Bad_Daddy

Los Angeles police offer gift cards to take guns off streets

68 posts in this topic

I don't have a problem with this gun buyback seeing how it's using donated money even though the LA mayor is mentioning tapping city funds to extend the program. But tbh this program is a joke. It's a failure on so many levels that I don't see how it's even debatable.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

No, but Ralphs is spendy except for cat treats and mid-range wine.

I'm going to Ralph's tonight to make a donation for the gun buyback program. I'll pick you up some bonkers for the cat and a bottle of Asti Spumanti.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm waiting for Governor Cuomo to come and confiscate mine. Seems the police don't want to do it. Hmmmm wonder why ?

I'm neither pro gun or anti gun. I try to make an argument with Mr. Big Dog that gun control is not possible, and that it's not a good idea. Then someone like you posts, and I start to think Mr. Big Dog may have a point.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Mr bigdog's points are only talk. Here is the real picture.

A 2011 Gallup poll estimates that 47 percent of US households own a gun.

A 2007 Small Arms Survey estimates there are 88.7 guns per 100 Americans

I haven't seen or read about any interest from 700,000 (total, counting everyone) law enforcement personnel pitting themselves against 50 MM law-abiding American households.

The numbers don't balance. They already have a GREAT DEAL of difficulty managing the "frequent flyers" who are continually in and out of their overcrowded jails that somehow have more rights than law abiding citizens.

Better to leave the planning and execution of something like that to the politicians or the bloated law enforcement administration (who don't have to actually take action either).

Summary: This is something that won't get done. Not for the average American. It was set up that way on purpose and the 4 million or so who sign up and fund the guarding of it are only a small representative sample of the overall picture.

I'm neither pro gun or anti gun. I try to make an argument with Mr. Big Dog that gun control is not possible, and that it's not a good idea. Then someone like you posts, and I start to think Mr. Big Dog may have a point.

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Note!

Anybody who lives in L.A. county and considers giving away his gun worth $800 or more for a $100 coupon, please contact me first. I'll give you $150 cash! We can do this totally officially via a FFL license holder and I will gladly pay transfer fees and sales tax and wait the mandatory 10 days before picking it up.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline
Mr bigdog's points are only talk. Here is the real picture.

A 2011 Gallup poll estimates that 47 percent of US households own a gun.

Oh, my points are only talk but you've got it all figured out? :rofl:

The real picture you're presenting is the picture I've been talking about the whole time. That is that the majority of American households does not own a gun. Households with a gun are in the minority.

The other real picture out there is that 20% of the gun owners - that would be roughly 10% of the households - own 65% of the guns out there. That means that you have people out there with real issues that are stockpiling for whatever ill reason while the vast majority of gun owners has a rifle or one handgun or somesuch around the house for hunting or self protection or whathaveyou. It's a small fringe - that 10% that wants to get rid of or at least weaken the practically already non-existent gun control in this country - that actually makes all this stupid noise about gun rights while the vast majority of the nation is actually quite sane. Now all that needs to happen is for the sane majority to push lawmakers to bring gun sanity to the nation.