onourway12

Nigerian travelling to Barbados

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, My husband and I have been together for several years. We married in Nigeria about 6 months ago and for the last couple years I have been living with him abroad. We haven't started any visa processes yet, because quite frankly we don't know if we want to move to the states (i am american) or if we would continue living in his home country for a while longer. Anyhow, Im ready for a break from Nigeria and as you all know, the places a Nigerian citizen can travel are very limited. He can, however, go to Barbados without a visa but getting there seems to be our obstacle. i know this forum is for visa issues, but I tried posting this question elsewhere and got a lot of ridiculous answers from other nigerians who maybe dont have the means to travel and therefore felt maybe we shouldnt either. My husband has never been out of Nigeria or held a visitor visa for anywhere else. So going thru the UK or USA with a transit visa, might be hard to get. I know there are countries that dont require transit visa's and we have found a really really long route...going thru about 6 different countries just to get there. that is way to long and ridiculous...so im hoping we are overlooking something that someone else might know the answer to. thanks for any suggestions you can give!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

"Nigerian citizens need a transit visa for almost everywhere. Even countries that normally allow air passengers to transit without a visa by staying in the "international" part of the airport do not allow Nigerians to do that".

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090909081552AAogRsX

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Don't bother to go to Barbados if you live in Nigeria, they'll not let you into the island with that green passport alone, u'll be detained at the airport & bundled on the next available flight out of there.Even though Nigerians don't need a Visa into Barbados,u'll be detained like an illegal alien @ d airport.I just had an awful experience with my cousin who have travelled all over the world & came to visit me in the USA.He stayed longer,so instead of his I-94 to expire, i decided to send him to barbados 4 2weeks so he can reenter the US on a new I-94.I called and inquired from the Barbadian consulate about travelling to the island as a Nigerian & they told me it was ok, all you needed was a ticket,your unexpired passport & a hotel reservation for the time duration.All that i did, only for him to be detained & bundled back same day to the US on the next available flight,he was scared but i told him to relax & that when he gets to the MIAport,he should just tell the Immigration officer that he went to Barbados for Vacation but they did not let him enter b/c he was a nigerian & that he wanted to return to Nigeria from here but his cousin who lives in TX wanted him to come help shop on Black friday for gifts to take to Africa, i told him to have them call me if they needed to verify with me & they called & wished me Happythxgiving instead(it was thanksgiving day).They also wished him a Happy thxgiving,gave him a new I-94 for 6months & told him to enjoy his stay in America & he should also take it easy with the black friday shopping.He couldn't believe it, b/4 then he was so nervous & scared,calling me every 2-3mins, i told him to chill,America is different,tell them the truth so long as u r here for a genuine purpose.It took him about 10-15mins to get into d US after being detained @ d Barbadian airport 4 over 3hrs.

I've called the Barbadian consulate almost everyday this week cursing them out even though they apologised.You don't tell people one thing & do another.I even said they should mind the way they treat US Nigerians.I then ended by asking them to require a Visa to enter their country instead of throwing people out after they spent their money preparing for a trip.I'm calling them again next week to curse them out till i've had my fill.Nonsense.

April 2009-Divorced

April 2011-Filed I-360,I-485,I-765(filed few days b/4 divorce was 2yrs which would have made me ineligible)

May 24,2011-RFE(For good faith marriage & Good moral character)

Aug 19,2011-I-485 touched(correspondence from USCIS were returned)

Aug 24,2011 & Aug 26,2011-Attorney called USCIS

Sept 12,2011-Another RFE for I-693 & passports sent

Sept 19,2011-RFE for I-693 & Passport received

Oct 18,2011-I-360 touched(status changed to "Response to RFE review)

Oct 21,2011-Prima facie sent

Nov 1,2011-Prima facie recieved(Still no EAD or Biometrics done)

Dec 1,2011-I-485 touched(still no EAD or Biometrics)

Dec 12,2011-1-485 touched(Interview notice sent-worried cause i don't have the vawa approval yet)

Dec 15,2011-called USCIS about my case

Dec 19,2011-Attorney called to cancel interview b/c we are still waiting for Vawa approval notice

Jan 5th,2012-New EAC #s issued for I-765 & I-485 by VSC(Both were sent back to VSC)

Jan 8th,2012-Attorney faxed in Request to expedite my case

Jan 19,2012(I-485 & I-765 touched)

Jan 25,2012(Biometrics letter mailed)

Jan 26,2012(Biometrics letter received by attorney)

Feb 1,2012(Biometrics letter in hand)

Feb 6,2012(EAD card mailed by USCIS)

Feb 8,2012(Biometrics done,I-485 & I-765 touched,EAD delivered by USPS)

Feb 10,2012(EAD in hand,I-765 touched)

Jul 2,2012(Attorney called cos my case was out of processing time)

July 3,2012(VSC called Attorney back/sent out RFE 4 GFmarriage same day)

Sept 28,2012(RFE received by VSC)

Oct 26,2012(I-360 approved,Oct 13th was actual approval date)

Nov 19 & Nov 21,2012(I-485 transferred to another office)

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

By the way, since u r an American, they will let you in but your husband who is a Nigerian will not be allowed entry, so if you don't want to be separated from your husband, take a trip elsewhere or just com chill out out here, there are a lot of beautiful places here in the US where you can relax.

Goodluck.

April 2009-Divorced

April 2011-Filed I-360,I-485,I-765(filed few days b/4 divorce was 2yrs which would have made me ineligible)

May 24,2011-RFE(For good faith marriage & Good moral character)

Aug 19,2011-I-485 touched(correspondence from USCIS were returned)

Aug 24,2011 & Aug 26,2011-Attorney called USCIS

Sept 12,2011-Another RFE for I-693 & passports sent

Sept 19,2011-RFE for I-693 & Passport received

Oct 18,2011-I-360 touched(status changed to "Response to RFE review)

Oct 21,2011-Prima facie sent

Nov 1,2011-Prima facie recieved(Still no EAD or Biometrics done)

Dec 1,2011-I-485 touched(still no EAD or Biometrics)

Dec 12,2011-1-485 touched(Interview notice sent-worried cause i don't have the vawa approval yet)

Dec 15,2011-called USCIS about my case

Dec 19,2011-Attorney called to cancel interview b/c we are still waiting for Vawa approval notice

Jan 5th,2012-New EAC #s issued for I-765 & I-485 by VSC(Both were sent back to VSC)

Jan 8th,2012-Attorney faxed in Request to expedite my case

Jan 19,2012(I-485 & I-765 touched)

Jan 25,2012(Biometrics letter mailed)

Jan 26,2012(Biometrics letter received by attorney)

Feb 1,2012(Biometrics letter in hand)

Feb 6,2012(EAD card mailed by USCIS)

Feb 8,2012(Biometrics done,I-485 & I-765 touched,EAD delivered by USPS)

Feb 10,2012(EAD in hand,I-765 touched)

Jul 2,2012(Attorney called cos my case was out of processing time)

July 3,2012(VSC called Attorney back/sent out RFE 4 GFmarriage same day)

Sept 28,2012(RFE received by VSC)

Oct 26,2012(I-360 approved,Oct 13th was actual approval date)

Nov 19 & Nov 21,2012(I-485 transferred to another office)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Effects of Major Changes forum to the Africa/Sub-Saharan regional forum -- off-topic issue requires Nigeria-specific input. ***

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Don't bother to go to Barbados if you live in Nigeria, they'll not let you into the island with that green passport alone, u'll be detained at the airport & bundled on the next available flight out of there.Even though Nigerians don't need a Visa into Barbados,u'll be detained like an illegal alien @ d airport.I just had an awful experience with my cousin who have travelled all over the world & came to visit me in the USA.He stayed longer,so instead of his I-94 to expire, i decided to send him to barbados 4 2weeks so he can reenter the US on a new I-94.I called and inquired from the Barbadian consulate about travelling to the island as a Nigerian & they told me it was ok, all you needed was a ticket,your unexpired passport & a hotel reservation for the time duration.All that i did, only for him to be detained & bundled back same day to the US on the next available flight,he was scared but i told him to relax & that when he gets to the MIAport,he should just tell the Immigration officer that he went to Barbados for Vacation but they did not let him enter b/c he was a nigerian & that he wanted to return to Nigeria from here but his cousin who lives in TX wanted him to come help shop on Black friday for gifts to take to Africa, i told him to have them call me if they needed to verify with me & they called & wished me Happythxgiving instead(it was thanksgiving day).They also wished him a Happy thxgiving,gave him a new I-94 for 6months & told him to enjoy his stay in America & he should also take it easy with the black friday shopping.He couldn't believe it, b/4 then he was so nervous & scared,calling me every 2-3mins, i told him to chill,America is different,tell them the truth so long as u r here for a genuine purpose.It took him about 10-15mins to get into d US after being detained @ d Barbadian airport 4 over 3hrs.

I've called the Barbadian consulate almost everyday this week cursing them out even though they apologised.You don't tell people one thing & do another.I even said they should mind the way they treat US Nigerians.I then ended by asking them to require a Visa to enter their country instead of throwing people out after they spent their money preparing for a trip.I'm calling them again next week to curse them out till i've had my fill.Nonsense.

wow, what an experience. Thank God he was able to enter back into the States without a problem. Gotta love our USA!! lol. This ordeal he went thru is so discouraging to me. I really wanted to have a vaca with my husband away from Nigeria for a while. I had heard of horror stories with people getting sent back after traveling all over the place to get there, but I just figured if Im entering Barbados with my husband and we have reservations and money to support us, that we would be OK. Its true what you said, they should just require a VISA if they are going to be so darn strict!! Keep calling and giving them HECK! lol

By the way, since u r an American, they will let you in but your husband who is a Nigerian will not be allowed entry, so if you don't want to be separated from your husband, take a trip elsewhere or just com chill out out here, there are a lot of beautiful places here in the US where you can relax.

Goodluck.

BTW...he has no visa to come to the US or believe me, Id already be traveling there with him. We havent started the CR-1 yet, though now im think that we should since even traveling anywhere else is going to be a joke.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Unless I am reading the Barbados Travel website incorrectly, Nigerian citizens do need Visa to enter. However, US & Candian citizens only need their "current passports and a valid return ticket".

BARBADOS

Passports

Every person entering Barbados, including all North American citizens (Americans and Canadians), should be in possession of a valid passport and a valid return ticket.

Visas required for Barbados Visas are required for citizens from the following countries:

Afghanistan Libya

Albania Madagascar

Algeria Mali

Angola Marshall Islands

Armenia Mauritania

Australia Micronesia, Federate States Of

Azerbaijan Moldova, Republic Of

Bahrain Monaco(formerly Burma)

Bangladesh Morocco

Belarus Mongolia

Benin Mozambique

Bermuda (Visa Required If You Are Travelling In-Transit To Bermuda For Twelve (12) Hours Or More) Myanmar (Formerly Burma)

Bhutan Namibia

Bolivia Nauru

Bosnia - Herzegovina New Caledonia

Brunei Darussalam New Zealand

Burkina Faso Nigeria

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I saw that on that site as well, but I think it is incorrect because everywhere else we look, it states no Visa is necessary.

Well it is Barbados official website...the other sites like Yahoo are not..soooooo...

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

I just stumbled up on this post, and you're right. It is a tough situation. Why not stay on the continent? I'm sure there are nice upscale spots to vacation in another african country where he won't need a visa and would be much easier to get to, like Ghana? or Kenya?

Regarding Barbados, currently Nigerians are allowed to enter without a visa for six month maximum stay. I just checked timatic. Immigration may check for return/onward ticket, sufficient funds, etc but should allow him entry. Visa requirements can change just like politics can change, and timatic is always kept updated. The wise thing to do, if you can, is to contact Barbados immigration and try to get them to send you something in writing (even by fax) with hubbies name and passport number on official letterhead that states he should be allowed entry. Tell them you are requesting this letter to be on the safe side because of his "friend" who was detained, denied entry, and sent back. That letter would act like visa for him to carry and be able to present upon arrival in case of any problem.

Otherwise, I hear Turkey is nice this time of year, and there are nonstop flights from Lagos.

USCIS: 307 days from NOA1 to NOA2 (no RFE's)

15JUN2012 USC married in Côte d'Ivoire
13AUG2012 I-130 sent by FedEx to Chicago
15AUG2012 I-130 packet delivered to mailroom, per FedEx.com
18AUG2012 NOA1, rcvd SMS & email saying case is routed to Vermont Service Center, later rcvd by snail mail
21AUG2012 the date on next I-797C received only by snail mail, says petition transferred to Lee's Summit,MO
28AUG2012 "touch" (website shows case was updated)
03OCT2012 the date casefile was sent to Atlanta, per phone call with ISO
01FEB2013 infopass at Atlanta, casefile has not even been assigned to anyone yet!

21JUN2013 NOA2, email received! USCIS website is updated! No SMS was received.

Letter rcvd later by snail mail from NBC, Lee's Summit, MO; however, I know file was adjudicated in Atlanta.

NVC:

11JUL2013 the date NVC says they received our file

19JUL2013 called and got Case # and IIN #, gave email addresses

22JUL2013 received DS-3032 and AOS invoice by email, mailed DS-3032

Timeline

They treat Jamaicans who visit Barbadoes just as badly. Mostly if you are not there on business or appear to be a wealthy tourist you will have problems being admitted.

Right now there is a case in court filed by a Jamaican woman because of the way she was treated. The situation was made very public in the Caribbean. She is being assisted by the Jamaican government with her lawsuit.

This is her story http://www.caribbean360.com/index.php/news/barbados_news/571008.html#axzz2EgA1kAsW

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.