one...two...tree

Guns and Alcohol: Gun Owners Drink More and Take More Risks

200 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Gun owners: Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I must warn you, though, that the findings on gun ownership and risky alcohol behaviors published this week in the British Medical Journal do not paint an altogether flattering picture.

You're twice as likely as people who do not have a gun at home to down five or more drinks in a single sitting. You're almost two-and-a-half times more likely than people who do not have a gun at home to get behind the wheel of a car when you have, by your own admission, drunk "perhaps too much." And you were just a little less likely than that (2.39 times as likely to be exact) to consume 60 or more drinks per month.

And compared with gun owners who kept their firearms at home unloaded and under lock and key, those who said they sometimes carry a loaded weapon for personal protection or who keep a weapon loaded and unlocked around the house were more likely to do things like drink and drive, and to engage in what substance abuse researchers call "binge drinking."

Here's the problem: These two broad categories of behavior are often related. Of the 395,366 firearms-related deaths reported in the United States between 1997 -- when this data were actually collected -- and 2009 -- the latest date for which the tally of firearms-related deaths is available -- about one-third are thought to have involved alcohol. In 2007, 34.5% of suicide and homicide victims in the United States had alcohol in their systems at the time of death, and 60% of those were considered acutely intoxicated.

A very large body of research tells us that people who abuse alcohol or drugs are at far higher risk of committing acts of violence and self-harm. Although laws in some states bar the sale of guns to those with alcohol abuse problems, they're often drafted in terms that aren't very specific, and therefore aren't very effective -- forbidding the sale of firearms, for instance, to "habitual drunkards."

These insights were gleaned from a survey of risk behaviors conducted under the auspices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1996 and 1997 and culled by Garen J. Wintemute of UC Davis.

Gun owners: Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I must warn you, though, that the findings on gun ownership and risky alcohol behaviors published this week in the British Medical Journal do not paint an altogether flattering picture.

You're twice as likely as people who do not have a gun at home to down five or more drinks in a single sitting. You're almost two-and-a-half times more likely than people who do not have a gun at home to get behind the wheel of a car when you have, by your own admission, drunk "perhaps too much." And you were just a little less likely than that (2.39 times as likely to be exact) to consume 60 or more drinks per month.

And compared with gun owners who kept their firearms at home unloaded and under lock and key, those who said they sometimes carry a loaded weapon for personal protection or who keep a weapon loaded and unlocked around the house were more likely to do things like drink and drive, and to engage in what substance abuse researchers call "binge drinking."

Here's the problem: These two broad categories of behavior are often related. Of the 395,366 firearms-related deaths reported in the United States between 1997 -- when this data were actually collected -- and 2009 -- the latest date for which the tally of firearms-related deaths is available -- about one-third are thought to have involved alcohol. In 2007, 34.5% of suicide and homicide victims in the United States had alcohol in their systems at the time of death, and 60% of those were considered acutely intoxicated.

A very large body of research tells us that people who abuse alcohol or drugs are at far higher risk of committing acts of violence and self-harm. Although laws in some states bar the sale of guns to those with alcohol abuse problems, they're often drafted in terms that aren't very specific, and therefore aren't very effective -- forbidding the sale of firearms, for instance, to "habitual drunkards."

These insights were gleaned from a survey of risk behaviors conducted under the auspices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1996 and 1997 and culled by Garen J. Wintemute of UC Davis.

A 12 year old study by some group at UC Davis.... Really.. got anything credible to say

A peek into the life of a drunken anti-gun nut:

The Chappaquiddick incident took place on July 18, 1969 and refers to the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, a female passenger of U.S. Senator Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy when he accidentally drove his car off a bridge and into a tidal channel on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts. Kennedy swam free and left the scene, not reporting within nine hours, but Kopechne died in the vehicle. In the early hours of July 19, Kopechne's body and the car were recovered. Kennedy pleaded guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury and received a two-month suspended jail sentence. The incident became a national scandal, and may have influenced Kennedy's decision not to campaign for President of the United States in 1972 and 1976.

Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers

Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations

I love liberal logic

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Timeline

A 12 year old study by some group at UC Davis.... Really.. got anything credible to say

It was a recent study by the British Medical Journal who gleaned the data. But why do you think 12 years would make the data obsolete? It still correlates to the number of gun homicides and alcohol. We know from drunk drivers that alcohol makes people do stupid sh!t. Why not make it a severe penalty if a gun owner is found intoxicated while in possession of a gun that they can't possess firearms for a period of time and make it permanent for repeat offenders? The NRA supports stiffer penalties for law breakers - this should be a noncontroversial issue.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It was a recent study by the British Medical Journal who gleaned the data. But why do you think 12 years would make the data obsolete? It still correlates to the number of gun homicides and alcohol. We know from drunk drivers that alcohol makes people do stupid sh!t. Why not make it a severe penalty if a gun owner is found intoxicated while in possession of a gun that they can't possess firearms for a period of time and make it permanent for repeat offenders? The NRA supports stiffer penalties for law breakers - this should be a noncontroversial issue.

It's not against the law to posses a car while drunk. It's against the law to drive one while drunk.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Timeline
It's not against the law to posses a car while drunk. It's against the law to drive one while drunk.

Yes, and it seems that the study suggests that gun owners are more likely to break the law. Among other things, that kind of shoots a big fat hole into this "law abiding gun owner" argument, doesn't it? Seems gun owners overall are far less law abiding than those that do not own guns.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, and it seems that the study suggests that gun owners are more likely to break the law. Among other things, that kind of shoots a big fat hole into this "law abiding gun owner" argument, doesn't it? Seems gun owners overall are far less law abiding than those that do not own guns.

You didn't address my post at all. But ok.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

You can get drunk off your ####### and still own guns without penalty. But, the moment you carry one in your possession while intoxicated is the moment you've crossed the line from responsible gun owner to dangerous homicidal maniac.

34.5% of suicide and homicide ?victims? in the United States had alcohol in their systems at the time of death, and 60% of those were considered acutely intoxicated.

Victims of gun violence had alcohol in their blood therefore gun owners must be drunks and we should ban guns.

I love liberal logic

i don't get it.

i don't think 12 years will make it obsolete. I think it was probably a very biased study, done by a very liberal department of a school, with a political agenda. Give as a link to the actual study and data.

In Canada and Britain almost half of all burglaries occur when someone is home. Less than 13% in the US. Why ?

Dude you need a lesson in liberal logic. This one is free.

Ban homes and there will be no burglaries

i don't think 12 years will make it obsolete. I think it was probably a very biased study, done by a very liberal department of a school, with a political agenda. Give as a link to the actual study and data.

In Canada and Britain almost half of all burglaries occur when someone is home. Less than 13% in the US. Why ?

i don't get it.

It is actually against the law in Texas for anyone, including concealed carry license holders, to be in possession of a weapon while intoxicated (or) to be in possession of a weapon in a bar or anywhere else where liquor sales => 49% of gross revenue.

I believe that all of the states have some form of this law including Alaska where the firearms laws are a lot less stringent and where you can pack a concealed weapon with no license

i don't get it.

Dude you need a lesson in liberal logic. This one is free.

Ban homes and there will be no burglaries

I guess conservative logic is better, give everyone a gun, and no one will die from gun violence.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I think this got covered days ago

Conservative logic: There are violent people. If good people have guns then good people can stop violent people

Liberals also practice this logic in spite of the disconnected wires between their actions and their brains

I guess conservative logic is better, give everyone a gun, and no one will die from gun violence.

Edited by himher

i don't get it.