Dostoievski

All About Divorce: Looking for a labor/IT/Any Job at Long Beach CA Area

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello All,

life is not fair. I am going throw a difficult time after my divorce. I moved from Morocco to join my ex wife here in Arizona. I am moving from Arizona to south California, around Long Beach Area, closer to the public transport (I do not drive).

I just need to start from "Scratch" and to find my self-confidence again, I am at the bottom now.... I working to update my technical IT skills. I was more functional last years to match the french needs about processes modeling, business analyst and BPM. I did also graduate engineer from Paris in electronic, electrotechnics longtime ago in 1992.

Please, this a spontaneous scream for help in this Christmas time, I will be happy to send my resume and I am ready to start any small job in the area of Los Angeles/Long Beach. I just want to secure any small job before to move there, my finances are not very good.

Thanks and happy Holiday.

S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm sorry that you're going through such difficult times with your life at the moment. If you're seeking employment quickly and your papers are fine, try looking in to newspapers in the local area, online. Try www.craigslist.com , www.snagjob.com , careerbuilder.com. enter the title of the job and begin filing up applications for employment. Make sure you have a good resume prepared, good professional references three is fine, and be available for interviews. Good luck and X-Mas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thank you very much for the information. I am doing this since 3 years here in Arizona. I have an updated resume with more than 3 references, I am using CareerBuilder.com, indeed.com, monster.com...etc to apply online, but no luck for the moment here in Arizona. I did not have any serious interview one to one, I just moved to Phoenix some days ago from Flagstaff, Arizona (small town with less diversity...I working hard to have some IT networking, desktop support, Java, Database entry level certifications. This will open me more doors...I was just looking for small job to be able to pay a room/share in waiting to pass my certifications. Happy Christmas to you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Have you considered having your resume looked at by professionals? You get go to the unemployment office or places that offers free resume workshop to view your resume and possibly help you out making a good one. I know the job market is sucks so don't give up so easily. You'll find something eventually.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you don't have your heart set on Calif you might want to check out some other major cities that pay well and cost less to live in. Dallas/Fort Worth, Atlanta, Chicago all are big cities and may cost less to live in. Best of luck to you!

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Aerospace has been shedding IT jobs for years so there are a lot of people looking for work in Southern California. It isn't a pretty job market. You might want to look elsewhere.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

My husband has worked in IT for 35 years in California, Your best likelihood of finding work will be through recruiters rather than websites.

Here are some good ones in Southern California.

http://www.ssouth.com/

http://www.cybercoders.com/?ad=googleitrecruiters

http://www.enamix.com/

http://www.newportsolutionsgroup.com/

http://technologies.randstadusa.com/

http://www.cydio.com/thecompany_overview.aspx

http://www.searchlightrecruiters.com/

Hope that helps.

Also check out www.theladders.com and www.dice.com

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Use dice.com, it's more tech-oriented.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Make absolutely sure that your resume has correct language and grammar. If it looks like one of your posts you would not be considered at all. Once your have a good resume, make sure you have a profile on linkedin.com (and that you have set your preferences to show you are interested in new jobs etc), join a few linkedin groups related to what you hope to find work doing and then submit your resume to any recruitment companies that provide services in your area.

I applied for a few jobs but never heard anything back. All my interviews were set up by recruiters who contacted me. In fact the job I ended up getting was one I had applied for but had not been considered for. A recruiter contacted me about the same job (not knowing I had applied for it myself earlier). I got an interview (three interviews in fact) and eventually got the job (a Sr. Programmer Analyst position).

It may have been easier for me since I have almost a decade of relevant IT experience, some hard to find skills and accent-less native level English, but I have to agree with an earlier poster that recruiters seem to be the way to go for IT jobs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.