipped' on their screen. I received no notice from NVC. I only found out after I visited the Embassy to arrange an interview that our IV packet was not in the shipment. I called NVC on the 4th and they said it was still at NVC but they would get it out to me the next morning. Called on the 6th and spoke with the original supervisor who told me it was STILL there and would ship on Monday the 8th. She apologized and told me to call her back on Tuesday the 9th for the DHL tracking number. They said they could not forward it to the embassy; that it had to be shipped to me. What a circus. I knew ahead of time they were going to drop the ball and I still couldn't avoid it. Calling everyday didn't make a difference. Stating my concerns to two different supervisors on three separate occasions didn't make a difference.

From this experience I can draw some conclusions:

1. Lack of effective communication is a big problem at the NVC.

2. Keeping their clients/customers in the dark while they work behind the curtains creates a confusing atmosphere that causes them to be overburdened with phone calls.

3. When cases don't fit into the models they've developed their system to handle there are serious goof ups.

3. They don't know how to handle expedites in an expeditious manner.

4. If you are going to request an expedite at the NVC stage do it before sending any of your documents to NVC, or after they have all been reviewed and accepted at the interview stage- NOT IN THE MIDDLE. Also, ask your congressman/senator to send in the expedite for you so you don't have to wait two weeks to find out if the embassy will approve it. If you are denied you only lose a few days time and continue with the normal process.

Edited by ImmigrationReform

Good question, but isn't a case completed earlier already mean an earlier interview than they would normally assign you? I will wait with you for others to reply to that question :)

hi I am just wondering where did you send your your IV and AOS package, and how can i apply for expedite processing cause my wife is pregnant and i want her to get birth in us sorry i forget to to tell you that my i-130 got approved one week ago

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

hi I am just wondering where did you send your your IV and AOS package, and how can i apply for expedite processing cause my wife is pregnant and i want her to get birth in us sorry i forget to to tell you that my i-130 got approved one week ago

Pregnancy is not a reason for expediting a case.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi loway

My husband requested for an expedite as I'm past 6 months pregnant and will be too pregnant to fly if we wait it out. Our file got lost between USCIS-NVC so that really threw our timeline off. We were hoping it would be done and I could travel back before ill be too pregnant to fly.

A few days ago, we found out our request has been granted. We reached out to his congressman and senator and received some reply from them, though I am not sure if that helped with the expedite request.

Also, my husband is in the military but he's deployed in the US (which usually means no expedite since it's not 'extreme'). But he included a letter from his commanding officer, a note from my doctor and emailed it to nvcinquiry.

We are waiting for further instructions from the embassy and we'll see where to go from here.

I really don't know if they will grant your request but it doesn't hurt to email and ask. My husband spoke to a few Tier 2 NVCO IOs and was told by at least 5 we have a strong case to expedite (maybe added bonus that he's been in the military for a while and deployed numerous times). The reasons are unknown but we got expedited and that's all that matters :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.