Stephie

Financial Guidelines

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone! My fiance and I have had a relationship for 2 and a half years. We've met up twice, once in Canada and the latest was last March in the UK where he lives. The problem is neither one of us make a lot of money. I'm a waitress going to school full time and still have a full year to go. I want to start the K-1 Fiance process in February, but I'm afraid my income will not be enough. I don't know anyone who could or would agree to being a sponsor. We're getting really fed up with not being together especially around the holidays and they wont even let him visit due to not having enough ties in the UK. Any ideas or helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Everyone! My fiance and I have had a relationship for 2 and a half years. We've met up twice, once in Canada and the latest was last March in the UK where he lives. The problem is neither one of us make a lot of money. I'm a waitress going to school full time and still have a full year to go. I want to start the K-1 Fiance process in February, but I'm afraid my income will not be enough. I don't know anyone who could or would agree to being a sponsor. We're getting really fed up with not being together especially around the holidays and they wont even let him visit due to not having enough ties in the UK. Any ideas or helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

If it's just the two of you, the current* poverty guideline is $18,912. He also has the option to self-sponsor in London. If you don't make that amount (or higher) and/or he isn't able to self-sponsor, it may be best to wait until you're through with school and secure a job that pays a higher salary. Or start the petition process a bit later -- perhaps April or May? -- to when you will be finishing school since it takes 5-6 months to get approved and then another 2 or so months for the interview.

*The poverty guideline may be subject to change depending on the new amounts to be released at the end of January.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Timeline

If it's just the two of you, the current* poverty guideline is $18,912. He also has the option to self-sponsor in London. If you don't make that amount (or higher) and/or he isn't able to self-sponsor, it may be best to wait until you're through with school and secure a job that pays a higher salary. Or start the petition process a bit later -- perhaps April or May? -- to when you will be finishing school since it takes 5-6 months to get approved and then another 2 or so months for the interview.

*The poverty guideline may be subject to change depending on the new amounts to be released at the end of January.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have two children so the guidelines are much higher...I'm pretty sure it's around $25,000. I'm looking for a new job now that will get me over the threshold, however, depending on when I start the new job, I'm not sure if they will apply my new income, or if they only go by the previous tax year.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have two children so the guidelines are much higher...I'm pretty sure it's around $25,000. I'm looking for a new job now that will get me over the threshold, however, depending on when I start the new job, I'm not sure if they will apply my new income, or if they only go by the previous tax year.

The current guideline for four is $28,812. Assuming you have the new job by the time the interview occurs, you can provide paystubs showing ongoing income along with a letter from your employer stating you make $X annually.

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)

Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

hello and happy new yr to everyone can someone tell me where can i find the income guildlines information

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

18,912$ is this for every country? I am trying to sponsor my fiancee but I heard I have to make a monthly income of atleast 2500 and I make that much if I work 65 hours a week.Although I am willing to sacrifice the time, I am worried my case will be denied because of this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

18,912$ is this for every country? I am trying to sponsor my fiancee but I heard I have to make a monthly income of atleast 2500 and I make that much if I work 65 hours a week.Although I am willing to sacrifice the time, I am worried my case will be denied because of this.

Yes, for all countries. For a household size of 2, you need to earn at least $18,912. See the link for the poverty guidelines I posted above for other household size requirements.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Yes, for all countries. For a household size of 2, you need to earn at least $18,912. See the link for the poverty guidelines I posted above for other household size requirements.

Thank you for the reply really appreciate it.

Jay Kay if your petitioner is in the USA then yes, that's what they have to make for a household of 2. It doesn't matter what country the beneficiary is coming from.

01/15/12 - Sent Aya a message on a dating site
03/10/12 - We became "exclusive"
03/15/12 - We told each other "I love you"
08/17/12 - 2 week trip to the Philippines to be with her
08/27/12 - I asked her to marry me (in Cebuano), she cried and said yes
09/02/12 - I came back to the USA

Started on the paperwork

09/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
09/25/12 - Saw on USPS that the package was delivered in Texas
09/28/12 - NOA1
10/08/12 - Received hard copy NOA1
12/19/12 - CFO Counseling Session (to get it out of the way)
04/27/13 - NOA2
05/06/13 - NVC Received and MNL # assigned
05/21/13 - Medical Exam Day
06/04/13 - Interview Day
xx/xx/xx - Visa Arrived
xx/xx/xx - Off to Chicago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Bro, what you have heard is the law of "Getting Married in Cambodia" it does not apply to us (k1 fiancee visa) please see the link below.

http://cambodia.usembassy.gov/getting_married_in_cambodia.html

For k1 fiancee visa, you (USC, petitioner) have to reach 125% poverty guideline which is 18,912 USD or higher for 2 people to sponsor your fiancee from any country (like us Cambodia :) ) to US and get married in 90 days after entry.

I am just a house of one. Why I include my fiancee as a house of 2, if he isn't living with me yet?

You're sponsoring them, thus it's a household of two for the affidavit of support documents.

Coming Soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.