Krzysiu

American passport after marriage to k1 holder?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

My fiancee's polish passport expires in 2008. I will be fileing the I-129f next week and hopefully since I'm going throught Vermont, we will have our visa in 4 to 8 months. When we get married here can she apply for a USA passport? Also, we are planning on having a civil or small church ceramony here and having the big wedding over in Poland a year after we get married here. What permission do we need to get to travel to Poland for the wedding? Once again thanks for all your help.

11/17/2006 Mailed I-129f to Vermont Service Center

11/20/2006 US Postal Service Delivery Confirmation

11/21/2006 NOA1 Notice Date

11/25/2006 Received NOA1 in Mail

12/12/2006 NOA2 Email Received

12/15/2006 NVC Sent Petition to Embassy

12/16/2006 Received NOA2 in Mail

12/18/2006 Embassy Receives Petition from NVC

12/20/2006 Received NVC Letter

1/9/2007 Packet 3 Received

1/12/2007 Packet 3 Sent

1/31/2007 Packet 4 Received

2/14/2007 Interview Date

AOS

5/21/2007 Filed for AOS & EAD

5/25/2007 NOA1

6/15/2007 RFE for AOS

6/16/2007 Biometrics for AOS & EAD

6/18/2007 RFE Evidence Sent Out

7/13/2007 Case Transfered to CSC

7/19/2007 Case Received at CSC

8/6/2007 EAD Card Production Ordered

8/9/2007 EAD Card Received

8/31/2007 AOS Approved

9/4/2007 Green Card Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiancee's polish passport expires in 2008. I will be fileing the I-129f next week and hopefully since I'm going throught Vermont, we will have our visa in 4 to 8 months. When we get married here can she apply for a USA passport? Also, we are planning on having a civil or small church ceramony here and having the big wedding over in Poland a year after we get married here. What permission do we need to get to travel to Poland for the wedding? Once again thanks for all your help.

No, she will not get a US passport until she naturalizes.... Her passport will expire before that happens.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck with the visa process. Actually, when your fiancee gets the K-1 visa she receives permission to come to the States as a non-immigrant and marry you, her US citizen fiance. She then applies to adjust her status from a non-immigrant to an immigrant and obtain permanent resident status (green card). Through all of this she remains a Polish citizen. Once her AOS is approved - which can take a few months to a year or two - she acquires status as a Permanent Resident. Three years after she receives permanent residence status and if she is still married to you, she is allowed to apply for US citizenship. Once she receives US citizenship - which may take a year or so - she is allowed to apply for a US passport. Up until that time she needs to keep her Polish passport valid if she wishes to travel outside of the US.

When you apply for the AOS after your legal marriage, you should also apply for Advance Parole (I-131). This is permission for your fiancee to be out of the US and to return to the US while immmigration is processing her AOS application. If she leaves without the AP she will be considered to have abandoned her AOS application and she will not be allowed to return to the US. It is a good idea NOT to set that date in Poland until you have submitted the AOS application as the AP can take up to 3 months or more to be approved. Hope this helps.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

US Passports are only given to US Citizens.

This is something that she may opt to do..i.e. become a citizen one day.

:thumbs:

Yup, she will undergo status changes upon after you submitting I-129F then ------> 3 months K1 Non-immigrant visa ----> 2 yrs Permanent Resident -----> Conditional Resident -----> Naturalization approval = US Citizen = US passport.

Gudluck on your submittion of I-129F.

Edited by rebelheart

07-13-06 - K1/K2 AOS/EAD sent

11-04-06 - 2 NOA's transfer to CSC

11-17-06 - "K1 APPROVED AOS" no interview

11-27-06 - "K1 - GREENCARD" rcvd.

01-23-07 - K2 GREENCARD rcvd.

08-20-08 - I-751 sent to Texas Service Center, transfer to VSC

08-26-08 - I-751 NOA1 & 1yr. Extension letter

09-18-08 - I-751 NOA2 - Biometrics Appointment Notice

03-11-09 - I-751 transfer from VSC to CSC!

05-13-09 - I-751 APPROVED

06-24-09 - card production ordered

08-20-09 - N400 - Citizenship Application

08-24-09 - NOA notice date

08-28-09 - NOA in mailbox

09-10-09 - email asking for more evidence

09-14-09 - Biometrics NOA date

09-18-09 - Biometrics Letter arrived in mailbox

10-09-09 - Biometrics Schedule

10-14-09 - Notice date of the yellow letter

10-30-09 - touched online for "testing & interview"

11-03-09 - IL received in mailbox

12-07-09 - "PASSED" Interview & it's my Hubby Bday too!

04-17-10 - Oath letter received in mailbox

05-14-10 - Judicial Oath atlast! in Atl

110 days - Application to Interview

158 days - Interview to Judicial Oath

268 days - Total processing days for my N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.