The Mean Lady

Grocery Shopping on a Budget

77 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Was wondering if anyone had any awesome tips or recipes for really cheap food.

Because of some car issues I came into this month, I lost almost my entire grocery budget.

I've got about $30-$35 to feed us for next week.

I do NOT need meat, really, as I have 10 meals in the fridge which include the following:

Fast Fry Chops

Bone in Center Pork Chops

Ground Beef

Stewing Veal

Cheap Steaks

Bone in Chicken Breast

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

So, really, probably won't need to purchase meat.

I'm TERRIBLE when it comes to purchasing lunches.

This is what I've got on my list so far:

(2) Sidekicks (these are meal sides) 97c ea

(2) michelina's microwave meals 97c ea

(3) primo soups 99c ea

(1) box of honey bunches of oats 1.97

(1) box of ice cream 1.97

(1) box of flakies pastries 1.99

(2) lbs roma tomatoes 1.76

(1) head of broccoli 77c

(1) can of tom soup 79c

(1) family pack of boneless skinless chicken 5.99 OPTIONAL (don't need but REALLY good price!)

Total w/o chicken = $17.09

Total w/chicken = 23.08

More stipulations:

• Don't need noodles or rice. I can't really eat complex carbs and I have enough in the cabinet anyways.

• Don't really have a lot of extra condiments in the house

• Don't need milk

• Don't currently have cheese and it's VERY expensive to get if I need it.

SO! I'm looking for the following:

• Cheap recipes for dinner that can use the meat I have (the meat is for dinners only)

• What else can I spend the last 10 bucks on that will help us out

• Any other tips as my typical budget is $75 per week and even that is leaving us hungry at the end of the week

• Good ideas for snacks and lunches

Edited by KDH

oldlady.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

you can make a big batch of something for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch. that is what I do for my husband sometimes..

I notice you don't have a lot of fruit and veggies on your list.. maybe add some more of those..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

you can make a big batch of something for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch. that is what I do for my husband sometimes..

I notice you don't have a lot of fruit and veggies on your list.. maybe add some more of those..

Our veggies consist of tomatoes (which my husband eats as snacks), the broccoli (thinking of making broccoli and beef again as I did a good job on that last time) and peas. But I'm almost out of them as I'm about to use up the bag for my chicken pot pie tonight. I also have a can of corn, but my husband won't just eat canned corn. I have to put it in something. Like my chicken pot pie. But this is an extra can. Not sure what to do with it at the moment.

/looks up how to make corn chowder soup

The problem with leftovers is that my husband will barely touch them.

He lets things sit in the fridge and never bothers.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm thinking of making some french onion soup. that sounds yummy.

Corn chowder is way too complicated.

Suggestions for my can of corn are welcome.

With some soup, the can of corn, some whatever is leftover veggies, ground beef, and mashed potato mix (which you can get for super cheap) you can make Shepherd's Pie on the cheap... It is actually on the few things that I'll eat leftovers of and is actually better the next day.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

well, you have to warm them up and sit it in front of him then..lol

I pack the leftovers in my husband's lunch that he takes to work so he has no choice...lol

My husband doesn't work and I do all day so it's not my job to decide what he eats for lunch.

Just to tell him to quit complaining about it.

With some soup, the can of corn, some whatever is leftover veggies, ground beef, and mashed potato mix (which you can get for super cheap) you can make Shepherd's Pie on the cheap... It is actually on the few things that I'll eat leftovers of and is actually better the next day.

Shepherds pie is delicious but I only have (1) thing of ground beef and that's for hamburger helper, so that's a no go.

Maybe I can put the can in the hamburger helper heehee

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Well, I don't know how you want to use all the products but I'm gonna write what I buy/cook when I am on a budget (every month).

Beans

Use them to make soup. I fry a clove of garlic in a couple of tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and bacon then add canned beans, chilly powder and some tomatoes paste/diced tomatoes/fresh tomatoes (mostly to give a nicer color and salt. Add a cup or 2 of water (depends on how much liquid you want) and let it cook for 20-30 minutes. At this point you can either eat it as is, or add some more water and cook pasta in it. I suggest ditalini.

Chick peas.

Same cooking as the beans but you only need garlic oil and chick peas. You can add the water to cook the pasta too.

Peas

Olive oil, onion, bacon. Add peas and a little bit of tomatoes. Add a cup of water, let it cook. Add some more water to cook pasta in it OR break an egg in the pot and eat everything like a soup or cook pasta and break and egg too.

Potatoes and tuna meatloaf! Boil potatoes, mash them and add tuna and 1 or 2 eggs. Give it a meatloaf shape, cover with breadcrumbs and put it in the oven.

Also when we're too broke we just buy a bunch of eggs and add it to ramen or make omelettes.

I eat A LOT of broccoli and since I am Italian I eat them with pasta, if you want the recipe I'll write it for you.

I make a lot of salads with grilled chicken. Or use it to make a soup with vegetables.

I think you can make quite a lot of lunches and dinners with the stuff you have if you add some more veggies. I'd buy zucchini and lettuce. Maybe some eggplants if you have a good recipe for those but basically just buy a lot of fruit and veggies so that you can make a lot of side dishes that fill your stomach and you can use less meat.

I don't know how to help you, I kinda suck at planning meals in fact I always waste a lot of stuff but I wanna tell you a story. My grandmother had 13 kids (post war time in Italy) and the family was very very poor so she had to use tricks to make her kids feel full before night time. She would literally force the kids to eat everything with bread or in a sandwich form. Meatloaf? In two slices of bred! Beans soup? With a lot of croutons! Eggs? On bread! That way she was sure that her kids would have enough food in their belly before going to sleep. She would even slice 1 apple in 8 pieces and divide them between 2 kids, that way she could trick them into thinking that they had a whole apple (that we usually chop in 4 pieces) when they actually had half.

Also check youtube. I follow Laura Vitali and the OnePotChef, lots of times they have cheap quick and easy dinners.

Good luck!

Giovanna

Timeline

It's funny because my husband isn't a picky eater, but every time someone suggests something, I think 'my husband doesn't like eggs/pasta/etc'... starting to realize he IS a picky eater.

I'm perfectly fine to boil some buttered noodles for lunch and i'm happy.

Had some today for lunch, in fact, but he just looks at me like i'm crazy.

I think i'll try that potato tuna meatloaf... sounds interesting and I have some extra bread crumbs and 1 potato so I'm half way there!

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Tonight's chicken pot pie is delicious as usual.

I could probably make it cheaper if I could actually make pie crust.

Anyone have any good recipes for that?

I like making this because it only requires (1) chicken breast.

So when I get family packs of (5), perfect for the odd one out ^_^

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How about chili? Two cans of diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, can of white beans, an onion, some chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Pretty cheap ingredients, filling and easy to make. It also makes a lot!

Spaghetti is pretty cheap and easy also.

Edited by SunnySanDiego

Timeline

How about chili? Two cans of diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, can of white beans, an onion, some chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Pretty cheap ingredients, filling and easy to make.

Spaghetti is pretty cheap and easy also.

thats like 6 or 7 bucks! and spaghetti falls under complex carbs. =(

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A good easy meal for your bone in center pork chops. Place them in a baking dish. Slice an onion over top (optional). Open the can of tomato soup (mushroom soup also works). Pour undiluted contents over top. Cover with foil wrap (or cover). Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes. Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes and serve with steamed broccoli or other vegetable.

Make a veal stew with your stewing veal. Brown the meat and put it into a large pot. Cut up and add: one onion; 3 or 4 potatoes (based on size). 3 or 4 carrots, (buy carrots - they tend to be cheap). Throw in your tin of corn. Add a can of tomatoes. Add sufficient water to cover contents. If you have a bay leaf, add it. Throw in any other types of vegetables you might have or enjoy (turnips, squash, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, etc.). Check the reduced groceries features in the produce department and use those in your stew. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer. Simmer at least one hour - the longer the better. Add water if it gets low. You can thicken it with a tablespoon of flour mixed in with some of the liquid shortly before you are ready to eat. Serve with bread or crackers or biscuits (you can make those - lots of recipes available).

For lunches, can you make him a sandwich and leave it for him? That way he doesn't have to 'do' anything, although if he is at home all day and not working, I would just let him fend for himself. It is his choice whether or not to eat. Give him a loaf of bread, the peanut butter jar and a knife and tell him he is on his own :lol:.

Do you have flour in the house? I have a great recipe for no knead homemade bread that is great when you are on a reduced budget. You just need bread flour, yeast, salt and water. Here is where I posted the recipe almost 2 years ago: http://www.visajourn...ost__p__4457286

so additions to your grocery list: more potatoes (buy the cheapest 5 lb option); a bag of carrots; reduced rate vegetables or any vegetable on sale. You should be able to get those with the money you still have available.

Oh, apples are also relatively cheap right now so see if you can find a cheap bag of apples. You can cut apples up into your veal stew, stir fry them with onions to serve over your fast fry pork chops, remove their core and put in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon inside, then put them in a pan of water and bake them until soft for a great dessert.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

i have to stick to wheat bread unfortunately. ill giv the chops a try.

been wanting something new to do w them.

aaaand he doesnt do peanut butter lmao nor do wr actually even have any lol

side note. seriously typing on a vita is ridiculously hard.

the screen is just too big to reach the whole keyboard

oldlady.gif