I love my Canuck

What is going on with the Vermont Service Center?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Will someone please send me a word of encouragement about the Vermont Service Center experience they've *recently* had? We only got our NOA1 in late November, and based on the USCIS trendline, VSC is 18 months PAST their 5-month national goal to process the paperwork! That's horrible! Our lives are on hold in so many ways during this time, and I just can't wrap my mind around how VSC went from being the fastest to the slowest processing center!

Does anyone have anything encouraging to offer? Insights into why this happened or if /when it might turn around for the VSC processing times?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Will someone please send me a word of encouragement about the Vermont Service Center experience they've *recently* had? We only got our NOA1 in late November, and based on the USCIS trendline, VSC is 18 months PAST their 5-month national goal to process the paperwork! That's horrible! Our lives are on hold in so many ways during this time, and I just can't wrap my mind around how VSC went from being the fastest to the slowest processing center!

Does anyone have anything encouraging to offer? Insights into why this happened or if /when it might turn around for the VSC processing times?

Thanks!

18 months? No. About 2-3 months behind their new 6 month goal. But you should have been (or will be) redirected to NBC or a field office since you applied after Aug 15, 2012.

It happened because of the increase in I-130 apps sent into Vermont over the months of March-June. Now since they are sending most I-130 apps to NBC (MSC) Vermont can catch up on I-130 apps while the NBC and field offices are taking approx 3 months to approve paperwork (depending on the office it is sent to).

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

18 months? No. About 2-3 months behind their new 6 month goal. But you should have been redirected to NBC or a field office since you applied after Aug 15, 2012.

Does that apply to K1s?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

18 months? No. About 2-3 months behind their new 6 month goal. But you should have been (or will be) redirected to NBC or a field office since you applied after Aug 15, 2012.

It happened because of the increase in I-130 apps sent into Vermont over the months of March-June. Now since they are sending most I-130 apps to NBC (MSC) Vermont can catch up on I-130 apps while the NBC and field offices are taking approx 3 months to approve paperwork (depending on the office it is sent to).

Thank hou for this :)))

Timeline

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

Timeline

Does that apply to K1s?

Yes, big thank you, Nola!

Immigration attorneys we are not :)

Well, I based my exasperated assessment on what USCIS's website indicates. As of yesterday, when I visited their tool for estimating processing times and entered I-130, Permanent resident filing for spouse, and VSC, it spit out the following:

- USCIS National Goal: 5.0 months

- USCIS National Average: 11.9 months

- Vermont Service Center: 22.9 months

Am I reading that graphic incorrectly?

How do I get more granular information to understand how long the wait is between steps? (NOA1 to NOA2; then NOA2 to interview; and anything else that comes after that)?

Thanks soo very much for your help!

Timeline

Yes, big thank you, Nola!

Immigration attorneys we are not :)

Well, I based my exasperated assessment on what USCIS's website indicates. As of yesterday, when I visited their tool for estimating processing times and entered I-130, Permanent resident filing for spouse, and VSC, it spit out the following:

- USCIS National Goal: 5.0 months

- USCIS National Average: 11.9 months

- Vermont Service Center: 22.9 months

Am I reading that graphic incorrectly?

How do I get more granular information to understand how long the wait is between steps? (NOA1 to NOA2; then NOA2 to interview; and anything else that comes after that)?

Thanks soo very much for your help!

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were a permanent resident filing for a spouse. I thought you were a citizen filing for your spouse. In that case, yes they are about 18 months behind unless you are sent elsewhere.

But if you are sent elsewhere they might have different processing times than VSC. I would go with 18 months, though.

Edited by bsd058

Timeline

Just to be sure I understand...

In this instance, I am disadvantaged by over a year by virtue of being a U.S. citizen myself, petitioning for my Canadian husband?

Does this mean my paperwork has NOT been routed to the NBC, despite the fact that my claim number indicates "MSC" before the number?

I am sooo confused!

Timeline

In this instance, I am disadvantaged by over a year by virtue of being a U.S. citizen myself, petitioning for my Canadian husband?

Does this mean my paperwork has NOT been routed to the NBC, despite the fact that my claim number indicates "MSC" before the number?

I am sooo confused!

Are you a citizen or a permanent resident?

Timeline

I am sooooo embarrassed! Of course I raced through the drop-down and SHOULD have selected the U.S. citizen option. Thanks for patiently directing me. :)

The sun is shining a lot brighter now that I entered that correctly!

National goal: 5.0 months

National average: 5.5 months

Vermont Service Center: 6.2 months

So how do I understand those times in a more granular level of detail? Does that mean that base on our 11/27/12 NOA1 date, we can expect the NOA2 around late May? How do we estimate the time from NOA2 to interview and from interview to him being admitted with the visa?

Thanks so much to all of you guys. It truly does make it more bearable knowing you're in it with us!

Timeline

I am sooo confused!

Yes you were sent to NBC. lol. So you'll be approved soon probably. Sorry. This was too confusing. :lol: MSC means you were sent to NBC. And you should have put this thread under the IR-1/CR-1 board. Don't worry about it. A mod will do it for you.

Since you were sent to MSC and not VSC, those time frames you looked up don't have anything to do with you. Your time frames aren't posted on USCIS.gov. But I have been seeing NBC filers being approved within about 3 months. That seems to be the norm at least.

Edited by bsd058

Timeline

And bsd058 -- just said a little prayer for you and your wife -- for a speedy response on your I-130 approval! How exciting to be nearing that point! Feeling excited for you guys!!

:) Thanks!

Timeline

I am quite new to posting on the site, so again thanks for your long suffering! How do I move my post (if possible)? I began a new thread after reading through some search results and didn't even mind the thread home when I did so. Sorry again for causing confusion!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.