Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Going back in Canada

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

K-1 is a single entry visa

good luck

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure you can--Canada will let you back in no problems at all. BUT as the others have stated the USA will NOT, as the k1 is single use. Happened to 1 gal on here a few yrs back! She was then lucky to start the CR-1 process from Canada! One always has choices,lol All the best in 2013

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, after spending some time with Keri in my new home, we need to go back in Canada to get the rest of my belongings. Is it possible for me to travel in Canada and get back into the US before getting married and while having my I-94?

No you can't. I mean you can, but then you'll have to reapply.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

But the GOV site says this :If taking short trips (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands during the course of your visit to the U.S., hold onto your I-94 or I-94 (W); it should only be turned in when you leave the U.S. to return home.

That is for someone who has entered the US as a visitor. That doesn't apply for a K-1 visa. You are not a 'visitor' who expects to be leaving the US at the end of your visit. While the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa, it has immigrant intent. The purpose of the K-1 was to allow you a one time entry into the US in order to get married and then to request permission to remain in the US as a permanent resident. If you leave the US after having entered with a K-1 - unless it is for an absolute emergency when you can then throw yourself upon the mercy of the Montreal Consulate who 'may' re-validate (or may not if they do not deem the emergency sufficient) the K-1 Visa back to the same amount of time remaining on the I-94 - you will be denied re-entry and will have to start the immigration process all over again from the beginning.

Once you enter as a K-1, the only way you can safely leave and return to the US is after you have received one of two things - your green card or special travel permission called Advance Parole which you apply for at the same time you apply for your green card. Your boyfriend can go and get your belongings, but you can't. Not yet.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


This is from the Department of State (who are responsible for the issuance of visas) :

After You Receive a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

If you are issued a K-1 visa, the Consular Officer will give you your passport containing the K-1 visa and a sealed packet containing the civil documents you provided, plus other documents prepared by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. It is important that you do not open the sealed packet. Only the DHS immigration official should open this packet when you enter the United States. As the K-1 visa holder, you must enter the U.S. either before or at the same time as any qualifying children holding K-2 visas.

With your visa, you can apply for a single admission at a U.S. port of entry within the validity of the visa, which will be a maximum of 6 months from the date of issuance. You must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of your entry into the United States.

Edited by hikergirl

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can leave and enter Canada but you can't re-enter the US. You will need to get married and apply for AOS/AP and receive one of those two before leaving the US. It will take around at least 3 months to get your AP from the time you file, but could take longer. If you leave without a green card or AP you will have to start the process all over again! Worse, if you've been in the US for over 90 days and leave without a green card or AP you could incur a bar from entering the US and get in trouble with customs officers. Don't do it.

Your fiance or spouse may travel back and forth, however.

Edited by pocheros

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be mean, but why on earth didn't you look into this before moving? The biggest downfall of the K-1 visa is you are "stuck" in the US and unable to work until you receive your AP and/or EAD. If you leave, you can't get back in unless you want to start over again. I hope your stuff isn't that important, because you won't be able to get it until you get married, apply for AOS and then wait about 3 months. Unless someone can go get it for you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.