Faraz.azeem

Traveling Plans during US Citizenship Process

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello,

I need some advise and information.. I am a green card holder and applied for US citizen a month ago and its currently in process. They took my Biometrics on 12/21/2012. Currently, I am waiting for interview date.

How long does it usually take to receive an interview appointment letter or some sort of notification for next step ? My local field office is Boston, MA.

Also, I am planning to travel outside of US in Feb only for 3 weeks. I was told that I can travel outside of US during my pending citizenship if it doesn't break my continuous residency. Is that correct? Is it safe to travel during citizenship process ? I want to make sure that immigration officers don't give me hard time upon my return to US because of pending citizenship process. Does anyone have any horrible stories about it ?

My traveling dates might overlap with my interview date (which I am trying to avoid). Is it safe to plan my trip in the end of Feb ? It will be 2 months from my biometrics taken. Do u think by that time, I should be done with my interview ?

Lastly, at what stage we have to return our green card ? Is it during the oath ceremony or at the interview ?

- FS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello,

I need some advise and information.. I am a green card holder and applied for US citizen a month ago and its currently in process. They took my Biometrics on 12/21/2012. Currently, I am waiting for interview date.

How long does it usually take to receive an interview appointment letter or some sort of notification for next step ? My local field office is Boston, MA.

Also, I am planning to travel outside of US in Feb only for 3 weeks. I was told that I can travel outside of US during my pending citizenship if it doesn't break my continuous residency. Is that correct? Is it safe to travel during citizenship process ? I want to make sure that immigration officers don't give me hard time upon my return to US because of pending citizenship process. Does anyone have any horrible stories about it ?

My traveling dates might overlap with my interview date (which I am trying to avoid). Is it safe to plan my trip in the end of Feb ? It will be 2 months from my biometrics taken. Do u think by that time, I should be done with my interview ?

Lastly, at what stage we have to return our green card ? Is it during the oath ceremony or at the interview ?

Our view in applying for US citizenship is strictly optional, unlike the AOS or the ROC stages that had to be done. But after we applied, we were making a commitment, so curtailed any traveling plans for the next five months. Exceptions to this would be an emergency, USCIS is considerate in cases like this. But you may experience severe delays if you just decide to take off for any other reason.

Consider dealing with the USCIS is no different than dealing with our US military, but the consequences of not being where you are suppose to be aren't quite that bad.

Yes, you turn in your green card at the oath ceremony and very quickly learn you cannot even travel until you get your US passport. Have to add some extra time for that. You also have to be very well prepared for your interview.

- FS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

so curtailed any traveling plans for the next five months. Exceptions to this would be an emergency, USCIS is considerate in cases like this. But you may experience severe delays if you just decide to take off for any other reason. Consider dealing with the USCIS is no different than dealing with our US military, but the consequences of not being where you are suppose to be aren't quite that bad.

Not entirely accurate. It doesn't have to be an emergency! You can freely travel while pending N-400, as long as you properly time your travel not to miss [or fail to postpone] any appointments (Interview, Oath). But USCIS doesn't stop you from travelling while your n-400 is pending. Of course, postponing will delay your progress.

Just make sure you keep up with following online case status and have someone keep up with checking your mail. Online case status (if it works, not always 100% reliable) will only tell you a notice has been sent, but doesn't tell you the appointment time, thus the need to regularly check the mail.

Inform the IO in the interview about travel dates since filing your application.

Edited by Okalian

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Timeline

I would also add that traveling outside the US is not safe if applicant is obtaining any kind of cash welfare from the govt, not medicaid or food stamps rather something cash assistance. Every time a LPR enters into the US, he or she asks the officer the permission to enter again and that person is subject to many laws and one of them is public burden. So if someone is receiving cash assistance kinda welfare then their entry will be denied even if that person is holding a green card. Just to remember. Otherwise, nothing to worry.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks all.

Could you also answer the following ? They took my Biometrics on 12/21/2012. Currently, I am waiting for interview date.

1. What sort of letter should I expect to receive ? Inline for interview letter with no interview date OR interview letter with an interview date ?

2. How long does it usually take to receive the next notification after the biometrics ?

3. At what stage we have to return our green card ? Is it during the oath ceremony or at the interview ?

Filed: Timeline

Thanks all.

Could you also answer the following ? They took my Biometrics on 12/21/2012. Currently, I am waiting for interview date.

1. What sort of letter should I expect to receive ? Inline for interview letter with no interview date OR interview letter with an interview date ?

2. How long does it usually take to receive the next notification after the biometrics ?

3. At what stage we have to return our green card ? Is it during the oath ceremony or at the interview ?

Sometime fingerprints couldn't be read by FBI system. In that case, applicants could be asked to take their fingerprints one more time. So it could be possible you could be asked to take your fingerprints again unless you call them on their toll free number to ask if your background checks including criminal background are cleared or not. They do tell over the phone about it.

Your green card will be taken away only after the oath when you become a naturalized citizen. You could get any letter from USCIS which could be a notice to take your fingerprints again or yellow letter or RFE (request for evidence) even if you have sent everything that was required but USCIS is known to lose documents or it could be an interview letter itself. Nobody could say for sure what could you receive. Normally, it should be an interview letter after the fingerprinting but then again it is highly unpredictable because each person's case is different and each person's file moves differently. I don't expect you to receive anything for at least few weeks since you were fingerprinted only a week ago, but then who knows.......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Not entirely accurate. It doesn't have to be an emergency! You can freely travel while pending N-400, as long as you properly time your travel not to miss [or fail to postpone] any appointments (Interview, Oath). But USCIS doesn't stop you from travelling while your n-400 is pending. Of course, postponing will delay your progress.

Thought I said that using slightly different language, typical time between your interview letter and interview is about four weeks, so if someone is at home and can inform you of your oncoming interviewing, can change your plans. But if you don't show, you are moved way back at the end of the line or your application can be "misplaced".

If you have your interview letter in hand, and an emergency does arise, can inform the USCIS and postpone your interview to a latter date. If you are one minute late for you scheduled appointment, can be denied your interview, but okay to wait 3 1/2 hours to be called in.

You walk out of your interview with everything you brought in, and that especially includes your green card. You don't surrender your green card at the oath ceremony, you trade it for your certificate of US citizenship. And you don't jump around and dance when you get it, but read it very carefully for any typos. If you walk out with errors on it, will cost you another 400 bucks and at least six months, plus more trips to have it corrected. You have to get that corrected before you leave.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is no time frame for receiving the information or interview or oath letter. Every case and place is different and so it's just a waiting game at this point. I would think everything including the oath ceremony should be done in a few months, but again, this varies from location to location and person to person.

Best advice is to never plan anything while doing the N-400. You don't want to be away and miss an interview and especially not the Oath ceremony. Doing so can lead to a long delay where some get lost back in the system. So it's always advisable to never plan any trip or anything during the process. Save that for after the Oath when you get your new US passport...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.