Falconhoof

Possible to get an earlier Embassy interview?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi folks.

Nearly 5 weeks ago I had my medical, and today I got my letter in setting my embassy interview date at December 20th.

Is there any possible way this can be moved to earlier? Does anyone have experience doing so? I'd love to spend Christmas with my fiancée.

Thanks.

####### can't find the edit button. I'm in Scotland and the embassy in question is London.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I have emailed already, looking for others experiences.

No one can tell you with certainty if they will do it or not, because it's up to the Embassy. So even if they did it, in the past, for someone else, it won't necessarily mean they'll do it for you.

Wait for their answer.

I also moved your post to the regional forums, so you can get answers from those who are going (or have gone) through the London embassy.

Edited by Celeste & C

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

OP's simply looking for some hopeful signs while he awaits there answer. Hopefully others will post with their experiences at the London embassy...

Edited by thairath

Hi folks.

Nearly 5 weeks ago I had my medical, and today I got my letter in setting my embassy interview date at December 20th.

Is there any possible way this can be moved to earlier? Does anyone have experience doing so? I'd love to spend Christmas with my fiancée.

Thanks.

Yes people have requested and received an earlier interview. Some say they can come on short notice if there is a cancellation. Last week somebody here in this forum posted their fiancé was called for an interview for the very next morning because a spot opened up. But keep in mind everybody wants their visa before Christmas, so this time of year your chances are diminished.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Yes people have requested and received an earlier interview. Some say they can come on short notice if there is a cancellation. Last week somebody here in this forum posted their fiancé was called for an interview for the very next morning because a spot opened up. But keep in mind everybody wants their visa before Christmas, so this time of year your chances are diminished.

I don't suppose you have a link to that post? I'm curious to whether there is a "choice" in the matter. That is, if I write and ask for an earlier interview and they ask me to come down at 9am the next day; if I can't make it do I retain my original appointment?

I may as well ask this here while I have this thread open.

I have two niggling questions which I'm going to ask on the phone tomorrow, but no harm in posting it here too I think.

1) Visa Journey states that the extract from the records (short form) birth certificate is not valid as the certificate MUST contain both the mother and fathers names.

My own certificate says at the top "Extract of an Entry in a REGISTAR OF BIRTHS", but it also contains both my mother and fathers names. Will this be ok? The woman at the registar office assured me that its the "long form" version I have despite it saying that, and that they don't issue the short form due to no where accepting it.

Did anyone else have a similar birth certificate?

2)Somehow in all this preparation, we didn't realize that we would need to use the i134 over here to show that I would be supported by my fiancee's mother when I entered the US. So when we did back in August we basically filled out a new i134 (dated in August) with a letter from my Fiancee's mother's employer confirming her salary.

Will this be ok given it has a different date than the one submitted to the USCIS by my fiancee? My gut feeling says yes but I wanted to be sure. Also, is it really necessary to have pay stubs or tax returns on top of this?

Thanks folks.

I asked the embassy if I could have an earlier interview date and their response was flat out, NO. Even after explaining to them that my wedding was only a week after the interview. They worked with me to get my visa to me the day before my planned travel and luckily my wedding plans weren't ruined.

I guess some people have managed to get earlier dates though; either by phone or email. I found no-one on the phones were able to help me and the only response I got with a definite answer was by email.

In terms of the affidavit, that should be fine. I didn't realize that I needed it either, and the night before when I was doing final preps, I panicked! I didn't have it. My fiance filled it out in the US and scanned it to me in the UK, along with a letter from his employer. It looked awful! You could definitely tell it was scanned.

At the interview, they simply asked me where the original was, and I was honest and said I didn't realize I needed the form until last night and I asked my husband to scan it to me, so the original is with him in the States.

They accepted it without an issue. He didn't have pay stubs because he had just started a new job so the letter stated his predicted hours. They also took that without a problem.

So hopefully, they won't be too picky about it in your case either, but to be on the safe side, just gather as much as you can and be completely honest with your interviewer. And a pretty smile in their direction might help you too. :innocent:

A dream is a wish your heart makes.

10/02/12 - Sent off I-485 Adjustment of Status Packet
10/15/12 - Received NOA1 by text
11/13/12 - Biometrics appointment
12/13/12 - EAD approved
12/18/12 - EAD card ordered
12/19/12 - EAD card shipped
12/22/12 - EAD card received
01/30/13 - AOS interview date
01/30/13 - RFE (They lost my medical record!!!)
04/16/13 - New medical performed
04/19/13 - Results sent to USCIS
05/18/13 - Approved for Conditional Residency
05/18/13 - Card ordered.

I may as well ask this here while I have this thread open.

I have two niggling questions which I'm going to ask on the phone tomorrow, but no harm in posting it here too I think.

1) Visa Journey states that the extract from the records (short form) birth certificate is not valid as the certificate MUST contain both the mother and fathers names.

My own certificate says at the top "Extract of an Entry in a REGISTAR OF BIRTHS", but it also contains both my mother and fathers names. Will this be ok? The woman at the registar office assured me that its the "long form" version I have despite it saying that, and that they don't issue the short form due to no where accepting it.

Did anyone else have a similar birth certificate?

Go by the London website instructions, not Visa Journey is my best advice. Vj is giving instructions to cover the whole world and is not London specific. Your birth record is an entry in a record book somewhere official. Anything you get will be a photocopy or extract from the official record. It should be signed or stamped or embossed in some way to say it is a true copy or extract. That is a "certified" copy because somebody certified it came from the birth record registry or one and only official copy. Sorry I can't be more specific, but that is the general concept. If it has your parent(s) name on it, then that is what London wants.

2)Somehow in all this preparation, we didn't realize that we would need to use the i134 over here to show that I would be supported by my fiancee's mother when I entered the US. So when we did back in August we basically filled out a new i134 (dated in August) with a letter from my Fiancee's mother's employer confirming her salary.

Will this be ok given it has a different date than the one submitted to the USCIS by my fiancee? My gut feeling says yes but I wanted to be sure. Also, is it really necessary to have pay stubs or tax returns on top of this?

Thanks folks.

Your interview is the first time somebody will look at the I-134. It never goes to USCIS. It is not mentioned in any of the petition instructions as evidence needed to file a fiancé petition with USCIS. I always suggest bring two different proofs of income to the interview. London is pretty easy and an employer letter will in most cases be sufficient.

Perhaps you should read the pinned thread for K1s at the top of this forum. It has lots of information and you might find other things you didn't get from the London web instructions.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Thank you all again for the insightful replies.

I have two more quick questions;

The more I read online about the i134 it seems the less I understand. My Fiancee is a full time student with no income, and as such her mother in law will be the sponsor on my i134.

Does my fiancee need to fill out an I134 too? I didn't think so, and it doesn't make much sense as she has had no income and no tax returns filed etc. But reading online there seems to be a mix of she should and she shouldn't.

The second question;

My mother in law who kindly wanted to be my sponsor is of course happily married. Her taxes we're filed jointly with her husband.

According to the US Embassy website, married couples should both sign the i134 if they're willing to sponsor me, which of course they are. This would match the income tax return better, though I have no idea if their individual salaries will be displayed on the 1040.

However, does this mean I'll now need to get the paystubs of my father in law, as well as a letter from his employer confirming his current salary?

Things are further complicated given that he was out of work for several months (including back in August where I first got the i134 from my Fiancee). Hence the reason why my mother in law was the only one on the forms in the first place.

I'm not sure if I should simply stick with my mother in law soley on the forms or if I should re-do them with my father in law's signature?

I should clarify that support really isn't the issue. My mother in law to be makes nearly triple what is required on her own. My father in law did also for many many years.

Thank you all again for your patience and advice with this stuff. I'm sure many of you appreciate what a nervous time this can be.

On an I-134, London will be happy with MIL only. The tax form 1040 will not show her separate income, but her w2 form will. If she will provide an employer letter or recent pay stubs also, then that will show she makes enough on her own without Dad having to prove anything or sign. There are no hard rules for the I -134. It's just prove to the officer that somebody makes enough to convince him you will not become a public charge. I would get recent proofs and have them at the interview.

When you later adjust status, the rules are strict and specific. Your wife will fill out an I-864 even with zero income. You can still use Mom as a joint sponsor and show her separate income without mentioning Dad.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

On an I-134, London will be happy with MIL only. The tax form 1040 will not show her separate income, but her w2 form will. If she will provide an employer letter or recent pay stubs also, then that will show she makes enough on her own without Dad having to prove anything or sign. There are no hard rules for the I -134. It's just prove to the officer that somebody makes enough to convince him you will not become a public charge. I would get recent proofs and have them at the interview.

When you later adjust status, the rules are strict and specific. Your wife will fill out an I-864 even with zero income. You can still use Mom as a joint sponsor and show her separate income without mentioning Dad.

Perfect mate, thank you very much for the reply.

Oh and I should probably add, they've given me an appointment for for the 28th of this month. Needless to say I am over the moon. :D

Thanks again to everyone for replying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.