8 posts in this topic

this may seem silly but as i start to fill out the aos packet am i to use sveta's family name or mine since tomorrow we shall be married ...... i-485 first line asks for family name I am going to do this myself as all have seen not much luck when hire lawyers also since i am in houston what address do i send the forms

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Use the married name, and definitely check out the examples section...Everything is basically filled out as an example of how you should fill out yours.

K1 Process -

1/30/12 - I-129F sent

2/2/12 - NOA1 Received (CSC)

2/3/12 - Visa App Fee Check Cashed

6/18/12 - NOA2 Email Received at 9PM MST

6/22/12 - NOA2 Letter Received in Mail

7/11/12 - NVC Received

7/13/12 - NVC Sent Case to Moldova Embassy

7/18/12 - Packet 3 dropped off to Embassy

7/19/12 - Packet 3 & 4 Instructions Received from Embassy

7/23/12 - Medical Exam Passed

7/27/12 - Interview

8/4/12 - POE Denver, CO

9/14/12 - Wedding #1 (Denver Courthouse)

9/17/12 - AOS/EAD sent

9/19/12 - AOS/EAD NOA1

10/23/12 - Biometrics

1/16/23 - AOS Interview

6/15/13 - Wedding #2 (Colorado)

6/22/13 - Wedding #3 (Moldova)

Ron, great, just ask and the experienced VJ'ers will answer to the best of their ability. As stated, the example forms will prepare you for the AOS filing.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

September 7, 2009 - met Lena online
October 20, 2010 - First Meeting in Kharkov
Oct 20, 2010 - Engaged
December 3, 2010 - Filed I-129F
December 16, 2010 - NOA-1 notification
December 30, 2010 - Second Visit to Kharkov
February 8, 2011 - Touched
April 18, 2011 - NOA-2 notification
April 18, 2011 - Petition at NVC
April 25, 2011 - Medical Exam
April 26, 2011 - Received at Embassy
April 27, 28, 29, 2011 - Repeat medical (passed medical)
May 5, 2011 - Packet #4 received by mail in Ukraine
June 17, 2011 - Interview scheduled 9:00 AM
June 17, 2011 - Visa approved
June 18, 2011 - Interview Review posted
July 11, 2011 - POE - Detroit
July 17, 2011 - Applied for Marriage License
July 17, 2011 - Applied for SSN
August 17, 2011 - Married in Russian Orthodox Church - Detroit
November 11, 2011 - Submitted AOS/EAD/AP
January 3, 2012 - NOA 1
February 7, 2012 - Still no Biometrics appointment
February 10, 2012 - Service Request - no Biometrics appointment to date
February 29, 2012 - Infopass appointment Detroit (no Biometrics appointment letter - over 40 days)
March 9, 2012 - Biometrics
March 12, 2012 - EAD card production email received
March 23, 2012 - EAD received
March 24, 2012 - AOS interview appointment for April 24, 2012 (Detroit)
April 24, 2012 - AOS approved!
May 2, 2012 - 2 year provisional Green Card received
June 2, 2012 - First job - Russian Kindergarden in Oak Park, Michigan

Feb 5, 2014 - I-751 sent

Sept 19, 2014 - RFE

Nov 3, 2014 - Case moved to Detroit Field Office

Dec 29, 2014 - ROC Interview - Detroit Field Office

Feb 16, 2015 - I-751 approved after 2nd interview

Feb 18, 2015 - I 551 stamp in passport

Mar 5, 2015 - 10 year Permanent Resident Status

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The family name can be her maiden name or her married name, it is your decision what to use.

Page 5 of the I-485 instructions on USCIS's website answers your second question, http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf, you are setting yourself up for disaster if you do not take the time to read the instructions for each form you are going to use.

Edited by Phil & Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

this may seem silly but as i start to fill out the aos packet am i to use sveta's family name or mine since tomorrow we shall be married ...... i-485 first line asks for family name I am going to do this myself as all have seen not much luck when hire lawyers also since i am in houston what address do i send the forms

If she will be legally changing her name to yours after you marry, then you use her married name on all the AOS forms. The name you use is the name her EAD/AP and green card will come in.

Everyone mails their AOS paperwork to the same address. It is listed in the I-485 instructions.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If she will change her name to your name then her MARRIED (your) family name goes in the "family name" space and her maiden name goes in the "other names used" space.

Check the example forms here at VJ The form instructions tell you what address to send it to.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ron, is Sveta taking the name of 'Moore' ?

If so, that's the name to use on the I-485, for her.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.