DariaG

Need advise about I-130

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The earliest a bar kicks in is for 180 days of unauthorised stay (after the expiration of your I-94). Provided you depart before accumulating 180 days of overstay then you receive no bar and should not need to submit an I-601 waiver.

I am not completely sure on that, so hopefully someone else can chip in. As I stated above, you should also speak to an immigration attorney, too.

Well, I tried to extend my visa and uscis process it for about 6 month, of course they denied it but I buy some time, I hoped that petition will be approved, but it didn't,

Anyway, I got my denial letter oct 9 2012. It proofs that I overstay only 4 months, right?

Thanks a lot once again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The earliest a bar kicks in is for 180 days of unauthorised stay (after the expiration of your I-94). Provided you depart before accumulating 180 days of overstay then you receive no bar and should not need to submit an I-601 waiver.

I am not completely sure on that, so hopefully someone else can chip in. As I stated above, you should also speak to an immigration attorney, too.

You have given her good advice, thank you. There should have been an I-485 filed with her I-130. Not sure if she could do that now. Good advice to see an attorney.

She is out of status and until she has overstayed for 180 days there is no ban.

See an attorney soon.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

She cannot file an I-485 right now because as the spouse of an LPR a visa number is not immediately available to her.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Timeline

Well, I tried to extend my visa and uscis process it for about 6 month, of course they denied it but I buy some time, I hoped that petition will be approved, but it didn't,

Anyway, I got my denial letter oct 9 2012. It proofs that I overstay only 4 months, right?

If you're denied, your illegal presence is counted from the date (of allowed staying) on your I-94.

If you're denied you're supposed to leave the US as soon as possible.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

If you're denied, your illegal presence is counted from the date (of allowed staying) on your I-94.

From everything I have read upon denial of a petition you have 30 days to leave the country.

Relationship and I-130 Process

Sometime in October, 2011: We met online talking about Argentina.
Later in October: Met in person in Philadelphia and became good friends.
March 4, 2012: Became girlfriend and boyfriend, officially.
March 21: Gloria leaves the US at the end of her J-1 Visa.
April 9: Got engaged!
May 12-26: Chris visits Buenos Aires.
May 18: Got married in Argentina :) Happy day!!
May 29: Sent out I-130
June 4: NOA1 received.
August 17-20: Chris visits again.
September 22-29: Chris 3rd visit, Gloria's birthday!
November 11-January 5: Chris stays in Argentina almost 2 months, Gloria is happy!
December 28: NOA2 YAY!!!
December 31: Package received at NVC.
January 18, 2013: Got case # and IIN.
February 6: Case complete!!
February 11: Interview assigned.
February 25: Package received at Embassy in Buenos Aires.
March 18: Interview Approved!!
March 28: Visa received.
March 29: Houston POE

April 11: received greencard!!!!!!!

January 9, 2015: sent out form I-751

Timeline

I'm talking about b2 visa, which I tried to extend!

Thanks

No. UNLESS your Notice of action extended your B2 visa it was not extended by requesting an extension. It expired when it expired and your overstay is calculated from the expiration of your I-94, NOT the visa itself (necessarily) The out of status condition is calculated from the expiration date of the I-94

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The word "illegal" gets thrown around here alot. She entered the country legally and is in an overtay "out of status" condition.

If you are not eligible for an I-485 at this time because your husband is an LPR and you HAVE incurred a ban because the overstay is calculated from the expiration of your I-94 (Technically you should have left when your I-94 expired and returned when your visa was extended) then your only option is to wait out your I-130 OR wait out your husband becoming a citizen, AND file a waiver with your visa application to waive the ban.

I suggest you see a competent immigration attorney for this one. NOT an attorney that fills out I-129Fs but someone who actually knows how to handle this. You have made some decisions that are going to make your life a bit more difficult for some time. You will have to deal with that as best you can.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Provided that an application for an extension of B-2 status was: (i) filed before the current I-94 expired, (ii) is not denied due to the applicant performing illegal work or filing a frivolous extension application, then if the application is denied illegal presence begins from the date of the denial. If it is deemed a frivolous extension request, then illegal presence begins after the expiry date on the I-94.

USCIS defines a non-frivolous extension request as "one with an arguable basis in law and fact, and not filed for an improper purpose".

If an extension request is filed after the I-94 expires and is denied for any reason whatsoever, illegal presence begins from the date that the I-94 expired.

Obviously, if an extension request is granted then there is no illegal presence to consider.

Really though, a competent attorney is the way to go here.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

One has nothing to do with the other.

The OP is here for advice, not judgement.

Thank you for saying this! We need more of folks like you with reason in the forums...

Can't help to smh hearing people judging, playing God and acting as if they're the final arbiters of immigration matters!

Edited by Boggy1974

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Provided that an application for an extension of B-2 status was: (i) filed before the current I-94 expired, (ii) is not denied due to the applicant performing illegal work or filing a frivolous extension application, then if the application is denied illegal presence begins from the date of the denial. If it is deemed a frivolous extension request, then illegal presence begins after the expiry date on the I-94.

USCIS defines a non-frivolous extension request as "one with an arguable basis in law and fact, and not filed for an improper purpose".

If an extension request is filed after the I-94 expires and is denied for any reason whatsoever, illegal presence begins from the date that the I-94 expired.

Obviously, if an extension request is granted then there is no illegal presence to consider.

Knowledgeable stuff! Had no answers for the OP, but i'm glad s/he is getting this good advice which will be of help to many.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Timeline

Thank you for that good information.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks guys, all of you is very helpful!

The thing is bothering me is WHAT DO THE USCIS THINKING.

They process cases for 1 year and of course the non immigrant visa is being expired, and not extended because you have immigration case pending!!! So by now all those people who entered legally, who paid all the fees, and didn't get approved while they are not out of status, suddently illegal, not able to go to home country avoiding ban, and not able to adjust status either.

This is not right !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.