MatthewK

stuck at initial review! please anyone help?

35 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Our petition was received on the 25th of July 2012 and has been stuck on initial review ever since... We have a lawyer representing us and she has only just noticed this... I have been keeping an eye on the USCIS website and have noticed that it has always been on initial review. But due to the fact I'm not a lawyer and am not completely understanding of the whole process I just assumed the initial review was considered to be part of the NVC stage as well. This is why I hired a lawyer because I do not know everything. So I guess I'm just wondering has anyone had any experience with excessive wait times whilst waiting for NOA1 or has any idea why this could be taking so long? Is it lost, did we get an RFE?! No one (us or our lawyer) has heard anything back from them. So confused and frustrated at this point, I really do not understand.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Matt

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi all!

Our petition was received on the 25th of July 2012 and has been stuck on initial review ever since... We have a lawyer representing us and she has only just noticed this... I have been keeping an eye on the USCIS website and have noticed that it has always been on initial review. But due to the fact I'm not a lawyer and am not completely understanding of the whole process I just assumed the initial review was considered to be part of the NVC stage as well. This is why I hired a lawyer because I do not know everything. So I guess I'm just wondering has anyone had any experience with excessive wait times whilst waiting for NOA1 or has any idea why this could be taking so long? Is it lost, did we get an RFE?! No one (us or our lawyer) has heard anything back from them. So confused and frustrated at this point, I really do not understand.

Matt

What did you apply for? Welcome to VJ. As most of us found out most attorneys are not on top of stuff and we did all the work. If you applied for K1 you should get a notice soon. It usually is about 7 months for a K1, see similar time lines to give you an idea.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Sorry I should have clarified, it was definitely a K1 we filed for. It shouldn't stay on 'initial review' for 7 months should it? Shouldn't we have got NOA1 after a couple of months and then NOA2 when the NVC was finished with it? I'm soooooo confused at this point. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with the frustration of seemingly flushing my money down the drain with lawyers. Actually I'm not glad, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It's sooooo disheartening. Thank you for your reply and welcoming!

matt

If it says Initial Review you have had NOA1 from USCIS. You are waiting for the NOA2. Not sure if you can call and ask for a service request if you are using a lawyer. It won't go to the NVC until after the NOA2.

You could use this time to gather evidence for the NVC process. Will save time when your lawyer asks for it. But unless he/she is pro-active it could actually take longer to go through NVC than it would if you did it yourself.

event.png

Oh ok this is making a bit more sense to me now, thank you! Well I can tell you that my lawyer called the NVC the other day and apparently they have not received anything yet. Is it unusual that we got NOA1 on July 25th 2012 and close to 5 months later the NVC still haven't received anything?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Oh ok this is making a bit more sense to me now, thank you! Well I can tell you that my lawyer called the NVC the other day and apparently they have not received anything yet. Is it unusual that we got NOA1 on July 25th 2012 and close to 5 months later the NVC still haven't received anything?

Completely normal and your lawyer should know this. Nothing is sent to NVC until the I-129F is approved, which if you are at Vermont Service Center, seems to be taking close to 7 months at this point.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Think you need to do some more reading on the forums....

Creating a timeline on here which will give you an estimated approval date.

Personally I'd ditch the lawyer - if they cannot tell that you are not at the NVC by where you are in the process they have no idea what they are doing.

What are the first 3 letters of your receipt number from NOA1? That will tell you the service centre concerned. Then we can figure out the waiting list you are stuck in.

Your stuff is still at the USCIS - at this point the NVC will not even know your name. So yes completely normal.

Edited by tanithw

event.png

You are in California Service Center they seem to be processing July now. Since its almost Christmas I would say hold tight you will get your NOA2 soon(ish) but I would not expect this year. Good luck.

GC received on the 28th of February, 2014 - no interview, no additional RFE's

Divorced as of September, 2014

NOA1 for ROC 14 October, 2014

Life goes on, my ex-husband is a moron.

That's a relief to know, thanks a lot :) So once we receive NOA2 that means that the NVC have received the petition and will do the beneficiary's background checks etc. How long do you think it will take from NOA2 to getting an actual interview, our consulate will be Sydney, Australia I believe. I'll have a look at some timeline info in the forums now though as well. Just been so stressed out about this but it is good news to know this is actually pretty standard. Thanks again :)

Matt

once you get your NOA2 it will be sent to NVC for further processing, from what I have read on here it doesn't take terribly long or shouldn't anyways (thinking 2-4 weeks tops). After that, it will get sent to the embassy. For that definitely check the country portals for embassy info since every place is different in terms of speed. I would say count 2 months more after NOA2 (thats just my assumption though so better read up :) )

Waiting on NOA2 too so good luck !!!

ps: if I gave out any wrong information please do correct me guys. This is only what I have been able to gather reading this website every day since we sent our stuff in ahhhh :)

GC received on the 28th of February, 2014 - no interview, no additional RFE's

Divorced as of September, 2014

NOA1 for ROC 14 October, 2014

Life goes on, my ex-husband is a moron.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all!

Matt

You are still within the normal timelines....when it gets to be 10 months since your submittal should you be worried.

Keep waiting.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It sounds like you might also be worried that they sent something and you didn't receive it. Are you signed up for text and email alerts?

Don't put too much faith in the updates. Mine still shows my K1 in Initial Processing.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.