alexbrixie

My lawyer withdrew after uscis approval, now what

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Try to get your money back from your lawyer,at least 50% of the paid amount, and tell him you will register a complaint with the State Bar because he acted improperly.

In case your lawyer does not give your money back register a complain with the bar State anyway .Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

As to getting your money back, I don't know. Best of luck.

Maybe you can apply for FOIA request with USCIS, asking a copy of your COMPLETE I-130 petition...There is some fee, but if they send only the forms without all the documents you said you sent to your lawyer, then you will have the proof you need to file a complain at the state bar, and maybe you can file for a lawsuit requesting your money back, since he was paid and didn't made the job offered for you !

Do you have a copy of some contract with him?

rBHLm8.png

6VHxm8.png

USD $7,000? You need to file a complaint with the bar and ask the lawyer to justify expenses. Is this an american lawyer? You know the results of the work, I'd start asking how he got there. Lawyers need to justify every dollar spent in the US.

I paid $100 per hour and mine did it in 8 hours. This included the I-129F, DS-230, DS-158, DS-158K, I-864 Affidavit of Support... Although, he made me do most of the grunt work (it's not like he can go research your background for you, you had to do that!)

Also, I dropped my lawyer before our interview because he was not being as responsive as I thought he should be. He was going to charge $800 at the time of our marriage and $800 to attend the AOS interview with us.

Edited by Waiting234

I am the USC.

--------------

Permanent Resident since December 23, 2013

Filed N-400, February 8, 2017

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

USCIS they are approving your application.

USCIS would be making an adjudication decision on a petition, not an application.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

alexbrixie, just to clarify were there any big red flags in your petition that you got a lawyer like any previous arrests, domestic abuse, drugs, any previous overstay of the beneficiary in the US, any past previous failed k1 or cr1 visas by the beneficiary? Those are just some examples of red flags. Was your lawyer here is America or Thailand? As others have said if you have a pretty straight forward petition then you should be good.

She told me she was going to approve me 15 minutes after my conversation pending a "threat check" background check. i explained i was a felon from 1999 for delivery of cannibus over 500 gram under 5,000 and various other charges, i explained that i had a rough child hood and hadnt got in trouble since then. she told me not to worry about that, it would not hold up my case, and if thats all i did, she would approve me . my lawyer is in chicago

Timeline

People need to understand that the I-130 is used for multiple things. It's also used for people to adjust status here in the U.S. from tourist visas, work visas etc. In those scenarios, then yes you need to send all kinds of relationship evidence. Joint lease, Joint bills, co-mingling of finances etc. There is no interview at a foreign embassy in those situations. In the OPs scenario, no green card is issued due to an approved I-130 and there is no I-485 involved.

I have no idea why someone from USCIS would approve an I-130 petition and then make a phone call stating more relationship evidence is required, when they are turning around and sending it to DOS (NVC) Once the I-130 is approved, it is out of the hands of USCIS in the OPs scenario. It's very odd.

When i went to see my congressman and had his assistant do the inquiry, she told me that because it was in Chicago that it probably meant they wanted to interview me either by phone or in person. she told me is is becoming quite common and not to worry .

Timeline

USD $7,000? You need to file a complaint with the bar and ask the lawyer to justify expenses. Is this an american lawyer? You know the results of the work, I'd start asking how he got there. Lawyers need to justify every dollar spent in the US.

I paid $100 per hour and mine did it in 8 hours. This included the I-129F, DS-230, DS-158, DS-158K, I-864 Affidavit of Support... Although, he made me do most of the grunt work (it's not like he can go research your background for you, you had to do that!)

Also, I dropped my lawyer before our interview because he was not being as responsive as I thought he should be. He was going to charge $800 at the time of our marriage and $800 to attend the AOS interview with us.

the case started out at 3000usd for my wife and daughter, after i paid about a month later, he told me because i was a felon it would cost an extra 1500 for a waiver, he misinformed me about custody issues that delayed the filing a year and a half because i diddnt have nessecary paperwork. when i got all that situated I had been married for over 2 years and that it would cost an additional 2000. thats when the real problem started

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

She told me she was going to approve me 15 minutes after my conversation pending a "threat check" background check. i explained i was a felon from 1999 for delivery of cannibus over 500 gram under 5,000 and various other charges, i explained that i had a rough child hood and hadnt got in trouble since then. she told me not to worry about that, it would not hold up my case, and if thats all i did, she would approve me . my lawyer is in chicago

Did she bring up the felony, or did you?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Careful folks. The OP has given no information about their own capabilities or aptitudes. So, you haven't a clue whether they are capable of proceeding on their own. Why not point them to the information they need and let them determine for themselves, how their capabilities measure up?

I work 75 hour weeks, when this started i was under the impression that 3,000 was worth me not having to worry about making a mistake on paperwork. i was told 1 mistake and i was finished, it seemed worth it to me

Timeline

Did she bring up the felony, or did you?

When she said threat check and background check, i brought it up immediately. i briefly explained myself and she was definitely content with the answers. she went right back to talking about how to file a complaint with the lawyer.

Timeline

When she said threat check and background check, i brought it up immediately. i briefly explained myself and she was definitely content with the answers. she went right back to talking about how to file a complaint with the lawyer.

Ahh ok cool. I was going to say it wouldn't matter one way or the other in your case.

Well, then it was $7000 well spent if you are happy with the results. You could find a second lawyer if you'd like. You probably have some forms to fill out with the NVC soon, depending on which ones they ask you for.

I am the USC.

--------------

Permanent Resident since December 23, 2013

Filed N-400, February 8, 2017

Timeline

Well, then it was $7000 well spent if you are happy with the results. You could find a second lawyer if you'd like. You probably have some forms to fill out with the NVC soon, depending on which ones they ask you for.

He has alot more to do with NVC since he is IR-1. He needs to make sure he has an original police certificate for his wife from Thailand, an original marriage certificate, and more.

Here is the guide for the the next steps:

http://www.visajourn...he_NVC_ShortCut

ETA: Also the above I mentioned will need to be translated to English.

Edited by Karee

Timeline

I have a question. my lawyer withdrew from my case a couple days after my NOA2. i gave him all my documents, birth certificates, marriage certificates, w2, pictures, everything i had. do i need all this all over again as he has all my paperwork. does nvc have it now? what do i do?

Timeline

I have a question. my lawyer withdrew from my case a couple days after my NOA2. i gave him all my documents, birth certificates, marriage certificates, w2, pictures, everything i had. do i need all this all over again as he has all my paperwork. does nvc have it now? what do i do?

He needs to send it all back to you. Hopefully he just sent copies to USCIS and has the originals. You will need the original marriage certificate for NvC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.