trinket

Dad's visit

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hey Visajourney folks,

It has been a long time since I have lurked in these forums but here is a little background. I came to USA on IR-1 back in November 2008. I have been eligible to apply for citizenship for a year and half now, but I never applied since I really don't see a need for citizenship. Anyways, my husband and I are expecting our first child this spring and we were hoping to have my dad visit us for couple of months to see his first grandchild. So he is applying for tourist visa that is B-2.

I will be sending my dad all the required documents, as in copy of my green-card, copy of boarding pass of me and husband traveling to India three times so far in the past 4 years, proof of my pregnancy and as such. And of course my dad will have all the required documents showing the properties he own, his bank records, telephone bills showing ongoing calls between us, his monthly pension, my brother's birth certificate proving that my dad has another child who is in India and he will have to come back for him. Also just to add my dad is 61 years of age, so he is a senior citizen.

But what I am wondering is, do I need to send a notarized invitation for my dad? I don't mind to send it, but I feel like even if I post it, he might not get it in time because of the bad rep Indian postal system has got for themselves. I will scan the document and have him take a copy of the scanned document but will that be enough? From the Consulate website that I read, it seems like they didn't focus much on invitation letter. But I do realize its better to be over prepared.

Anyways, any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Edited by trinket

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You don't need to send or do anything for Dad.

He has to be approved based on his own merits and his ties to his home country.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

You may be shooting yourself in the foot with all that info. He needs to be able to convince the CO he's just coming to visit and can do so on his own. You swearing up and down he'll come back or that you can afford the tickets/travel insurance will not help his case.

Some parents get visas with no issues, some are denied but re-interview about 6 months - 1 year later and are approved, some get refused numerous times and the only method to get them to the US is via the I130. His success will be based on his information/merits/ties to India and not what you are able to provide about the impending trip.

Timeline

I hope there is no confusion regarding the financial obligations. I am not taking any financial responsibility for his traveling, he will be the one paying for it. When I said bank statements and such,I meant his bank statements.

Shouldn't I send the copy of my pregnancy, so he can show why he is wanting to come? I think I will let go of the invitation letter,

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Is it just your dad?

The pregnancy issue gets sticky. If a soon-to-be grandma were involved I'd say absolutely NOT. Don't go there. If asked, of course you need to answer truthfully but there is way too much mummy-coming-to-visit turning into mummy-never-left-because-she's-become-the-child-care-provider.

With a dad though, that sort of typical cultural baggage/expectation just doesn't exist. Who hears about a grandfather stepping up to be a grandpa-cum-manny?

I still wouldn't bring it up unless the CO asks about it....

Timeline

Yes, just my dad because my mom passed away long ago. It is not a child care provider kind of a situation but is still attached. You see, my husband will get only one week off and we don't have any other friends or family to provide me some assistance for the first few weeks. So I requested my dad if he would come for a couple of months and help us a little which he has agreed to.

Ok, I will send him the information regarding pregnancy but I will ask him to keep it as backup, only answer if asked. Thanks a lot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.