11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hey guys, I'm asking a question for my friend.

He is about to file for GC. He had opened a bank account and at the time, without really asking him, the banker checked "permanently residing in the US" in his profile. My friend didn't know that it means he is a permanent resident if he checked that box.

Will this affect his chance of applying for a GC? I know it is very bad if you falsely claimed being a US citizen, what about being a LPR? He didn't intentionally lie about that, the banker didn't ask and assumed that he was one.

I'm just like a point mass that can move through space but has no internal degrees of freedom.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Willfully claiming or misrepresenting oneself as a US Citizen is obviously illegal and people generally do it to gain some benefit. It sounds like your friend made a mistake on some banking forms. Would he lose any benefit if another box was checked? Did he gain anything by checking that box? Perhaps a trip back to the bank to correct the error would put his mind at ease.

Good luck!

"Permanently residing in the US" isn't the same thing as claiming US citizenship.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

He isn't in the States right now... He opened the bank account some time ago when he was here on B2. There is only $300 in it, not really any benefit.

I understand that "permanently residing in the US" isn't the same thing as claiming US citizenship, my question is if claiming LPR is illegal? Again, he was never asked the question whether he is a LPR or not. He discovered it after he went home with the bank account forms.

I'm just like a point mass that can move through space but has no internal degrees of freedom.

Filed: Timeline

If he opened the account while he was in the states on a B2 then he was 'permanently residing' in the states at the time he opened it. The question doesnt say "are you a permanent resident of the US" or do you hold a permanent resident/GC in the US. It says are you permanently residing in the US at the time you open the account, and as a visa holder you are.

The question from the bank is not a legal term, it's just something they made up for their own internal schema. It's nothing to worry about.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Willfully claiming or misrepresenting oneself as a US Citizen is obviously illegal and people generally do it to gain some benefit. It sounds like your friend made a mistake on some banking forms. Would he lose any benefit if another box was checked? Did he gain anything by checking that box? Perhaps a trip back to the bank to correct the error would put his mind at ease.

Good luck!

There was no mention in her post of "US citizenship"

Bank forms are not official records and "permanently living in the US" is NOT an indication of immigration status at all. He has mode no claims of immigration status.

Non issue.

The question from the bank is not a legal term, it's just something they made up for their own internal schema. It's nothing to worry about.

:thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

He isn't in the States right now... He opened the bank account some time ago when he was here on B2. There is only $300 in it, not really any benefit.

I understand that "permanently residing in the US" isn't the same thing as claiming US citizenship, my question is if claiming LPR is illegal? Again, he was never asked the question whether he is a LPR or not. He discovered it after he went home with the bank account forms.

Claiming to be a Legal Permanent Resident when you are NOT a Legal Permanent Resident to gain benefits of being a Legal Permanent Resident is illegal.

He did not do that.

Robbing banks is illegal also and ...he did not do that.

NON issue.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The bolded part is the important part and is correct

The form DOES NOT ASK if he is a legal permanent resident. If I filled out the same form I would answer YES and I am not a legal permanent resident. So what?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Claiming to be a Legal Permanent Resident when you are NOT a Legal Permanent Resident to gain benefits of being a Legal Permanent Resident is illegal.

He did not do that.

Robbing banks is illegal also and ...he did not do that.

NON issue.

Thanks! :) Now we don't have to worry! yay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.