jft

I-129F Question 18 examples wanted

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok so I think I have everything done with our I-129F application except question #18, the explanation of how we met. I am not quite sure how verbose to be, I have heard everything from a paragraph to a full page is appropriate. Some examples/suggestions would be most welcome.

Our situation is made all the more interesting because we were originally introduced in the 1990's by a lady I rented an apartment from and who ran a small-time introduction agency on the side over 12 years ago (she stopped doing introductions long before the IMBRA was passed). We lost contact and then reconnected this year over the internet, the old sparks reignited and now we are engaged. But this does bring up the question of how to address our original meeting without tripping an RFE. I did speak to a immigration lawyer that said that question #19 does not apply in this situation so that's good but it's still difficult to know how exactly to answer question #18.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok so I think I have everything done with our I-129F application except question #18, the explanation of how we met. I am not quite sure how verbose to be, I have heard everything from a paragraph to a full page is appropriate. Some examples/suggestions would be most welcome.

Our situation is made all the more interesting because we were originally introduced in the 1990's by a lady I rented an apartment from and who ran a small-time introduction agency on the side over 12 years ago (she stopped doing introductions long before the IMBRA was passed). We lost contact and then reconnected this year over the internet, the old sparks reignited and now we are engaged. But this does bring up the question of how to address our original meeting without tripping an RFE. I did speak to a immigration lawyer that said that question #19 does not apply in this situation so that's good but it's still difficult to know how exactly to answer question #18.

Hi, I would start with when you two connected about a year ago on the internet. List the date and the website, how often you to communicated to each other and what type of communications.

I have copied a portion of my description that I submitted. I hope it helps.

Question #18 of I-129F (Supplement) – Have your fiancé(e) met and seen you with the two-year period immediately preceding the filing of this petition?

July 16, 2012

To whom it may concern:

I, (Your name)met my fiancé, (fiance name) on the website (name of website) in (date), and we connected immediately. We both felt really comfortable with each other from the beginning. We talked to each other every way possible, SKYPE, YAHOO, telephone, email and text messages for hours each day and night. We also would send each other cards and gifts through the Mail. We fell in love with each other and we decided to meet each other in person, even though I have a fear of flying, nothing was going to keep me away from the woman of my dreams, no matter how many flights it would take to get there. Well two flights and 23 hours later I arrived in Manila, Philippines on June 30, 2012. We were so excited to see each other when we finally met at the Ninoy Aquino International Airoport, Manila, Philippines. We gave each other the biggest hug and sweetest kiss. We stayed one night in Manila before flying to her home on July 1, 2012. When we arrived in Legaspi airport, her entire family was there to greet us. I felt as if I had known her family for a very long time since I saw them on Skype and Yahoo almost as much as my fiancé. We then took a tricycle to their house where they had Posters welcoming me there. They made me feel so special, just like part of the family. I stayed at their home for the entire week I was there. We went to different places and she showed me many things about the Filipino culture, that I had never seen or known before. One of my favorite places was the Mayan Volcano, with the Perfect Cone. I proposed to my fiancé in front of her family and friends on July 2, 2012 and she happily said “YES”, making me the happiest man on the planet. Everyone there was so happy and excited for us. Her family is so happy to see that she is happy and loved by me.

The week went by so fast and we were both in tears when I had to leave on July 7, 2012. We are very excited about our future as husband and wife and having a family together and are eager to process this application so that we may be together as soon as possible to spend the rest of our lives loving each other.

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

Good luck to you :thumbs:

Please refer to the GUIDES section of this website and click on K1, it will give you all the info that is needed and there are also examples of how to fill out the forms that are need.

I Looooooove my baby Lyn.

Timeline

Thanks for the example! I am a little concerned when I looked at your timeline that it's been 6 months and you haven't got your NOA2 yet. I was under the impression that usually takes 2-3 months?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the example! I am a little concerned when I looked at your timeline that it's been 6 months and you haven't got your NOA2 yet. I was under the impression that usually takes 2-3 months?

No, I wish, at one point CSC-California was getting some approvals in 3 months, but they have slowed down and VSC-Vermont is speeding up a bit, but the average is about 6 months. Try to be patient, it will get really stressful being away from your fiance. We are really hoping that we will get our NOA2 this month. Hang in there.

Edited by wilfon

I Looooooove my baby Lyn.

Timeline

Missed that you are using Vermont. I see that California is at about 110 days now which isn't too bad I guess. We are hoping to get though the entire process before August is over and I think as long as we don't run into any glitches that should be possible.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The question is, did you meet in person in the last 2 years? Meeting again over the internet doesn't count, you have to physically meet in person within the last 2 years. An example of what to write:

We met at (some place) on (some date). We spent xx time together.

You will need to include proof that validates your response, such as passport stamps, boarding passes, pictures, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Verbatim

While traveling from Odessa, Ukraine on September 19,2007 I met Alla while I was waiting in line to buy bus tickets at the airport on Prague, CZ Republic. We filed our petition in March, 2008

You are describing how you met IN PERSON within the two years prior to filing the petition.

The paragraph you wrote above covers it. Leave out the immigration lawyer part, and tell us HOW you met her in person within the twe years prior to filing the I-129f. You MUST have met with her again, within the last 2 years to qualify. Your metting in the 1990's is meaningless at this point. If you have not met with her IN PERSON since then you need to do so before filing the petition

The question is, did you meet in person in the last 2 years? Meeting again over the internet doesn't count, you have to physically meet in person within the last 2 years. An example of what to write:

We met at (some place) on (some date). We spent xx time together.

You will need to include proof that validates your response, such as passport stamps, boarding passes, pictures, etc.

:thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No. Currently taking about 6-7 months (Vermont) for the petition approval and then you have to go through NVC and the Counsulate. At this point figure 8-10 months from filing until she arrives in the USA. Could be faster but unlikely.

When we filed our petition the petition was approved in TWO months (58 days) but it still took 6 months before she arrived. The petition is not a visa.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Describe in two sentences where and when you met in person within the last two years prior to the filing of the petition. That's it. Two sentences. This is not meant to be so mysterious.

Your supporting evidence, which you will outline in your cover letter, see Example Forms, will further discuss and detail your enclosed evidence that will satisfy that you two really did meet in person. Some evidence in primary and others is secondary. Include examples of both.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Describe in two sentences where and when you met in person within the last two years prior to the filing of the petition. That's it. Two sentences. This is not meant to be so mysterious.

Your supporting evidence, which you will outline in your cover letter, see Example Forms, will further discuss and detail your enclosed evidence that will satisfy that you two really did meet in person. Some evidence in primary and others is secondary. Include examples of both.

Ok. I will approach it from that perspective. We have meet three times this year and spent a total of a month together and I have a pile of supporting documentation (airline tickets, train tickets in the same 2-person compartment, hotel receipts from a hotel a couple of blocks from her apartment, photos, etc so I think we should be ok. The only part they might object to is that only a few of the boarding passes actually have the year. I have itineraries with the year and a couple of the passes two/from her city have the year listed but the majority do not. The hotel receipts do have the year so that backs up the boarding passes. I also included both my birth certificate and a full copy of my passport with the entry/exit stamps, visas, etc all clearly readable so there can be little doubt that I travelled to her city on the dates indicated and stayed at a hotel very near where she lives.

Timeline

Ok. I will approach it from that perspective. We have meet three times this year and spent a total of a month together and I have a pile of supporting documentation (airline tickets, train tickets in the same 2-person compartment, hotel receipts from a hotel a couple of blocks from her apartment, photos, etc so I think we should be ok. The only part they might object to is that only a few of the boarding passes actually have the year. I have itineraries with the year and a couple of the passes two/from her city have the year listed but the majority do not. The hotel receipts do have the year so that backs up the boarding passes. I also included both my birth certificate and a full copy of my passport with the entry/exit stamps, visas, etc all clearly readable so there can be little doubt that I travelled to her city on the dates indicated and stayed at a hotel very near where she lives.

For the petition you only have to show you have met in person ONE TIME in the 24 months prior to filing. Keep the other evidence for the interview.

This is not the OJ Simpson trial. You are providing plausible evidence that you have met one time in the last 24 months. Heck, I provided evidence Alla and I arrived on the same flight and stayed at the same hotel but I never saw her on the airplane and there were hundreds of other women at the hotel I never met those days...so trying to formulate some ironclad evidence you did, in fact, meet is simply overdoing it.

Passport stamps, boarding passes and hotel receipts along with 2-3 photos are enough. I sent only ONE photo

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

For the petition you only have to show you have met in person ONE TIME in the 24 months prior to filing. Keep the other evidence for the interview.

This is not the OJ Simpson trial. You are providing plausible evidence that you have met one time in the last 24 months. Heck, I provided evidence Alla and I arrived on the same flight and stayed at the same hotel but I never saw her on the airplane and there were hundreds of other women at the hotel I never met those days...so trying to formulate some ironclad evidence you did, in fact, meet is simply overdoing it.

Passport stamps, boarding passes and hotel receipts along with 2-3 photos are enough. I sent only ONE photo

Gary is correct. For the petition you only need to document one meeting.....however you can then build upon that meeting evidence for your documentation for the interview of the evolution of your relationship leading to the intention to marry.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.