12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I just was going through my passport and realised that I never received a stamp when I was exiting the US last summer, we used the automated system that does the biometrics departure(In Atlanta airport). But I know have just noticed that the green "departure" card is still in my passport!!!! I was never asked for it! It was stapled right in the middle of a page, and I had to pry it over to read the back I only just noticed that it says on the back that it needed to be turned in when departing the US. Jesus this is all I need for something stupid like this to stop me from getting my visa or getting into the US. What should I do, lord this is not something I need to happen a few days before my interview! Please help......II'm freaking out!!

Timeline
I just was going through my passport and realised that I never received a stamp when I was exiting the US last summer, we used the automated system that does the biometrics departure(In Atlanta airport). But I know have just noticed that the green "departure" card is still in my passport!!!! I was never asked for it! It was stapled right in the middle of a page, and I had to pry it over to read the back I only just noticed that it says on the back that it needed to be turned in when departing the US. Jesus this is all I need for something stupid like this to stop me from getting my visa or getting into the US. What should I do, lord this is not something I need to happen a few days before my interview! Please help......II'm freaking out!!

Sorry it was San Francisco not Atlanta! and thinking about it, that was all we had to do, we didn't even go through immigration that I can recall, they just looked at the biometric slip that I got and we went about our business. I don't have that slip anymore, because when we moved house it got misplaced......

Sorry it was San Francisco not Atlanta! and thinking about it, that was all we had to do, we didn't even go through immigration that I can recall, they just looked at the biometric slip that I got and we went about our business. I don't have that slip anymore, because when we moved house it got misplaced......

You should probably send that I-94 form back to a place that can update your departure data. You went through USVisit which is an additional process that is in addition to the I-94. You should have turned the I-94 back to the airlines when you departed. Knowing the US government, it probably still thinks you're in the US because you didn't turn in the I-94 eventhough you went through USVisit.

Read this page on how a UK citizen is supposed to handle an I-94 if he still has it.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/cbp/i94.html

Try calling the US Embassy, Dublin or find a DHS office in Ireland and ask them.

did you keep your boarding passes and do you have an arrival stamp or some kind of proof that you are not in the US. Other evidence can be obtained.

P

First Met Hubby, summer 2001

Married in Argentina May 4th 2004

I-130

NOA1 from TSC 5/24/04

NOA1 from CSC 09/10/04

RFE!!! 04/20/05

RFE letter officially late/missing 05/05/05

RFE found-- was sent to ex lawyer address

RFE Retrieved and returned today 05/16/05

RFE Receipt Notice 06/17/05

Case sent to Miami 06/29/05

717 DAYS 5/08/06 I-130 APPROVED!!!!

Interview scheduled in Miami office 05/08/06 - OMG We have to wait until May!!!! (2 YEARS)

Case forwarded to embassy 10/12/06!!, now we get to file the waiver over again.

Interview in BsAs 02/27/07

Refiled another I-601 and I-212 March 1007

I-129F

NOA1 from MSC 08/24/04

Updated 03/16/05

APPROVED 206 days!!!! 03/14/05

Assigned New BNS Case number 03/11/05

Received K3 Forms & Instructions 04/11/05

Interview 06/02/05

Filed I-601 06/02/05---- 235 DAYS

Filed I-212 11/18/05 (embassy forgot to tell us we needed this)

I-601 and I-212 Denied 2/07/06

Filed Motion to Reconsider 03/01/06

Withdrew Appeal 02/25/07

Timeline

I don't have my original boarding passes, but I have my Korean entry stamp after leaving the US. I also got married in Korea less than 90 days after my visit, have bank statements and employment contracts. I'm gonna call the embassy this morning. I'm so stressed right now, I am supposed to be going to the US at the end of March.......I hope all is rectified by then :blink:

I would not be worried, as you say you exited using USVisit where all your departure information was captured. If there was no overstay the system will reflect that and vice versa.

When that visitor departs and airport or seaport, we will verify his or her identity and capture their departure information. This tells the Department of Homeland Security if that person entered legally but yet stayed here illegally.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

I would not be worried, as you say you exited using USVisit where all your departure information was captured. If there was no overstay the system will reflect that and vice versa.
When that visitor departs and airport or seaport, we will verify his or her identity and capture their departure information. This tells the Department of Homeland Security if that person entered legally but yet stayed here illegally.

You'd think this would be the case that a checkout with USVisit will update the departure data. However, knowing the DHS, I wouldn't count on it. Most likely USVisit and I-94 databases exist differently and are not linked. Personally, I would make sure I send the I-94 and evidence of departure to the nearest CBP office.

Check out this link for USVisit and I-94 information.

http://www.twmlaw.com/resources/usvisit.html

The biometric collection of the US-VISIT program is part of an effort by the Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security to create mutually accessible databases. Given the massive amount of data to be coordinated, employers and employees should plan on the occasional system failure, e.g., departure and arrival information not coordinated; computer error indicating no biometric match.

Employers should advise employees to keep their own record of their entry and departure from the United States and to return the Form I-94 on departure. This evidence might prevent an employee from being denied admission to the United States or otherwise jeopardizing his or her visa status. Employees should be advised that failure to participate in the US-VISIT program could affect their eligibility for future visas, admission to the United States, or maintenance of status for immigration purposes.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You'd think this would be the case that a checkout with USVisit will update the departure data. However, knowing the DHS, I wouldn't count on it. Most likely USVisit and I-94 databases exist differently and are not linked. Personally, I would make sure I send the I-94 and evidence of departure to the nearest CBP office.

Check out this link for USVisit and I-94 information.

http://www.twmlaw.com/resources/usvisit.html

The biometric collection of the US-VISIT program is part of an effort by the Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security to create mutually accessible databases. Given the massive amount of data to be coordinated, employers and employees should plan on the occasional system failure, e.g., departure and arrival information not coordinated; computer error indicating no biometric match.

Employers should advise employees to keep their own record of their entry and departure from the United States and to return the Form I-94 on departure. This evidence might prevent an employee from being denied admission to the United States or otherwise jeopardizing his or her visa status. Employees should be advised that failure to participate in the US-VISIT program could affect their eligibility for future visas, admission to the United States, or maintenance of status for immigration purposes.

Did you keep the receipt that you got from US Visit. Did you get a passport stamp when you arrived in your arrival country. If so, you can include a copy of this when you send your card back. Your experience is not unique and is quite common. I would get into a complete panic about it, but take measures to return the card to the USCIS at the London KY address.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Did you keep the receipt that you got from US Visit. Did you get a passport stamp when you arrived in your arrival country. If so, you can include a copy of this when you send your card back. Your experience is not unique and is quite common. I would get into a complete panic about it, but take measures to return the card to the USCIS at the London KY address.

:yes::yes: My parents had a slightly similar problem once. They turned in their I-94s but somehow they were misplaced and USCIS thought they had overstayed their last visit. My parents just submitted copies of the (Philippine) entry stamps on their passports, their (obviously used) return tickets and boarding passes.

Edited by eau_xplain

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline

Well I called the US embassy here in Dublin. They said I had two choices, one mail of everything to the specific centre that deals with this kind of thing, but this would take four months to get rectified in the system, but as I am hoping to go to the US directly after my visa interview which is March 17th, they advised me to hand in my departure card at the port of entry, explain what happened, and bringing supporting evidence, for example, my stamp in my passport for Korea, and my marraige certificate when we were married in Korea. Bank statements etc. This is no problem at all cos all of these things were within the 90days I was granted with the VWP. But I'm worried that when I go for my visa interview it will cause problems....or do they even check this kind of thing. I have never overstayed anywhere, and would have easily handed in the departure card if it didn't look like it was meant to be there permanantly. I was stapled in the middle of the "green deprtarture card" not in the perforated area as it was supposed to. I was just naive and thought that the "US Visit" thing was all we had to do. And no I no longer have the receipt for that . I've been through east Asia and Europe since then and cannot find it anywhere. Do you think I'll have problems with the interview, and should I be upfront and honest and explain what exactly happened. This has been a stressful enough few months, without something like this messing it up. My husband is most probably deploying to Iraq this August and we just want some time together before he goes........ What should I do.......

I don't think you will have a problem at the interview. Don't volunteer if they don't ask, but answer truthfully and explain everything if they do ask. I doubt they will know enough to ask.

At POE however, you will be asked for sure. I would do what the embassy suggests and prepare a lot of evidence.

Good luck at the interview.

Timeline

thank you! I really appreciate all the help.......I'm wondering if I should take the "departure card" out of my passport and fill it in for the POE and take it with me to the interview incase they check. Wouldn't that all have been done though when I filled the I-130 with DHS? Do they check on all this kind of stuff during the interview too?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.