ausqueen

Changing attorney in the process

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My US Citizen fiancee has filed a K-1 visa application over 3 months ago, via an attorney. However, 2 months later, we got an "RFE" notification!!! Again, it is being "handled" by our attorney, but we are both unhappy how long it is taking for our information to get back to USCIS.

My question is: how easy/hard it would be for us to dismiss/change our attorney and would it slow things down even more?

Your advice is much appreciated!

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I think this process is fairly easy as long as you read over the instructions. I got my K-1 application approved here in the states before even finding VJ just by doing it all on my own and I know others who have done the same. This site just added to the info I needed to be successful. Just remember that no one is more invested in your case then you!

My US Citizen fiancee has filed a K-1 visa application over 3 months ago, via an attorney. However, 2 months later, we got an "RFE" notification!!! Again, it is being "handled" by our attorney, but we are both unhappy how long it is taking for our information to get back to USCIS.

My question is: how easy/hard it would be for us to dismiss/change our attorney and would it slow things down even more?

Can I ask you who your attorney is? I do not mean to change the subject for you, but when I hear a horro story about an attorney I want to know if it is mine also. Thanks, WJR.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Seeing that you are working with CSC, 3-5 months is about the norm. The RFE could be for more evidence, IMBRA related, more proof of having met, anything. Doesn't necessarily mean the Lawyer screwed up. A lawyer cannot make the process move faster! They submit your petition and sit back and wait like everyone else, except they get paid while they wait.

Unless the Attorney is going to give you all the money back, you might as well stay with him. Don't spend any more money that you have to. I did not use an Attorney. Didn't need one with VisaJourney.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Timeline

ausqueen,

Point of clarification: Your fiancee has filed a petition asking the the US government recognize that the two of you have a fiance/fiancee relationship. When the petition is approved, meaning that the US government accepts that the relationship exists, you will file a K1 visa application.

A petition is not a visa application. It is a prerequisite for a visa application.

Yodrak

My US Citizen fiancee has filed a K-1 visa application over 3 months ago, .....
Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I went through this. Attorney returned all our money sent me the file and forwarded the RFE (took about 29 days for us to get the RFE but we got it). I simply wrote at letter containing our case number my fiance's full name my name and her country of origin and stated that the attorney was no longer representing us and sent it to USCIS.

Paul misses Anna.

You should fill out your time line. That would help us to evaluate your case. But, on the surface it doesn't seem to be far out of the norm for processing. Changing an attorney at this time is probably not recommended because that will just cause your case file to be moved again. If you have submitted the additional information requested in the RFE then sit back and wait. This is a very slow process. Ask anyone on VJ.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My fiance and I are going through the same thing. We hired an attorney and received an RFE 2 months after filing. He tried to blame it on IMBRA etc. We just received the RFE today by snail mail. I have no idea why they did not send it to the attorneys office but we are SO HAPPY that USCIS sent it to us. We are now wishing we would have never hired this attorney either. He even posts on his web page that they DON'T receive RFE's. Unbelievable isn't it?

Mel

My fiance and I are going through the same thing. We hired an attorney and received an RFE 2 months after filing. He tried to blame it on IMBRA etc. We just received the RFE today by snail mail. I have no idea why they did not send it to the attorneys office but we are SO HAPPY that USCIS sent it to us. We are now wishing we would have never hired this attorney either. He even posts on his web page that they DON'T receive RFE's. Unbelievable isn't it?

Mel

Hey Mel,

Can I ask who your attorney is?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

To the OP: Have you examined a DCF option?? (Unless you have a lawyer because your case is complicated....) It's a good option for Australians :)

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
To the OP: Have you examined a DCF option?? (Unless you have a lawyer because your case is complicated....) It's a good option for Australians :)

Hi CarolineM,

happy anniversary today! (of joining vj) :) And upcoming wedding anniv. Lucky you!

Hey, what do you mean if I checked re DCF? Isn't that only for you "already married" ones? :) Did you file K-1 and then changed it by filing in Sydney after you got married, or I-130 was the only thing you filed???

And... you got your visa and interview the same day you filed?!?!?! I thought there was just about the same wait for either. How the heck did you manage to do that? Know of other Aussies who went the same way?

I should go and read all 55 pages in Oz thread, I guess! :)

xxoo from Sydney

vik

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

You DO have to be married, yes, but if you can get married, the processing is SUPER fast. They've made a few changes since I did it -we DID interview and get visa on the same day, but there are some changes now.

Even with the changes, I'd say it would only take a few months from start to finish. The USC has to be there at least once to file the petition for ya'll. Lunamel just did DCF there so you can read her experience, but if you have a little extra money to get the USC to Australia and don't mind getting married to do this...it's a good option. Cuts heaps of time off of your journey.

We married in Dec, and I went back in MArch, but COULD have done it all at the same time. We did it all in ONE day...again changes have been made, but Australia is one of the few countries where you can DCF regardless of residency of the USC. Heaps of Aussies on this site have done it.

Edited by CarolineM

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.