sjr09

Armed guards at schools

125 posts in this topic

What can be done in our schools to protect our most vulnerable. Pros and Cons

The problem with the theory of gun control making the world much more peaceful is that it's simply not realistic. People who envision gun control resulting in a world with no gun violence are only thinking the thought half through.

Keep in mind criminals are people who break laws. If there was a law banning mags and assault rifles do you really think the criminals would just say, ok.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

I think the point is this:

The very people that rail against having the goverment watching us so much are all in favor with them putting guards in school. But shootings happen everywhere, schools, malls, movie theatres. Where does it end? It's all about context which is missing in most of these gun thread debates.

Good point.

I don't think it is a good comparison . An armed guard in a school does not limit my personal rights, it is no more or less restrictive than a policeman patrolling the streets.

You being one of the brighter members of this little soiree, I am sure you know it is fairly common in many schools. We have our own police force what passes for a school around here.

Thanks for the compliment, when we went to school we didn't have security guards. But times have changed, my Aunt who still teaches says they have a guard but he ins't armed. He is highly trained in martial arts so the kids don't mess with him, she even told me he has a nickname, Robocop:) I don't have a problem with them, just pointing out the irony of it all.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I personally do not want to live in a country where the only response to violence is to have guns everywhere. Guns at the schools my kids go to, guns at the movie theater, guns at the mall, guns at church. Is that really the kind of America that people are striving for?

Why would we want to live like that? Why should we have to? Why should throwing more guns at a problem be a logical solution?

What can be done in our schools to protect our most vulnerable. Pros and Cons

The problem with the theory of gun control making the world much more peaceful is that it's simply not realistic. People who envision gun control resulting in a world with no gun violence are only thinking the thought half through.

Keep in mind criminals are people who break laws. If there was a law banning mags and assault rifles do you really think the criminals would just say, ok.

But if the amount of deaths can be lessened, what is the harm in that? The point is you can't eliminate gun violence, but you can reduce it. Everyone knows you can't get rid of it completely, but you can make it harder for the wrong people to get their hands on such ordance. The issue here is people think if you take away the assault rifles and such then the bad guys get them and kill people with them. But what neighborhood does that happen in? I've said it before, the most armed folks live in the burbs. In the urban and rural parts where gun violence is so common you can't leave the house without a piece, you will find less people are armed. It's about the economy just as much it is about education. If you don't feel safe with just a handgun in your house and you need that AR-15 or multiple shotguns, maybe you need to move...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I personally do not want to live in a country where the only response to violence is to have guns everywhere. Guns at the schools my kids go to, guns at the movie theater, guns at the mall, guns at church. Is that really the kind of America that people are striving for?

Why would we want to live like that? Why should we have to? Why should throwing more guns at a problem be a logical solution?

Because it's the easiest solution to the problem. The split second you start talking about "gun control" you know where it leads.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The problem is the guns are already everywhere. Legal and illegal. No way to un-ring that bell. And no, buybacks aren't the answer in the U.S. before someone links to some B.S. Australian source.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We have “Gun Free Zones” which are the ones that these people are going after. These places are soft targets as it tells a person who wants to commit these types of crimes that you have plenty of time to attack a large number of people before first responders can arrive to cause you a problem. If this same person did not know if faculty members had been trained to carry and were or were not armed then they look for other targets. They are looking to get their named remembered by doing the most heinous things they can because the media is all over it. That’s the thing about concealed carry, if you don’t know who has one even if nobody does you will second guess your chances of getting away with the desired results.

1070663.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, when we went to school we didn't have security guards. But times have changed, my Aunt who still teaches says they have a guard but he ins't armed. He is highly trained in martial arts so the kids don't mess with him, she even told me he has a nickname, Robocop:) I don't have a problem with them, just pointing out the irony of it all.

My high school back in the late 70’s ( flash back) had security guards, large school. But then gun shooting was unheard of only a few skin on skin fights. What has changed our sanity or society? I believe this to be the root of our problem not the guns.

Timeline

We have "Gun Free Zones" which are the ones that these people are going after. These places are soft targets as it tells a person who wants to commit these types of crimes that you have plenty of time to attack a large number of people before first responders can arrive to cause you a problem. If this same person did not know if faculty members had been trained to carry and were or were not armed then they look for other targets. They are looking to get their named remembered by doing the most heinous things they can because the media is all over it. That's the thing about concealed carry, if you don't know who has one even if nobody does you will second guess your chances of getting away with the desired results.

I think that pretty much sums up the current situation. The NY state Assembly, Piers Morgan, the NRA, or whoever isn't going to stop something like Newtown happening again. It's a sad reality. Get used to it.

Filed: Timeline
II may not be the smartest guy in the world, but if having an armed guard in a school is unsafe and would not deter crime,, why do they have armed guards on armored cars.. I guess our Money is more important than our kids.

Just saying.

On the other hand, I'm really not at all worried about that armed guard shooting the money he's supposed to protect.

Just saying.

1f7U2Z.SlMa.91.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My high school back in the late 70’s ( flash back) had security guards, large school. But then gun shooting was unheard of only a few skin on skin fights. What has changed our sanity or society? I believe this to be the root of our problem not the guns.

I don't like guns and am all for gun control but you have a point. Society is way more f*cked up now than it was 40 years ago. There is more to these mass shootings than just having too many guns. Just banning guns isn't gonna solve all the problems. We need to look into why kids nowadays are not right in the head.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

I don't like guns and am all for gun control but you have a point. Society is way more f*cked up now than it was 40 years ago. There is more to these mass shootings than just having too many guns. Just banning guns isn't gonna solve all the problems. We need to look into why kids nowadays are not right in the head.

And it isn't just kids. Why are people who are down on their luck choosing to off their families instead of deal with their problems? How many times do you hear of a guy losing his job and he ends up killing his entire family over it? Or going to work and killing some of his former coworkers.

The mentally ill in this country have an easier time getting a handgun than getting help.

Timeline

Bingo!

I think that pretty much sums up the current situation. The NY state Assembly, Piers Morgan, the NRA, or whoever isn't going to stop something like Newtown happening again. It's a sad reality. Get used to it.

It's hard to get used to when this "reality" seems to be an American reality, not a global reality. There is unspeakable violence everywhere, yet it seems to happen on such a bigger scale here. Or at least more often. Not in civilized, comparable countries anyway.