AussieNemesis

Do I need a sponsor? Even if I am self sufficient?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am in the beginning process of a Change of Status from ESTA visa waiver due to marrying a US citizen.

I am confused about sponsors.

I am already living in the USA. I own a home here. I have a reasonable amount of funds in the bank. I am not employed and not in urgent need of employment. My husband has his own business but it is newly formed and not bringing in the income a sponsor needs.

Do I need a sponsor other than my husband if I have my own resources?

Short outline: AWA affected our application 
2012 - married US Citizen from tourist visa (unplanned)

2013 - First application for AOS by marriage - with an attorney but not one with AWA experience

2013 - First NOID - Got Psych report and as much evidence as possible sent off

2015 - Denied

2015 - Reapply for AOS - same attorney but we are better versed this time 

2016 - NOID - new reports, fresh proof

2017 - Denied

2017 - Reapply 3rd time - yet more info provided

2018  - NOID - 3RD Psych assessment, at $3000 a pop

2021 - Denied

2021 - Reapply BUT with a change - we switch application from my husband as a sponsor to my eldest step-son and suddenly, no issues

2021 - RFE for Medical Exam only!
2024  Jan 13 - email from attorney to say we have finally been APPROVED

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Normally if the husband don't make enough then yes you need another sponsor, but I guess he can put down your assets as his on the affidavit since you are married.

Just a heads up, the fact that you already bought your own home might make it seem like you came on your visa waiver with the intent to marry and immigrate... Could mean trouble.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Timeline

I was initially going to buy a property as an investment considering the exchange rate between the two countries and the fact that houses here are about 1/10th the price of a similar property in Australia.

However I fell in love with the house, and already had a relationship with the man who is now my husband. These things developed over time. I first came here last August for a month to meet up with online friends, to scout the real estate prices with investment in mind, and have proof of that.

I came back in November to seriously look at purchasing a property, and to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas/January with friends, and see snow falling for the first time ever. The rest just fell into place. It wasn't planned out.

Edited by AussieNemesis

2013 - First application for AOS by marriage - with an attorney but not one with AWA experience

2015 - Denied

2017 - Denied

2021 - Denied

2021 - Reapply BUT with a change - we switch application from my husband as a sponsor to my eldest step-son and suddenly, no issues

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners

You can add your assets to your husband's affidavit. You need 3 times the yearly income requirement in assets.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Thank You

Whew. That's a relief.

Having a very small time frame to lodge the paperwork, I was worried I'd need to prevail upon other friends to help me out.

2015 - Denied

2017 - Denied

2021 - Denied

What Harpa said. Keep in mind that if your home is your only home, you probably won't be able to use that because turning that into cash would be considered a hardship. If there is another residence that's a different story.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.