Penny Lane

Obama to GOP: I’m done negotiating with myself

17 posts in this topic

Republican aides are circulating their summary of the White House’s opening bid on the fiscal cliff. They’re circulating it because they believe it fleshes out Speaker John Boehner’s complaint that “the White House has to get serious.” Above all, they’re circulating it because the president isn’t offering them anything in his opening bid.

Suzy posted the full summary here. It calls for $1.6 trillion in taxes and only $400 billion in new entitlement spending cuts (though note that it assumes the roughly trillion dollars in discretionary spending cuts passed in the Budget Control Act and the trillion dollars in savings from ending the wars, such that the total spending cuts, at least in the White House’s view, are nearer to $2.4 trillion). It also includes about $200 billion in stimulus, including the extension or replacement of the payroll tax cut, and a proposal to encourage homeowners to refinance. Oh, and it lifts the debt ceiling.

“How did it take them three weeks (and two days) to offer nothing but President Obama’s budget?” A GOP leadership aide asked me rhetorically.

We’re seeing two things here. One is that the negotiations aren’t going well. When one side begins leaking the other side’s proposals, that’s typically a bad sign. The other is that Republicans are frustrated at the new Obama they’re facing: The Obama who refuses to negotiate with himself.

That’s what you’re really seeing in this “proposal.” Previously, Obama’s pattern had been to offer plans that roughly tracked where he thought the compromise should end up. The White House’s belief was that by being solicitous in their policy proposals, they would win goodwill on the other side, and even if they didn’t, the media would side with them, realizing they’d sought compromise and been rebuffed. They don’t believe that anymore.

Perhaps the key lesson the White House took from the last couple of years is this: Don’t negotiate with yourself. If Republicans want to cut Medicare, let them propose the cuts. If they want to raise revenue through tax reform, let them identify the deductions. If they want deeper cuts in discretionary spending, let them settle on a number. And, above all, if they don’t like the White House’s preferred policies, let them propose their own. That way, if the White House eventually does give in and agree to some of their demands, Republicans will feel like they got one over on the president. A compromise isn’t measured by what you offer, it’s measured by what the other side feels they made you concede.

The GOP is right: This isn’t a serious proposal. But it’s not evidence that Obama isn’t serious. He’s very serious about not negotiating with himself, and his opening bid proves it. Now that they’ve leaked his initial offer, the next question is obvious: What’s their offer?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/11/29/obama-to-gop-i-wont-negotiate-with-myself/

Filed: Timeline

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1354289094' post='5848368]

Let's just go over the cliff already. A reversion to Clinton era tax rates and a slowdown in the growth of our massive defense spending?

I love it. A short recession is a small price to pay for that kind of reset.

Agreed. Plus, the White House will be in a much stronger negotiating position with the House Republicans come Jan 2, 2013.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

How so?

Tax rates for the rich will be where the President wants them - at pre-2001 levels. No negotiations required. Republicans already voted to increase tax rates starting on Jan 1, 2013. The President will continue to champion tax relief for the middle class and lower income groups and the Republicans can continue to go on record opposing tax cuts for the vast majority of Americans.

Republicans have maneuvered themselves into a corner that they can't get out of. They've played checkers for the past two years while the President has played chess.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Let's just go over the cliff already. A reversion to Clinton era tax rates and a slowdown in the growth of our massive defense spending?

I'm totally with you on this. Both sides get something they want and neither will like it. And it actually accomplishes something. Before the end of the year the economy will have rebounded from the initial downturn and we should be on our way to less deficits and a stronger future.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Other Timeline

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised. After getting a full fist in the face during the November elections, I expected the head Indians in the Republican party to realize that what they did and how they approached politics will no longer work. I expected them to realize that if they do not get their sh*t together very quickly, that the Democrats will own both houses of Congress in 2 years and then nobody will even talk to them anymore. It's like in California where the Democrats have a supermajority and nobody cares whether or not any Republican even shows up. They have maneuvered themselves into insignificance.

But instead of Boehner trying to show the American people that Republicans have learned their lessons, he continues with the obstructianism as before. And now the American people are watching. Let them continue to dig their own grave in the coming 2 years. Let the President be clear about laws he proposes and let the Republicans be on record as the party of no to everything.

Once Obamacare has become the law of the land and by the November 2014 the American people will love it, the Republicans will be toast at the midterm elections. Then we will see amazing things happen. I can't wait.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

More like media bullshit maneuvered them into non-existence.

Republicans have passed bill after bill after bill over the course of the past couple of years and the Senate (aka. DEMOCRAT led) Majority leader won't bring them up for a vote.

Harry Reid is to blame in a lot of areas, but the Democrats have their media hounds to protect them and the ignorant masses who eat up anything they hear from an anchor.

If you spend a few hours watching C-Span instead of CNN, Faux News, MSDNC, etc... you'd actually learn a little something.

Oh wait, that's right though! Americans like truncated versions of stories and don't like the full story that would give them the truth. Idiots.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Republicans have passed bill after bill after bill over the course of the past couple of years and the Senate (aka. DEMOCRAT led) Majority leader won't bring them up for a vote.

They have passed a lot of bills that the Senate would not pass if brought up for a vote and that the President would never sign even if they could pass the Senate. And what you are accusing Reid of, Boehner is equally guilty of. The Senate passed tax cut entensions for the middle class which Boehner has not and will not bring up for a vote even though (or maybe because) the bill would easily pass the House and the President would sign it in a heartbeat. Make no mistake, all it takes for middle class tax cuts to persist past 12/31/2012 is for Boehner to schedule a vote on the bill the Senate passed some time ago. If your taxes go up on Jan 1, you know who to thank: the tan man.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

They have passed a lot of bills that the Senate would not pass if brought up for a vote and that the President would never sign even if they could pass the Senate. And what you are accusing Reid of, Boehner is equally guilty of. The Senate passed tax cut entensions for the middle class which Boehner has not and will not bring up for a vote even though (or maybe because) the bill would easily pass the House and the President would sign it in a heartbeat. Make no mistake, all it takes for middle class tax cuts to persist past 12/31/2012 is for Boehner to schedule a vote on the bill the Senate passed some time ago. If your taxes go up on Jan 1, you know who to thank: the tan man.

The senate can't pass tax resolutions on their own without butchering another piece of legislation.

All spending bills must originate in the house.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

The senate can't pass tax resolutions on their own without butchering another piece of legislation.

All spending bills must originate in the house.

Are you saying that tax cut legislation are spending bills? When did you have that epiphany?

July 25, 2012 is when the Senate passed the tax rate extension for incomes below 200K/250K. It was also that day that the Senate rejected the GOP proposal to extend all tax rates to the 2001/2003 levels. The House GOP is holding the middle class hostage to deliver billions of dollars of tax relief to their uber rich masters.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If your taxes go up on Jan 1, you know who to thank: the tan man.

If my taxes go up Jan 1 it will be thanks to the black Robin Hood.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:thumbs:

The President will continue to champion tax relief for the middle class and lower income groups

We need higher taxes for the middle class. They are not paying their fair share.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg