loveneverfails26

WEDDING BLESSING NO LEGAL BINDING

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are having a NON LEGAL WEDDING CEREMONY will be conduct bya pastor in a beach resort here in Cebu Philippines this February 24, 2013. Weused a visa assistance agency to assist us in our visa applications ( was toolate to find out about visa journey) … My concern is will it affect our k1 visaapplication? Although the wedding blessing is only a blessing no legal binding?NO SIGNATURES? NO CERTIFICATES… a plain blessing ceremony for us?

The wedding is already set up for February 24, 2013 and wealready made payments. Do you think it will affect the process?

Any comments will be appreciated…

Thank you..

Merry Christmas

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes it could. First of all, stop calling it a wedding. If the embassy speaks to her neighbours, or even she mentions in passing she has a wedding, they will deny her. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. See if you can move the deposit to, say, a year later- get the visa, get legally married in the USA, file for AOS, then come back for the blessing.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

For a future K-1 applicant to partake in a ceremony with any resemblance to a wedding, that could come back to bite you on the butt. What your ceremony would represent to you and your family and how it might be precieved by a CO are very different animals.

If you have similiar trappings of an actual wedding, would you want to jump through fire trying to prove or convince a CO that you're not married? You certainly would not want to delay being united in the US with your fiancee or risk being denied.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

:( breaks my heart... dress, blessing venue, invitations is all ready :(....

but can we used it like pre wedding party? no more wedding dress or entourage?

the visa agency we used told us that its ok to have these but without legal binding :(..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have seen visas denied for 'ceremonies'. If you are prepared for a denial then go ahead. These sorts of things can affect your visa

You yourself called it a wedding

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Stop using the word wedding....you'll derail everything. Stop, it's just a dinner party, nothing more.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

of course, that is up to you. Talk to the vendors, they may well give you a refund or be able to move the deposits to later so you can have a blessing, or a simple "going away party" rather than a non-legal ceremony.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

of course, that is up to you. Talk to the vendors, they may well give you a refund or be able to move the deposits to later so you can have a blessing, or a simple "going away party" rather than a non-legal ceremony.

We talked to our visa assistance agency, they told us there is no reason to worry because it is only a ceremony.. NO LEGAL PAPERS NO SIGNATURES just a plain ceremony, they said it wont affect our K1 application...

Timeline

maybe just call it an Engagement party.. with the invitations, foods and family... there were Filipino couple who even wore wedding dresses but it is only for their engagement party.. for me, as long as there is NO MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE and the CENOMAR (CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE) of your fiancee says she was NOT married then fine..that ceremony could be ur engagement party and could be use to prove that u throw a party for engagement.. isn't that u can use picures of ur engagement party or invitations.. as long as u dont sign in anything saying that u got married then fine.. some countries and some people might have different views and i am just stating my won opinion though. engagement party or a mass gathering.. to bless the two of u in the path uve chosen.again as long as the cenomar says ur fiancee is not married and that u as the fiance is legally able to marry her then fine.. the picture wearing wedding gowns does not means that u got married.. there are papers that can prove whether u got married or not. that is why we have NSO in Philippines. :)

Timeline

and yes. Don't call it a wedding.... it is not a wedding like what u said. and maybe announce it to everyone that it is an engagement or whatever u may want to call it as long as not a "Wedding" maybe post a banner like saying "Engagement party of ___ & ___" so that if someone interviews her neighbors, they wont say that she got married just because they saw her wearing a white gown.. LOL. sometimes neighbors relays wrong info.so let everyone know that it is not a wedding but just a party or what u may want to call it. :)

Timeline

i hope i was able to enlighten you. LOL. I dont want ur party to be spoiled. remember some countries do have different cultures. some people who left a comment might have gathered info from different sites. but in my opinion, as long as u have proofs to show to the embassy then fine.. CENOMAR is required by the USEM..to show that ur fiancee was NEVER married... have ur fiancee get it few weeks before the interview so that it is latest.. good.gif

Timeline

The problem is that what is considered 'Legal' is a bit fuzzy.

If the Philippines view it as a legal wedding then the embassy will recognize that as legal and you're K-3.

I have heard of situations where the marriage was considered legal WITHOUT any papers or signatures. In those cases, it was officiated by a priest, vows and rings exchanged.I have heard of both situations where it was and was not considered legal. I just wouldn't risk it.

I understand wanting to have a wedding with her family, I wish that as well. Many people think of being married in both the Philippines and US. But sometimes it backfires.

I would ask a Philippine lawyer if it would be a 'non-legal wedding' before doing more. Remember, if it's seen as legal in the Philippines then it's a wedding.

-- Robb

Edited by Robb&Ann

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.