rush713

Namechange after K-1 AOS

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a couple questions Im hoping someone can answer. My wife came here on a K1, I have already filed for her AOS and am awaiting the processing of the I-485. My question is that my wife decided she wants to change her last name to mine, so my question is can this be done after the AOS? Is it more of a problem, what is/would have been the easiest way to do this ?

I definitely want to do it before all she eventually gets a driver's license etc because that will just add more things that need to be changed.

Can anyone shed some light on the easiest way for my situation?

Thanks

The easiest way to do it would have been to apply for AOS in married name. If you have an interview, you can ask if they can change the name; otherwise, your GC will be coming in the maiden name. You can pay $450 or so for a replacement GC and get the name changed, or you can wait 2 years until Removal of Conditions and get it changed on the card then.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

The easiest way to do it would have been to apply for AOS in married name. If you have an interview, you can ask if they can change the name; otherwise, your GC will be coming in the maiden name. You can pay $450 or so for a replacement GC and get the name changed, or you can wait 2 years until Removal of Conditions and get it changed on the card then.

'

Thanks for the info,

2 questions

1. Whats the chances they will change it at the interview? Would I need to do anything beforehand like get a SS card in her married name? Can I get a SS card in her married name at this point?

2. the 2 years is from the date of marriage right? next month will already be a year so with processing time I might not be to far off from the removal of restrictions date.

Thanks again

1. Depends on the IO. Having other ID in married name is not a part of their decision - it's mainly if they remember and their supervisor OKs it.

2. It's two years from the date the person became a LPR, so more then 2 years from now. It's not the date of the marriage.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

'

Thanks for the info,

2 questions

1. Whats the chances they will change it at the interview? Would I need to do anything beforehand like get a SS card in her married name? Can I get a SS card in her married name at this point?

2. the 2 years is from the date of marriage right? next month will already be a year so with processing time I might not be to far off from the removal of restrictions date.

1. A lot of people have had success doing it this way BUT K1's don't always get interviews.

2. 2 years from the "LPR since" date on the GC which you don't get until the GC is approved so 2+ years at this point in time.

She can be known by your last name but all her ID docs will be in her maiden name, until ROC or unless you pay to change the card.

Im a little confused about a couple points. Maybe you guys can help me clear this up.......

1. If the AOS is in the maiden name, is it possible to get a SS card in the married name?

2. If I can get her a SS card in the married name, can a driver license then be issued in this name?

I guess what Im asking can state id's be taken out in the married name while the immigration docs would be in the maiden name and these can be switched over later???

I guess my thought is that I could get her a DL and SS card and then when restrictions are removed we could switch everything over, as I really really dont want to pay another $450 for a new GC.

Any other advice?

Thanks again for all the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. No. It will match her immigration documents

2. N/A due to #1

**Edit - you can TRY at the DMV to get the license in married name by showing the marriage certificate but most likely they'll match to the SSN.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.