Nica_In_Love

Dealing with Airline and Extension Letter

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Not sure if this is going to be a problem, but as many of you know, when traveling overseas, the airline has to check that your papers are in order before they let you board (this is coming back to the U.S).

Last time one of the agents was giving me trouble just because my name on the Green Card is slightly different than my name on the passport. I told him the airline gives instructions that you must purchase the ticket exactly as it appears on the passport. He went on talking about the TSA etc. so I went ahead to the counter where another agent helped me and didn't make any comment on the name difference.

Anyway, I'm just thinking ahead because I'm traveling in January and I'm just wondering if anybody has had problems coming back to the U.S. with their extension letter. I'm assuming that they won't even know what an extension letter is and I just want to be prepared on how to explain it to them. This is at the Managua Airport in Nicaragua.

Thank you!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It varies from Airline to Airline. There have been cases where boarding has been denied with an expired GC and an Extension letter.

To avoid any problems make an InfoPass appointment and get an I551 stamp put in the passport.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Interview date:10/20/09...We are Pink!

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Stateside Feb 3rd. 2010. POE: JFK

Married Feb 20th, 2010

===================================

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

Biometrics 5/7/10 (Appointment Letter Recvd 4/27/10)

I485 transferred to CSC 4/30/10

Email received, AP and EAD approved 6/17/10.

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

Email, Card production ordered 8/16/10.

GC in Hand 8/27/10

=========================================

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Filed: Other Timeline

USCIS will not give an I-551 stamp if the resident has a valid Green Card. An expired Green Card that has been extended by a letter from the United States government is a valid Green Card.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

USCIS will not give an I-551 stamp if the resident has a valid Green Card. An expired Green Card that has been extended by a letter from the United States government is a valid Green Card.

That is incorrect.

I made an Infopass appointment for my wife who is traveling to China next month. They took her expired GC and put an I551 stamp in her passport with an expiry of 6 months.

Edited by Sam and Fen

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Married Feb 20th, 2010

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

GC in Hand 8/27/10

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Please show one person that has been denied entry or boarding with expired GC and original extension letter. It is a rumor that this happens.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Please show one person that has been denied entry or boarding with expired GC and original extension letter. It is a rumor that this happens.

Just because you have not seen or heard of it does not make it a fact that this is just a rumor and never happens in reality. For your pleasure please read the following thread specially further down read the post by ShadeOGray and b.c.

ShadeOgray:

Side note, even with the letter of extension on an expired green card, the airlines are morons. They are adamant you must have a letter from the embassy to board. I was about to throttle her neck, they called the embassy for approval, almost missed our flight. Common sense does NOT apply there. I'll post some wedding pics soon. Sorry it took so long.

b.c

Yep we were denied boarding even with the extension letter. They wouldnt work with us at all. No valid green card - no boarding. You are lucky they worked with you. We had to wait til her 10 year was available and get it sent to china and had to rebook at that time. This was a couple years ago. Sounds like things are finally changing for the better.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44941-going-to-china-tomorrow/page__pid__590753#entry590753

Edited by Sam and Fen

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Married Feb 20th, 2010

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

GC in Hand 8/27/10

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Timeline

I'm not worried about re-entering the U.S., I'm worried about boarding in Managua. Like somebody said in that quote, I don't want to say morons, but airline employees don't have the best of knowledge when it comes to immigration issues. I did do some more researching and some people have stated that the letter itself was taken more seriously than the stamp. But then again, I guess it just depends on who's working that day.

Sam and Fen, when you schedule the InfoPass, how soon did you get the appointment? Do they work Mon-Fri?

So no one from VJ. That site is for China-US matchmaking and then immigration, so it doesn't personally have a lot of weight for me. The first one you quoted wasn't denied either.

Nica - You will be fine. So many people travel with these documents, look all over VJ and you will see myriads. Last time we were abroad we saw many people in line with the extension letter and the airline knew exactly what it was. There is no reason to be afraid. I am for no paranoia, personally. Like Bob said, often USCIS won't even give out the stamp because the extension letter is the thing you need.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I know, Harpa. You're right. It's just that it's the first time I'm traveling with my expired GC + letter. I'll get there a little extra early JUST in case. Thanks :)

Timeline

I'm not worried about re-entering the U.S., I'm worried about boarding in Managua. Like somebody said in that quote, I don't want to say morons, but airline employees don't have the best of knowledge when it comes to immigration issues. I did do some more researching and some people have stated that the letter itself was taken more seriously than the stamp. But then again, I guess it just depends on who's working that day.

Sam and Fen, when you schedule the InfoPass, how soon did you get the appointment? Do they work Mon-Fri?

I was able to schedule the appointment on line very easily. I think they work Mon thru Fri 8 AM to not sure.

As far as timing goes it depends upon how busy your local office is.

The extension letter is an US document know to US Immigration so it and really depends on the person working and the airline and if they are aware of this. Some of them only know the GC or the I551 stamp.

If an Airline lets you board and you are denied entry in the US then they are responsible for sending you back hence the problem.

Last thing you want is to be stuck with an airline that is not aware of this and they deny you boarding.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Married Feb 20th, 2010

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

GC in Hand 8/27/10

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Timeline

So no one from VJ. That site is for China-US matchmaking and then immigration, so it doesn't personally have a lot of weight for me. The first one you quoted wasn't denied either.

Nica - You will be fine. So many people travel with these documents, look all over VJ and you will see myriads. Last time we were abroad we saw many people in line with the extension letter and the airline knew exactly what it was. There is no reason to be afraid. I am for no paranoia, personally. Like Bob said, often USCIS won't even give out the stamp because the extension letter is the thing you need.

Get your facts correct and understand the posts before you pass judgment.

It is not a MATCHMAKING site. It only deals with Immigration issues for Chinese SO's.

The first one, read again to understand what happened. He would have been denied boarding if the airline was not able to confirm with the US Consulate.

Again, It is actually very common for USCIS to give out that stamp because they understand that not all airlines are aware of the extension letter. To use your words, Show me one case where USCIS refused to put the stamp.

I for one would not want my wife at the airport and the airline denies her boarding. In your world it is paranoia but in the real world it is called better safe then sorry.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Married Feb 20th, 2010

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

GC in Hand 8/27/10

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Timeline

The other option for you Nica is to call the airline and see if they and their employees are aware of the extension letter.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Married Feb 20th, 2010

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

GC in Hand 8/27/10

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Timeline

You have valid USCIS documents and will be fine. My wife has traveled to China with her native passport in financee name (now her last is the middle) and green card, government paperwork in married name along with her drivers license. If you have a hassle speak to a supervisor and get customs and border patrol to the counter. The max time they will I551 stamp is 6 months. This process is hard on everyone and sometimes peoples hearts are on their sleeves. SO her international ticket in in the name on her passport and domestic flight is the drivers license, no issues. Hang in there.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.