HawaiianCecil

Kingston field office closing!!!

26 posts in this topic

I just read that USCIS is closing the Kingston Embassy on March 1 and its stating that the embassy in Santo Domingo will assume all duties. Does this mean we will have to fly to the Dominican Republic for his interview??? I'd appreciate any kind of insight into this because I'm just in disbelief...Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.....Any Jamaica VJ members that gets an interview scheduled after March 1 - please share!

Here is the US Embassy in Jamaica website http://kingston.usembassy.gov/index.html there is nothing on here about any closing. Please post what you read and where did you ge this information.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Here is the US Embassy in Jamaica website http://kingston.usembassy.gov/index.html there is nothing on here about any closing. Please post what you read and where did you ge this information.

Read it on the USCIS website so I have to assume that it's true.....

On March 1, 2013, USCIS will permanently close its field office in Kingston, Jamaica and the USCIS Field Office in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic will assume Kingston’s former jurisdiction.

The Kingston Field Office had jurisdiction over Jamaica, Anguilla, Aruba, The Bahamas, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curaçao, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos Islands, and Guantanamo Bay Naval Station.

After March 1, 2013, applications or petitions previously accepted at the Kingston Field Office should be filed as directed below.

Edited by HawaiianCecil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I just read that USCIS is closing the Kingston Embassy on March 1 and its stating that the embassy in Santo Domingo will assume all duties. Does this mean we will have to fly to the Dominican Republic for his interview??? I'd appreciate any kind of insight into this because I'm just in disbelief...Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.....Any Jamaica VJ members that gets an interview scheduled after March 1 - please share!

I'm no immigration expect and such,i just visited the USCIS website and from my understanding it's not the embassy/consulate that is closing.It is the USCIS field office is closing off at the Kingston Embassy.

oh by the way it is the USCIS filed office that you file immigration petition with and not the actual embassy where you have your interview.

Edited by DOLLYBABY

A&J K1 visa Journey

Sent I-129F packet Sat-June 8,2013.

USCIS received 1-I29F Packet Wed-June 12,2013.

NOA1 Notification (email & text msg) and Notice Date Fri-June 14,2013.

Awaiting NOA1 hard copy in mail.................................

Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) On Thurs-June 20, 2013

NOA1 hard copy in the mail Fri-June 21,2013

I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) transferred from VSC to TSC On Fri-August 9, 2013

I129F,Petition for FIANCE(E) transfer and now being process at TSC Thur-August 15,2013

Receive Notice of Action Transfer (NOA-T) on Mon-August 19,2013

NOA2 Notification (Email) Wed-September 18,2013

NOA2 hard copy in the mail Tues-September 24,2013

I129F is shipped from USCIS to NVC Thurs-September 26,2013

NVC received approved I129F and assign case number Fri-October 4,2013

NVC shipped I129F to Embassy Wed-October 23,2013

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I think it just means they are getting rid of DCF and the field office in Jamaica.

I think they'd be clear if the IV unit at Kingston was closing though. We don't have an IV unit in Denmark or Norway any more and the cases are processed in Sweden. *shrugs* It wouldn't be the end of the world.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

USCIS has nothing whatever to do with embassies and consulates, that is the Department of State. If the consulate is closed before your interview you will hae to go to whichever consulate is designated as the alternate.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I think it just means they are getting rid of DCF and the field office in Jamaica.

I think they'd be clear if the IV unit at Kingston was closing though. We don't have an IV unit in Denmark or Norway any more and the cases are processed in Sweden. *shrugs* It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Maybe not if you live as close as you do but for someone in Jamaica, it is a very big deal to have to travel to the Dominican Republic.....

I'm no immigration expect and such,i just visited the USCIS website and from my understanding it's not the embassy/consulate that is closing.It is the USCIS field office is closing off at the Kingston Embassy.

oh by the way it is the USCIS filed office that you file immigration petition with and not the actual embassy where you have your interview.

Right, so if they close the field office then I'm looking at going to Dominican Republic......

I just read that USCIS is closing the Kingston field office on March 1 and its stating that the embassy in Santo Domingo will assume all duties. Does this mean we will have to fly to the Dominican Republic for his interview??? I'd appreciate any kind of insight into this because I'm just in disbelief...Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.....Any Jamaica VJ members that gets an interview scheduled after March 1 - please share!

Meant field office, not embassy but still not good....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Maybe not if you live as close as you do but for someone in Jamaica, it is a very big deal to have to travel to the Dominican Republic.....

Uhhhh, it is 950 km or about a 9 hour drive for us from our city in Denmark to Stockholm and will cost a lot in fuel and bridge tolls about. We don't have a car, so we'd actually have to use the train, which is an at least 10 hour trip and not cheap.

The distance between Kingston and Santo Domingo is 722 km.

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

USCIS does not issue VISAS. It does affect the direct consulate filing. If the only thing closing is the USCIS field office, it should not affect the issuance of K-1 visas.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

USCIS does not issue VISAS. It does affect the direct consulate filing. If the only thing closing is the USCIS field office, it should not affect the issuance of K-1 visas.

Thank you for that reply! I certainly hope not....

On March 1, 2013, USCIS will permanently close its field office in Kingston, Jamaica and the USCIS Field Office in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic will assume Kingston’s former jurisdiction.

I's exacly as it is written, the field office, there is nothing about the consular being closed. All interviews are held at the US Consular in Jamaica.

Two different agencies tha two diffren aspects of the visa process.

The field office of USCIS receives and review visa petiions for DCF

The US consular revivews and awards and approves visa.

Uhhhh, it is 950 km or about a 9 hour drive for us from our city in Denmark to Stockholm and will cost a lot in fuel and bridge tolls about. We don't have a car, so we'd actually have to use the train, which is an at least 10 hour trip and not cheap.

The distance between Kingston and Santo Domingo is 722 km.

Yeah, I'm from Sweden so I am well aware of the tolls, distances. There are no direct flights from Jamaica to the Dominican Republic at all so he'd have to go via Miami and of course, driving is not even an option for him :no:

Anyways, good luck to you on your journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Right, so if they close the field office then I'm looking at going to Dominican Republic......

no you won't go to Dominican republic for an interview.it's just the USCIS field office is closing. USCIS field office is the department that you locally go to file your original petition (s)...it's kinda like the Vermont center and California center etc.

A&J K1 visa Journey

Sent I-129F packet Sat-June 8,2013.

USCIS received 1-I29F Packet Wed-June 12,2013.

NOA1 Notification (email & text msg) and Notice Date Fri-June 14,2013.

Awaiting NOA1 hard copy in mail.................................

Alien Registration Number was changed relating to your I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) On Thurs-June 20, 2013

NOA1 hard copy in the mail Fri-June 21,2013

I129F, PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) transferred from VSC to TSC On Fri-August 9, 2013

I129F,Petition for FIANCE(E) transfer and now being process at TSC Thur-August 15,2013

Receive Notice of Action Transfer (NOA-T) on Mon-August 19,2013

NOA2 Notification (Email) Wed-September 18,2013

NOA2 hard copy in the mail Tues-September 24,2013

I129F is shipped from USCIS to NVC Thurs-September 26,2013

NVC received approved I129F and assign case number Fri-October 4,2013

NVC shipped I129F to Embassy Wed-October 23,2013

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.