lynn2329

Fiance entering US alone?

15 posts in this topic

My fiance and I have our interview scheduled for December 11th, however I have to return to the US by December 17th as I have to give a final exam to my college students (I teach 2 courses part time). I can't afford to fly back down again to accompany him back to the US. We have talked about this extensively and he says he is more than OK with flying by himself, but I don't know how that works at the POE then. Can I meet him there? What can I do to prepare him for POE. Any tips would be great!

He'll do just fine.

Good luck!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

you right to be concerned am sure he can do just fine but if he has never travelled before it can be very difficult. plus who knows what issues can come up? anyways like others say it can be done and you really dont have an option here so just hope for the best.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

My fiance and I have our interview scheduled for December 11th, however I have to return to the US by December 17th as I have to give a final exam to my college students (I teach 2 courses part time). I can't afford to fly back down again to accompany him back to the US. We have talked about this extensively and he says he is more than OK with flying by himself, but I don't know how that works at the POE then. Can I meet him there? What can I do to prepare him for POE. Any tips would be great!

You won't be able to meet him at the POE as you would need to be coming off of a flight to be in that part of customs or at least need a ticket to be in the area. Depending on where his POE will be the officers can be a little harsh and I have heard where people have waited hours and missed their connecting flights so make sure he has some way to contact you in the event he is delayed. If he is not going to have a cell phone that is going to work once he is in the US. I would suggest either a calling card or making sure he has enough change to use a pay phone (have them all over in the airport). Also another good idea since you will be traveling here soon for the interview, I would suggest that you bring him one of those prepaid credit cards that you can load money to from the US so if anything comes up and you can't get to him you can add money and he can either go to an ATM he can also use it to make calls at the pay. When I say I love these cards I use one all the time here and when I am in the airport. Netspend.com is a good one. Of course you will have to order it in your name, but that will not matter if he is using it at the ATM's to withdraw cash or at the pay phone, and once he is in the US you can just have him added and he will get his own card.

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

If you choose to pick up the visa yourself at the embassy, there is a good chance that it will be ready before you leave. He might be able to fly back with you. Most visas are ready 2-3 days post interview in DR. This is my hope, as I bought one way tickets for me and my daughter...but some people I know did POE on their own and had no issues, especially when the language they speak is Spanish. He will be ok. :)

Chastity

dvtc60mt18hhq.png

my fiance and i have also have our interview in santo domingo on december 11th. i had to book the return flight on december 18th. that was all the time i could get off work here. i sure hope that will give us time to get her visa approved and picked up or delivered.

good luck. maybe we'll see you there at the embassy?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you do not meet him at he POE try this. Have a ticket to your final destination, a map of the airport and directions how to get to the domestic terminal, have a note, who he is who you are with contact information. Do this in English and Spanish, I did something similar for myself traveling to China for the first time. I had several friends who travel internationally recommend this and a sheet in my luggage if it became separated. Best plan is to meet when him at the POE when he gets out of customs and immigration.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

if he can get through the interview alone. POE will be a breeze. all he has to do is follow instructions and be able to read :yes:

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

maybe give them your phone sim card so once they are in america they can call you i have mailed sveta a sim card from america so once she lands can call me and give me heads up and should cbp officer have questions she can give phone to them also goves little more proof of relationship imo

if he can get through the interview alone. POE will be a breeze. all he has to do is follow instructions and be able to read :yes:

In the DR petitioner MUST appear or visa will be denied or interview rescheduled for petitioner to be there. Depending on where the POE is i.e FLorida, or New York. There may not be a lot of spanish speaking individuals in the airport to assist with directions. Those two states sure they will have no problem. But if it is some place else like Atlanta, or Philly and the beneficiary's english is not the best then yes it could be a problem. As everyone in the DR does not read and speak english...and those that can speak it, may not necessarily read and comprehend it that well. So I get the OP's concern.

Our Journey
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
01/16/2013 Medical

heart_28.gif

In the DR petitioner MUST appear or visa will be denied or interview rescheduled for petitioner to be there. Depending on where the POE is i.e FLorida, or New York. There may not be a lot of spanish speaking individuals in the airport to assist with directions. Those two states sure they will have no problem. But if it is some place else like Atlanta, or Philly and the beneficiary's english is not the best then yes it could be a problem. As everyone in the DR does not read and speak english...and those that can speak it, may not necessarily read and comprehend it that well. So I get the OP's concern.

I will DEFINITELY be attending the interview!! I just may not be able to wait until he has visa in had to enter the US. He will be entering at Newark, and that flight is always jam packed with Spanish speakers. He will fly direct so as not to have to deal with connecting. I just wanted to make sure he would be able to go through POE on his own. I will be waiting for him when he clears customs :) And thanks so much for the tip on the pre-loaded debit card. That is a good idea!

I will DEFINITELY be attending the interview!! I just may not be able to wait until he has visa in had to enter the US. He will be entering at Newark, and that flight is always jam packed with Spanish speakers. He will fly direct so as not to have to deal with connecting. I just wanted to make sure he would be able to go through POE on his own. I will be waiting for him when he clears customs :) And thanks so much for the tip on the pre-loaded debit card. That is a good idea!

Your welcome :thumbs: I understand not being able to wait. My previous post was in reference to another post, the POE I was referring to that can be harsh is Ft. Lauderdale but he is not coming through there so he will be fine on his own, and he doesn't have to catch a connecting flight even better. Best of luck on your interview!

Our Journey
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
01/16/2013 Medical

heart_28.gif

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Dominican%20Republic&cty=Santo%20Domingo

this information helped me. as i mentioned, our interview is also on Dec 11th and i had to book our return flight for Dec 18th. i plan to call DOMEX at 809 616 6633 a couple days after our interview. once they tell me her visa is there, we will go pick it up instead of waiting for delivery.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.