Carie_Azan

STUPID Question...

11 posts in this topic

So, if your already married, filing for temp or perm residence for your spouse, shouldnt they already be together? I just dont understand....I see so many people talking about how they miss their SO'S, but, if your married, shouldnt you be together? I am really confused and NOT stupid ;)B-)

Are you telling me once we get done our K-1 Fiance Visa, and he is finally here, we will have to be seperated AGAIN????OMGGGGG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Are you telling me once we get done our K-1 Fiance Visa, and he is finally here, we will have to be seperated AGAIN????OMGGGGG

No. Please study the Guides section and the 'compare' page.

All is explained there - why to retype it for you ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

So, if your already married, filing for temp or perm residence for your spouse, shouldnt they already be together? I just dont understand....I see so many people talking about how they miss their SO'S, but, if your married, shouldnt you be together? I am really confused and NOT stupid ;)B-)

I hope that was a typo, and you filed a K-3. If you're married, you can't file K-1 anymore.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Timeline

Alrighty ! Apologies if I seem snarky - it just worked out that way.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

well, if I understood the guide, I would not be posting the question!

THERE is your sign :bonk:

The people who are separated from their spouses are living outside of the US, because it is illegal to enter the US with the intent to immigrate without an immigrant visa or fiance visa. If you are planning on getting married on an I-129F petition (K1 visa), your spouse can stay in the US until adjustment of status is complete. Sometimes people are already married, and their spouse has to move to the US before they can move (because USCIS takes so long). Sometimes, the spouse of the USC needs to go back to their country to wait since the USC spouse cannot afford to support them without them working.

There are plenty of reasons why spouses of US citizens cannot enter until they receive their immigrant visas.

Take me, for instance:

I'm a Canadian, and was married to my US citizen spouse in 2009. In 2012, we decided that should we get the chance to move back to the US, we should take it as soon as possible (since that was where we wanted to end up anyway). She got a job in May, and therefore we filed our I-130 in June. We didn't think it would take longer than 5 months to be approved for the I-130 and then not much longer for everything else. We were wrong.

I could have stayed in the US whenever I visited her over the past number of months, but I didn't for two reasons:

1) I felt as though staying would be in bad faith (breach of good faith), since I would have to tell CBP when I was entering that I would only be visiting when I would clearly have to plan to move permanently in order to stay; and,

2) I needed to work in order for my wife and I to be in a good financial condition for our immigration, and it could take months before receiving work authorization.

I stayed for my job, and until I receive my immigrant visa. Plus it's working out that I can complete a certain designation I'm working on for my profession. I'll probably be done that designation before I leave.

So, I miss my wife because I can't be with her permanently and legally while she lives in the US. I can visit, but I can't stay.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Carie_Azan - may be you are confused on the use of the I-129F?

It can be used in two places, two paths -

1. K-1 visa chasing and

2. K-3 visa chasing.

Ages past, when the K-3 was introduced, it reduced the amount of time that one waited on the I-130/CR-1/IR-1 visa path. That's not the case anymore, due to automation with the FBI and USCIS. An FBI namecheck could take up to a year, and in many cases, more than a year. Once the automation kicked in, a namecheck could be done in almost real-time, same-day. Over a two to three year period, the backlog of FBI namechecks got 'caught up' and it's not a barrier for holding up the I-130 anymore.

These days (since 2008?) chasing after a K-3 visa turned out to be a waste of time, as these namechecks were occuring in almost real-time, so there wasn't any backlog on waiting. NVC noticed the pattern in 2010, and started administratively closing the I-129F when the I-130 and I-129F showed up at NVC at the same time (CR-1 visa plus a K-3 visa, two paths, two visa types) ..

So, perhaps you've read some old stuff about the K-3 and the use of the I-129F. USCIS hasn't changed their website - they clearly state an I-129F is still filable for anyone who wants to chase after a K-3 visa. Most of the USCIS TeleOperators still do not know that NVC will administratively close the I-129F.

So - in your particular situation, chasing after a K-1 visa - once yer fiance hits USA dirt - she/he doesn't have to leave. In fact, there's a whole nother process to do AFTERWARDS, to obtain a greencard.

Sorry yer having trouble with reading the guides. Truly. If yer visiting VJ on a handphone browser, I invite you to come back on a PC, as one misses about 80 percent of the usefullness of the site on a handphone.

Good Luck !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

CR1 - is when the US citizen travels to another country and marries his or her fiance/fiancee then the US citizen returns to the USA to file all the paperwork for their love to come to live here with them. They receive their Green Card after arriving in the USA.

K1 - is when the US citizen visits their fiance/fiance in another country then returns to the USA to file a petition ( within 2 years of meeting) to bring them to the USA then get married with 90 days of their arrival, after marriage file for Adjustment of status to receive their Green Card.

I hope I got all that right :)

Good Luck to you on your continued journey :)

event.png

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

CR1 - is when the US citizen travels to another country and marries his or her fiance/fiancee then the US citizen returns to the USA to file all the paperwork for their love to come to live here with them. They receive their Green Card after arriving in the USA.

K1 - is when the US citizen visits their fiance/fiance in another country then returns to the USA to file a petition ( within 2 years of meeting) to bring them to the USA then get married with 90 days of their arrival, after marriage file for Adjustment of status to receive their Green Card.

I hope I got all that right :)

Good Luck to you on your continued journey :)

for cr1 marriage outside us is not required.

hubby came to me. married in us.

for k1 theres no two year limit.

you can file fifteen years after you meet if you want.

i think you are confusing cr1 vs ir1 based on 2yr anniversary

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.