Silark

need some advice before my interview next week

7 posts in this topic

I posted this some days ago and despite having 44 views noone replied and i'm getting nervous now hence the repost.

Ok we have our interview date now

1. I heard that for the establishment of my eligilbilty for lawful permanent residence you basically present your k-1 visa and your entrance card. Is this all I need to establish my eligibility? I know i need all the other stuff too but is this all i need to cover this?

2. I know we also have to prove my wife's citizenship too. Now we have her birth certificate but her passport still has her maiden name on it...is this a problem? Are there any other documents she can bring?

3. Being the great thinkers they are at immigration they have given me the middle initial N on my EAD. I do not have a middle initial they had taken the N/A in the middle name box on my form to mean my middle initial would be N (Everyone i tell laughs at this story so feel free). My question is is this likely to cause me problems? I called the hotline the told me to send the card back with an explanation and a new EAD form and they would correct it. I don't really want to send it back and they will be taking it off me at the interview next month anyway. Any advice?

4. On the topic of names my name is D'Arcy yet noone here seems to be able to put that in their system with the apostrophe. I was issued a SS card when i worked at a summer camp a while back which had an apostophe in but when i had to get a new card when i got married they told me the ' would crash the system. I was fine with this until i noticed that I had a SS with the ' on it. Even my drivers license doesn't have the '. All my UK docs do have an apostrophe though. Does anyone think this will cause me problems? It does kind of annoy me that my name is being officially being changed by no fault of my own.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi...

I cant remember from the top of my head right now, but I have my binder at home and will check tonite and let you know what I used for elegibility.

About the name... I would recommend to bring a letter to the interview, explaining that you dont have a middle initial, and why the mistake, so when they issue your Green Card, they take the N out. About the apostrophe... Im sorry I have no answer for that.

Good luck in your interview, and I will post later tonite when I get home!

Our visa Journey ~~~~ 226 days

Removing Conditions on ~~~ May 2008

Our first anniversary ~~~ November 12, 2006

In your question No. 1. yes, bring your k-1 visa as well as your I-94 (entrance card) and of course don't forget your passport.

No. 2: It would be next month your interview, is there no possible for your wife to change her passport into married name. It would help if you guys could facilitate it now. You still have 4 weeks to do it. And better to ask or call your UK consulate first as how long it would take for changing family name in passport.

No. 3: It's really actually nice if all your legal documentations as well as your ID are in the same name. Less hassle and worries. I assumed your passport is in correct name as well as your application for your adjustment of status. Once you get your greencard make it sure you get the correct name on it. And it would be easy to change your name in your driver's license if you gonna show them your passport and greencard proving them that is really the correct name.

We are all freak out if interview time comes but soon it gonna be over too :thumbs:

Just bring everything and anything (documents) you think it gonna help you in your interview. And of course, don't forget to bring the original marriage certificate on that day.

Your gonna be ok.

March 31, 2003 Sent I-129F

October 10, 2003 NOA Receipt

November 19, 2003 NOA 2 Approved

February 13, 2004 Embassy Interview & Visa Approved

February 19, 2004 Visa arrived

February 25, 2004 Arrival in USA

March 24, 2004 It's happy wedding day! :)

April 8, 2004 Mailed I-485

April 12, 2004 Received NOA

May 5, 2004 Biometric

December 12, 2004 Interview & Approved

December 26, 2004 Received Green Card

September 27, 2006 Mailed I-751

October 21, 2006 Receipt of NOA

October 23, 2006 NOA of Biometric Appointment

November 8, 2006 Biometric Appoinment

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
I posted this some days ago and despite having 44 views noone replied and i'm getting nervous now hence the repost.

Ok we have our interview date now

1. I heard that for the establishment of my eligilbilty for lawful permanent residence you basically present your k-1 visa and your entrance card. Is this all I need to establish my eligibility? I know i need all the other stuff too but is this all i need to cover this?

2. I know we also have to prove my wife's citizenship too. Now we have her birth certificate but her passport still has her maiden name on it...is this a problem? Are there any other documents she can bring?

3. Being the great thinkers they are at immigration they have given me the middle initial N on my EAD. I do not have a middle initial they had taken the N/A in the middle name box on my form to mean my middle initial would be N (Everyone i tell laughs at this story so feel free). My question is is this likely to cause me problems? I called the hotline the told me to send the card back with an explanation and a new EAD form and they would correct it. I don't really want to send it back and they will be taking it off me at the interview next month anyway. Any advice?

4. On the topic of names my name is D'Arcy yet noone here seems to be able to put that in their system with the apostrophe. I was issued a SS card when i worked at a summer camp a while back which had an apostophe in but when i had to get a new card when i got married they told me the ' would crash the system. I was fine with this until i noticed that I had a SS with the ' on it. Even my drivers license doesn't have the '. All my UK docs do have an apostrophe though. Does anyone think this will cause me problems? It does kind of annoy me that my name is being officially being changed by no fault of my own.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Chris,

I can only anwer to the question 2.

I went to the interview with my birth certificate (in Japanese) and passport. I have my maiden name on both of them but it wasn't a problem at all. In fact I didn't even have to show my birth certificate to the officer.

Tommy

-----AOS-----

Sent to Chicago : 07/10/06

NOA arrived : 07/14/06

Biometrics : 08/04/06

Interview : 10/19/06 - Approved, name check has been cleared

Another Biometrics Notice Arrived (what is this?!) : 10/23/06

Fingerprint appointment : 10/31/06 - I went there anyway and they told me it was simply their mistake to send me another one

Infopass : 11/20/06 - They couldn't find my biometric record in their system

Biometrics Appointment : 12/08/06 - Hopefully they will start my green card production!

Recived an email update - Card ordered : 12/13/06

Card received : 12/21/06 YEAY!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Having your Wifes Marraige certificate along with her passport will be enough not to worry about her passport having maiden name on it. However, to be safe you can also take passport and have them put a stamp amendment in it with the name chnage, my wife did this at the Japanese Consulate. Her ID's match name on her receipt notices.

As far documents k-1, i-94 are fine.

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok I have an important question... what if you didn't come in on a K-1 or K-3 and have no I-94 entrance card to show at the interview????? I came to visit from Canada so I didn't have any visa (Canadians don't need one) and didn't get an I-94 (Canadians don't get them at the border when inspected). I ended up staying and falling in love and getting married and now I'm freaking out lol I have my return bus ticket to Canada.... what do I show?!!

I-485 AOS Filing (shortened timeline):

08/25/06 - WEDDING DAY <3

09/14/06 - Medical

09/18/06 - Mailed AOS

10/04/06 - RFE request I-485

10/11/06 - RFE response rec'd by USCIS

10/12/06 - BIOMETRICS done!

11/18/06 - Interview Notice in mail (Day 60)

12/26/06 - *TOUCH* I-765, EAD approval notice sent (Day 98)

12/29/06 - Received EAD, applied for SSN (Day 101)

01/03/07 - *TOUCH* I-130, I-485, I-765 received EAD (Day 106)

01/10/07 - INTERVIEW 9:45am Baltimore! Recommended for approval (Day 113)

05/08/07 - APPROVAL NOTICE & WELCOME TO USA LETTER SENT! (Day 231)

05/14/07 - Received I-130 approval & welcome letter (Day 237)

05/15/07 - Green card ordered (Day 238)

I-751 Filing:

02/06/09 - Mailed I-751! (Day 1)

02/09/09 - I-751 Delivered to Vermont (Day 4)

02/13/09 - NOA 1 (Day 8)

03/06/09 - BIOMETRICS (Day 29)

03/09/09 - *TOUCH* (Day 32)

06/26/09 - 10 year green card APPROVED! (Day 141)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
No. 2: It would be next month your interview, is there no possible for your wife to change her passport into married name. It would help if you guys could facilitate it now. You still have 4 weeks to do it. And better to ask or call your UK consulate first as how long it would take for changing family name in passport.

I still have things in my maden name and didnt have a problem with my husband gettting his Greencard. There is no rule that the woman has to take the man's name.

good luck

Ok I have an important question... what if you didn't come in on a K-1 or K-3 and have no I-94 entrance card to show at the interview????? I came to visit from Canada so I didn't have any visa (Canadians don't need one) and didn't get an I-94 (Canadians don't get them at the border when inspected). I ended up staying and falling in love and getting married and now I'm freaking out lol I have my return bus ticket to Canada.... what do I show?!!

Jenny, show your passport for that is the only thing you have.

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.