Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh yay. Another white male who believes he can comment on the physical and emotional capabilities of women because he knows and happens to be related to a couple of women. Let's take a look.

"Last week I had the opportunity to sit down with a diverse group of people to discuss..."

Define diverse. Men and women? Different political analogies? Different ages? Different lifestyles? Just men and women is not diverse enough to get an actual debate on this topic, but points for trying.

"...if you admit women into the Infantry, you must ask them to be men"

No. You ask them to be exceptionally strong individuals.

"As Ms. Duff pointed out during our discussion, women have 50% less upper body strength, and 25% less lung capacity..."

Source this? Also, there are a million other variables that determine capacity more than biological sex. Health, lifestyle decisions, height and weight, training, etc. Obviously there's a difference but considering the top female lifter and top male lifter are not separated by this alleged 50%, I'm going to suggest that this gets fact checked.

"Do you really want your daughter hanging out with men who have that mentality?"

I wouldn't want my son OR daughter to be, actually. Thanks for reinforcing that gender construct. :thumbs:

"More to the point, if the calculus is altered, our people, my peers, die. So, if we have the most capable and lethal ground combat force on the planet, it isn't broken. If it isn't broken, what are we trying to fix?"

Substituting an equally trained and competent woman for a man of lesser or equal quality would not break your formula. But it might help erode some engrained gender constructs.

"It is the ultimate crucible of human physical and emotional endurance, which only the most capable people should apply."

And some women can be in that "most capable" group should you allow them to prove themselves.

"Plain and simple, that standards are dropped to allow 'social progress.'"

No one is advising that standards be dropped. They are advising that women should be allowed the opportunity to meet those standards.

"Furthermore, if you look at American culture, the 'beta' male has become the norm, or even the social ideal. While James Dean, or John Wayne used to be the 'ideal' American male, we now have Justin Bieber and Justin Timberlake. Gone is the man's man."

...the ignorance. I just can't even reason with the logic of someone who doesn't understand gender constructs.

"If and when this does happen, you will see the wholesale destruction of more than 200 years of tradition which has separated our Armed Forces from those of the rest of the World."

Doomsday prophecy point! Because change always results in the worst scenario. Tradition is always better. /sarcasm

This person is arguing about the culture of the infantry primarily, which can and has been changed. Accepting women does not have to, nor will it, lessen the effectiveness of the infantry in anyway. If capable women want the chance to serve in the infantry, they should be given that opportunity.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Filed: Timeline

This letter comes from the son of former Virgina Senator Jim Webb of the Democratic party. Who has served in the infantry and came up with this from his own observations of the infrantry due to his military experience. NOT from sitting on his asss with no military experience trying to change something he has absolutley no clue what he is talking about.

Edited by Iraqvet

This letter comes from the son of former Virgina Senator Jim Webb of the Democratic party.

is this jim webb's blogger James Robert Webb?

Edited by val erie

http://www.jamesrwebb.com/2013/02/women-in-infantry.html

I received this from a chain email. But the website were it came from is there. The comments underneath it are very moving, and really help support women in combat.

yeah, i misread you and thought you were saying it was jim webb's writing (not his son's).

i thought, no way jim webb runs a blogger.

Filed: Timeline

This person is arguing about the culture of the infantry primarily, which can and has been changed. Accepting women does not have to, nor will it, lessen the effectiveness of the infantry in anyway. If capable women want the chance to serve in the infantry, they should be given that opportunity.

Are you nuts? So you are under the belief that if the infantry was half women it would still be just as effective? Have you ever served in the infantry? Have you ever hiked 20 miles in moon boots carrying an 80 pound rucksack on your back while holding a 50cal barrel? a very, very small percentage of women on massive amounts steriods would be able to accomplish this.

Timeline

This letter comes from the son of former Virgina Senator Jim Webb of the Democratic party. Who has served in the infantry and came up with this from his own observations of the infrantry due to his military experience. NOT from sitting on his asss with no military experience trying to change something he has absolutley no clue what he is talking about.

He clearly has authority to talk about the military and infantry experience, but he does not have the authority to comment on women's equality within the military. His post highlights that he does not have authoritative knowledge about gender constructs either within or outside of the military (he uses gender constructs to justify his reasoning, for example). He certainly does not have the psychic ability nor the medical/biological knowledge to defend some of his arguments either.

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

09/19/2013 - Interview

Timeline

Are you nuts? So you are under the belief that if the infantry was half women it would still be just as effective? Have you ever served in the infantry? Have you ever hiked 20 miles in moon boots carrying an 80 pound rucksack on your back while holding a 50cal barrel? a very, very small percentage of women on massive amounts steriods would be able to accomplish this.

Please, do not imply or question my mental ability just for voicing a different opinion and perspective from your own. Thank you.

I am under the belief that the infantry would function best when it was comprised of those who demonstrate that they are sufficiently capable and sufficiently trained regardless of gender. This is not a "make it half and half" thing. This is allow women the opportunity to at least prove themselves.

I think the strength of women would surprise you, as your sweeping generalization reflects gender roles and beliefs constructed by society and is not related to actual biology. My personal competencies are not relevant as I neither would like to serve in the military, nor have I done that specific task. I do, however, know women who could do just that and many men who could not.

EDIT: Also your belief in the lesser effect of women stems from a social norm to perceive women as the lesser gender and sex. Another construct.

Edited by BaBamSam

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey

09/19/2013 - Interview

Oh yay. Another white male who believes he can comment on the physical and emotional capabilities of women because he knows and happens to be related to a couple of women. Let's take a look.

"Last week I had the opportunity to sit down with a diverse group of people to discuss..."

Define diverse. Men and women? Different political analogies? Different ages? Different lifestyles? Just men and women is not diverse enough to get an actual debate on this topic, but points for trying.

"...if you admit women into the Infantry, you must ask them to be men"

No. You ask them to be exceptionally strong individuals.

"As Ms. Duff pointed out during our discussion, women have 50% less upper body strength, and 25% less lung capacity..."

Source this? Also, there are a million other variables that determine capacity more than biological sex. Health, lifestyle decisions, height and weight, training, etc. Obviously there's a difference but considering the top female lifter and top male lifter are not separated by this alleged 50%, I'm going to suggest that this gets fact checked.

"Do you really want your daughter hanging out with men who have that mentality?"

I wouldn't want my son OR daughter to be, actually. Thanks for reinforcing that gender construct. :thumbs:

"More to the point, if the calculus is altered, our people, my peers, die. So, if we have the most capable and lethal ground combat force on the planet, it isn't broken. If it isn't broken, what are we trying to fix?"

Substituting an equally trained and competent woman for a man of lesser or equal quality would not break your formula. But it might help erode some engrained gender constructs.

"It is the ultimate crucible of human physical and emotional endurance, which only the most capable people should apply."

And some women can be in that "most capable" group should you allow them to prove themselves.

"Plain and simple, that standards are dropped to allow 'social progress.'"

No one is advising that standards be dropped. They are advising that women should be allowed the opportunity to meet those standards.

"Furthermore, if you look at American culture, the 'beta' male has become the norm, or even the social ideal. While James Dean, or John Wayne used to be the 'ideal' American male, we now have Justin Bieber and Justin Timberlake. Gone is the man's man."

...the ignorance. I just can't even reason with the logic of someone who doesn't understand gender constructs.

"If and when this does happen, you will see the wholesale destruction of more than 200 years of tradition which has separated our Armed Forces from those of the rest of the World."

Doomsday prophecy point! Because change always results in the worst scenario. Tradition is always better. /sarcasm

I have served in the Infantry of this great country. I have also served as a commander of a mixed sex combat support unit. . The OP is spot on. Women have no business in the Infantry. As much as we may all want to prretned it would change and everything would be fine it would not. Your average woman is not going to strap on a 60lb ruck with mortor base plate on her back and hump 20 miles thru the FT. Benning bonnies. Are there some that may could.Probably.

Let's face it men and women are different. As much as it may pain some of you libs to admit it. Men and women are not meant to be the same. Women as a rule of thumb can not do everything a man can do and men are not good at strengths that women have. It's fact no matter how much you may not want it to be.