adamjan

I need all the help i can get. thank you!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

Hi Everyone, my fiance and I got engaged 4 months ago. He already filed for a k-1 visa on the 30th of October. Our plan is to get married in my country (not the U.S.) for many reasons. So once we get the visa (praying everything goes as planned), i will head over to the States, get married in court, file for all things necessary to be filed (SSN, Advanced Parole, AOS, etc) and then finish the wedding preps. Once we get approved for advanced parole, we will head back to my country and have the church wedding and honeymoon there. So, my question is, is this even possible and do we have enough time to do all this before we do the interview for the adjusment of status? we wanna be married in church before that. How long does it usually take to get the interview date for AOS from the time of filing. and is there a chance that advanced parole will get approved AFTER AOS interview? I'm a newbie here so I need all the help i can get. thanks a lot : )

Can you get married in church and everything before you come to states and get married here only on paper (legally)?

I believe you can a have a church wedding without legally being married. I would do that before you enter USA with K1.

Good luck :thumbs:

event.png

K1 from Armenia
I-129F Sent : 2013-01-16
I-129F NOA1 : 2013-01-24
I-129F NOA2 : 2013-05-21

NVC Pkg. Rcv. : 2013-06-03

Interview : 2013-07-16 (APPROVED)

US Entry : 2013-10-05

Got Married : 2013-10-15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Can you get married in church and everything before you come to states and get married here only on paper (legally)?

I believe you can a have a church wedding without legally being married. I would do that before you enter USA with K1.

Good luck :thumbs:

Actually no. :whistle: Everyone here would strongly advocate against that option.

The main requirement for the K-1 visa is that both parties are able to marry, this is why it is called a fiancé visa. If they are married to each other, then they need to fill a CR-1.

If there is a none legal ceremony, you take the risk of being denied... there are many threads about that on the forum :yes:

(just saying this for general information since I think the OP knows this already considering the OP's current plans)

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Once you get married you aren't a fiancee anymore which means the fiancee visa isn't for you. That's what the uscis and also the embassies keep saying. Don't get married and then expect to get a fiancee visa. Also, the fiancee visa is intended to get married in the states. The papers we got when we got my k1 visa, said: don't get married before going to the USA.

Basically, if you get married in your country and somehow they find out you are going straight to get a denial at the interview and to be told that you need a spouse visa. Just wait, get married in the states first with the fiancee visa, otherwise apply for the ir1/cr1 visa once married in your home country.

Good luck on your journey!

Edited by Juan L

AOS for parent Journey 

04/12/2021 → Filed I-130 online for parent (easier and didn't have AOS docs ready)

04/13/2021 → I-130 NOA1 available online

04/19/2021 → I-130 NOA1 Mail 

05/03/2021 → Sent through Fedex I-485 (with I-840 and sealed I-693 and I-130 NOA1 copy) I-765 I-131

05/06/2021 → Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

05/25/2021 → Fingerprint Fee Was Received
05/26/2021 → Got text messages for I-485, I-765 and I-131 with receipt numbers.

05/27/2021 → Check cashed.

06/02/2021 → 3 NOAs for I-485, I-765 and I-131 arrived in the mail.

06/30/2021 → I485 online status update "Request for Initial Evidence"

07/06/2021 → RFIE letter arrived in the mail (I864 with 2020 tax return and w2s, 1090s)

07/23/2021 → Sent RFIE response through Fedex.

07/27/2021 → RFIE Response Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

07/28/2021 → Status update RFIE response received. Working on case again. 

08/30/2021→Biometrics notice (no online case status update)

09/07/2021→ Biometrics letter arrived in the mail

09/22/2021 → Biometrics appointment completed. Online status updated 3 hours later to "Fingerprints Were Taken".

09/23/2021 → I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

10/22/2021 → I-130 - Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS

11/30/2021 → I-765 - Case approved.

12/01/2021 → I-131 - Case approved.

12/08/2021 → I-765 - Combo Card delivered.

01/03/2022 → SS Card delivered! (From Combo card application)

01/03/2022 → SS Card delivered! (From Combo card application)

03/02/2022 → Interview scheduled. Notice coming in the mail soon.

03/17/2022 → I-130 Approved! Noa in the mail two days later.

03/31/2022 → Interview day and I-485 Card produced by the time we were leaving.
04/01/2022 → Case approved

04/04/2022 → NOA Case Approved arrived in the mail.
04/07/2022 → Parent's Green card in hand!

Timeline

Actually no. :whistle: Everyone here would strongly advocate against that option.

The main requirement for the K-1 visa is that both parties are able to marry, this is why it is called a fiancé visa. If they are married to each other, then they need to fill a CR-1.

If there is a none legal ceremony, you take the risk of being denied... there are many threads about that on the forum :yes:

(just saying this for general information since I think the OP knows this already considering the OP's current plans)

I meant marry in church not legally, just ceremony, reception and etc... Nothing illegal about that. Both parties would still be single on paper. K1 means you don't have any legal documents saying you are married doesn't mean you can't go to church and get married. Church doesn't provide you a marriage certificate. Most people do that. You are not breaking any law or anything. :thumbs:

event.png

K1 from Armenia

I meant marry in church not legally, just ceremony, reception and etc... Nothing illegal about that. Both parties would still be single on paper. K1 means you don't have any legal documents saying you are married doesn't mean you can't go to church and get married. Church doesn't provide you a marriage certificate. Most people do that. You are not breaking any law or anything. :thumbs:

There is something illegal about it. In some countries any religious marriage ceremony is a legal marriage. The idea that you have in your head that they are unrelated isn't correct for most countries. If the embassy gets a whiff that you had a marriage, whether legal or even non-legal, they will deny the fiance visa.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

There is something illegal about it. In some countries any religious marriage ceremony is a legal marriage. The idea that you have in your head that they are unrelated isn't correct for most countries. If the embassy gets a whiff that you had a marriage, whether legal or even non-legal, they will deny the fiance visa.

:wow:

event.png

K1 from Armenia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Yes, I totally got that.

The only problem is they don't care if you are legally married or unofficially married. for them, you have a wedding ceremony, you are not able to marry anymore.

So, you can do it, but there must not be any trace of it that they would hear of, you must be very certain not to say anything about it at the interview, not call your fiancé 'husband' etc.

I am not saying there are 100% chances for denial, I just say it is taking risks that everyone here would advocate against.

But I was not saying you were suggesting to break the lawno0pb.gif

however, in some countries you can't get married in church without being married legally first (in France for exemple)

Yes, that too. In the US, the church ceremony is usually the legal one too. good.gif

Yes, that too. In the US, the church ceremony is usually the legal one too. good.gif

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.