^_^

Chris Christie defends NJ Transit chief for misstep that cost $100 million

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

NJ Governor Christie is offering a full-throated defense of NJ Transit chief James Weinstein’s decision to store rail trains in yards that flooded during Sandy — a misstep that cost the agency $100 million.

Reporter: in light of the report last week that NJ Transit had been warned months ahead of time that rail yards in Kearny would likely flood in the event of a storm like Sandy, do you still support the leadership?

Christie: "I absolutely support the leadership — and I don’t believe that that’s what the report said. I mean, I think you’ve gilded that report up pretty well in the lead up to your question. I don’t think that’s what the report said. I think these guys made the best judgement they could under the circumstances. And all of you are geniuses after. Once you see that the Kearny yards flooded, you could say ‘well, geez, they should have moved the trains.’ Well, you know, if they knew for sure it was going to flood, believe me, [executive director] Jim Weinstein would have moved the trains. This is a guy with decades of experience in government, with extraordinary competence, who made the best decision he could make at the time. Sometimes, people make wrong decisions. It happens. It’s not a hanging offense."

The head of NJ Transit, Jim Weinstein, told a state panel last month the agency relied on past experience — and the understanding that it had up to 20 more years to prepare for climate change — when it came where to store its rolling stock during the storm.

http://transportationnation.org/2013/01/03/christie-on-nj-transit-storm-decisions-not-a-hanging-offense/

Edited by ^_^

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1357241364' post='5900901]

NJ Governor Christie is offering a full-throated defense of NJ Transit chief James Weinstein's decision to store rail trains in yards that flooded during Sandy — a misstep that cost the agency $100 million.

Reporter: in light of the report last week that NJ Transit had been warned months ahead of time that rail yards in Kearny would likely flood in the event of a storm like Sandy, do you still support the leadership?

Christie: "I absolutely support the leadership — and I don't believe that that's what the report said. I mean, I think you've gilded that report up pretty well in the lead up to your question. I don't think that's what the report said. I think these guys made the best judgement they could under the circumstances. And all of you are geniuses after. Once you see that the Kearny yards flooded, you could say 'well, geez, they should have moved the trains.' Well, you know, if they knew for sure it was going to flood, believe me, [executive director] Jim Weinstein would have moved the trains. This is a guy with decades of experience in government, with extraordinary competence, who made the best decision he could make at the time. Sometimes, people make wrong decisions. It happens. It's not a hanging offense."

The head of NJ Transit, Jim Weinstein, told a state panel last month the agency relied on past experience — and the understanding that it had up to 20 more years to prepare for climate change — when it came where to store its rolling stock during the storm.

http://transportatio...anging-offense/

OMG what is good little liberal Dem to do. Miss a chance to bash a Republican during a storm, or give him a pass because he practically almost made man love to Obama for the national cameras. Quandary

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ignorance is bliss. Bourbon helps, also.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

OMG what is good little liberal Dem to do. Miss a chance to bash a Republican during a storm, or give him a pass because he practically almost made man love to Obama for the national cameras. Quandary

Liberals should not be worried about Christie. The right wingers have set their sights on him and will take him down. From keynote speaker at the convention to persona non grata in a few months. Gotta love the way he blasted the Weeper of the House yesterday. Maybe he'll follow Charlie Crist lead into a more functional political environment. :)

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Liberals should not be worried about Christie. The right wingers have set their sights on him and will take him down. From keynote speaker at the convention to persona non grata in a few months. Gotta love the way he blasted the Weeper of the House yesterday. Maybe he'll follow Charlie Crist lead into a more functional political environment. :)

Christie vs Cuomo in 2016 :thumbs:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Christie vs Cuomo in 2016 :thumbs:

That would require two things at minimum: Hillary Clinton is not running for the Democratic nomination and the GOP becoming an entirely different party than it is today - unless the GOP does a 180 over the next 3 years, Christie has absolutely no shot at the nomination in 2016.

What's the big deal? It's only $100 million. That's way less than a billion.

Right wingers have set their sights on Christie. They'll work to take him down. They're scared of him. He's more interested in governing than he is in pushing ideology. He seems to believes that government serves a useful purpose. That makes him unfit for office as a Republican.

Timeline

That would require two things at minimum: Hillary Clinton is not running for the Democratic nomination and the GOP becoming an entirely different party than it is today - unless the GOP does a 180 over the next 3 years, Christie has absolutely no shot at the nomination in 2016.

If anyone stands against him, all he has to do is sit on the poor fool and problem solved. :thumbs:

2011-11-15.garfield.png

If anyone stands against him, all he has to do is sit on the poor fool and problem solved. :thumbs:

Be realistic. IF he runs for the nomination, they will show him hugging Obama, sharing a ride on Marine 1, bashing House Republicans for not spending money on liberals in NJ and NYC, etc and he's done. The Republican base will not support him. He has no shot of being nominated. Period. Unless the GOP does a 180. Fat chance of that happening.

Timeline

Be realistic. IF he runs for the nomination, they will show him hugging Obama, sharing a ride on Marine 1, bashing House Republicans for not spending money on liberals in NJ and NYC, etc and he's done. The Republican base will not support him. He has no shot of being nominated. Period. Unless the GOP does a 180. Fat chance of that happening.

Maybe, but it would be fun to watch the debates. ;)

And don't underestimate the power of pragmatism. By the time this administration has run its course, this country will be crying for someone who can reach across the aisle and close the widening political divide that exists in this country. How else do you explain a Republican governor having a 77% approval rating in the state of New Jersey? There are few politicians out there who can do this and Christie is the best known.

Write him off at your peril. Political mud only sticks if you give a damn about appearances. I doubt Chris Christie does.

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Republicans are winning at the state and local levels.

At least until 2020. They swept enough in 2010 and have gerrymandered themselves into control of the US House and many of the state legislatures. They will lose a number of governor's mansions over the next several years, however.