HeartOfAllThings

Applying in person

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I need some help with applying for a social security number. I tried calling both the local office and the generic 1-800 # for ssa but never got the information I wanted, or managed to speak to someone to have my questions answered, so here it goes:

I just need to know two things: what I need to send out with the application(this one's easy but still not 100% clear to me), and, if I apply in person, do I still need to get official copies of those documents, or the originals will do the job? What's making this seem like a big hassle to me is this:

"All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. We also cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document." Quote from ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

So the deal is: Can I go apply in person, bringing only passport, green card and work authorization card, and not have any trouble applying? From what I understand, these would be the only documents I need, but I may be wrong, in which case please enlighten me.

Thank you so much!

So the deal is: Can I go apply in person, bringing only passport, green card and work authorization card, and not have any trouble applying? From what I understand, these would be the only documents I need, but I may be wrong, in which case please enlighten me.

Yes. You just need passport and GC. You must apply in person.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Like Harpa Timsah said,you will need to bring the Greencard and your passport. Also bring your marriage certificate (in case you are using married name in GC and maiden name in passport). You have to apply in person and when you get there they will make you fill out a form. They will take the photocopies they need of your documents.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The 800 number is useless, they won't talk to you unless you already have an SSN.

My Wife drove down to the SSN Administrative office (She is from Canada), filled out the form and let them make copies of her passport and GC, Birth Cert and Marriage License, then she got her SSN card the following week in the mail.

Painless, but has to be done in person.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.