westmeetseast

What do I do now that I am married?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

I just got married and I am getting mixed signals. I see on my timeline that I need to complete an I-485, I-131, and an I-765 to adjust my wife's status, get work authorization, and authorization to travel.

When I initially completed my packet for K-1, on the DS-230 it asks if I want a social security card and I selected yes. I have not recieved it and called social security who said I do not get a card until USCIS says I can and they gave me a number to call USCIS. The USCIS agent told me I needed to complete the following:

I-485

G-325A

I-864

I-94

I-693 supplement

I-797

Marriage Certificate

Birth Certificate

2 Passport Photos

If she wants to work or travel

I-765

I-131

I-485A

Can anyone tell me what I truly need to fill out for the next step?

Also, on the I-485 and I-131 what is the A number? is it the number from the I-797?

Is class of admission K-1? Is that the same as my USCIS status?

Thank you so much

Can anyone tell me what I truly need to fill out for the next step?

Also, on the I-485 and I-131 what is the A number? is it the number from the I-797?

Is class of admission K-1? Is that the same as my USCIS status?

Thank you so much

As the Spirit of the Lord reportedly said to St. Augustine, "Take thou and read." It was good for the future of St. Augustine, and it will be good for you too. :) Seriously, search and read the tips at the top of each forum section, and do searches for aspects of the process you want to follow (which is by no means clear to me from what you posted).

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

As the Spirit of the Lord reportedly said to St. Augustine, "Take thou and read." It was good for the future of St. Augustine, and it will be good for you too. :) Seriously, search and read the tips at the top of each forum section, and do searches for aspects of the process you want to follow (which is by no means clear to me from what you posted).

Thank you I guess. As it says in Galations 6:2 carry each others burdens and fulfill the law of christ.

My problem is that I have read on here extensively and the information is different from what the USCIS agent told me and I wonder if something has changed. Thank you for your post and I will take it alone from here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from the CR-1 forum to the Adjustment of Status from a Family Based Visa forum as the OP is adjusting status from a k-1 visa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

moderator hat off -

Basically, what you and your wife are doing now is adjusting or changing her status from a K-1 visa non-immigrant to a Permanent Resident based upon marriage to a US citizen. The I-485 is her petition requesting the change of status. The I-131 is a type of travel permission known as an "Advance Parole' which will allow her to travel outside of the US - and return - while you are waiting for a decision on her I-485 petition. The I-765 is a Work Authorization Permit request, and what is nice about that is even if she doesn't want or need to work while waiting for the I-485 approval (which will give her a green card), it is a great form of US government ID that can be used for many occasions, such as getting a Driver's License, etc.

She already has the I-94 - it is stapled inside her passport and was stamped by immigration when she entered the country with a date valid for 90 days. This replaces the K-1 visa and provides proof of her status in the US.

The I-864 is also known as the Affidavit of Support. This is where you prove you can financially support your new spouse and family, if there are children involved.

The G-325As are the general biographical documents similar to what was already filed with the K-1 petition.

The I-693 supplement is the proof of vaccinations completed by a Civil Surgeon here in the US, verifying that your spouse has satisfied all of the outstanding medical requirements needed for a green card. Since she has already done an immigration medical for the visa she doesn't have to redo the medical - just that part of it that shows she has had the necessary immunizations.

The I-797 they refer to is what is known as the NOA2 - the approval notice from USCIS that the I-129f petition was approved. The marriage certificate, the birth certificate and the passports are all for proper identification purposes and to prove that you are indeed married.

Unfortunately, as a K-1 she is going to have to go to SSA and apply for her SSN in person. The check mark on the form only works if someone is applying for a visa as a spouse of a US citizen prior to entry to the US because when that visa is approved, they get a green card when they enter the US and are automatically eligible for a SSN. A K-1 has to go in person to apply since they have to show their eligibility with the I-94. As long as she still has more than 2 weeks of validity left on the I-94 she is eligible to apply for a SSN. If there are less than 2 weeks on the I-94, then she will have to wait until she gets an EAD (work permit) or her green card to get a SSN. She will need her passport, the I-94, another proof of identity (birth certificate works), and your marriage certificate if she has changed her name due to your marriage. SSA needs to check all of these against the USCIS records to verify that she is eligible for a SSN before she actually has her green card (she is).

Yes, her class of admission is K-1, and you will find the A number on the I-797 as well as on the K-1 Visa and probably hand-written in on the passport as well. It starts with the letter A and is followed by 9 or 10 numbers (I don't remember how many now!) This number will be hers for the rest of her life and she will use it on all of her immigration paperwork right up to her petition for citizenship.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from the CR-1 forum to the Adjustment of Status from a Family Based Visa forum as the OP is adjusting status from a k-1 visa.

ah it was you.

you tricked me!

oldlady.gif

Thank you I guess. As it says in Galations 6:2 carry each others burdens and fulfill the law of christ.

My problem is that I have read on here extensively and the information is different from what the USCIS agent told me and I wonder if something has changed. Thank you for your post and I will take it alone from here

(subject peers over pince-nez)

The fear of USCIS Customer Service is the beginning of wisdom. As in, nobody trusts a word they say around here. You're not alone, you just need to do some studying. "But his delight is in the law; and in the law doth he meditate day and night." (Psalm 1:2). Oh, and I'm an atheist. :D

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Timeline

ah it was you.

you tricked me!

LOL! Just seeing if you were paying attention . You were.:D

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

Just one other clarification which might have been causing you some confusions. A K-1 and a CR-1 are both types of visas. Visas are used to enter the country, so the K-1 visa is used by a fiancee to enter the country, while a CR-1 visa is used by a spouse to enter the country. A K-1 doesn't become a CR-1 when they get married in the US. Instead, the K-1 applies for permission to remain in the US by requesting that their status be changed from a non-immigrant to an immigrant. A CR-1 is already an immigrant.

A lot of people do get this confused (immigration is nothing but incredibly confusing, especially when you first get involved) so I just thought I would offer this clarification in case it was part of the confusion. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.