adamkun

Middle name & Signature fields - Help please!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi everyone!

This is my first post to this forum and I have two (hopefully) simple questions:

1. My fiancee is Japanese and doesn't have a middle name. What should I put in the field for her middle name? Should I leave it blank, put "none", or "N/A"? I tried searching the forums and came across a person who put "N/A" and the person who handled her petition actually thought her middle name was "N"! Needless to say, this got me worried...

2. Should my fiancee sign her name using English letters or using Japanese characters?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who replies! I've never posted here but looking through other people's posts, it seems like this forum is full of awesome and helpful people.

Adam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Blank, That is what we did on our petition. My fiance is Chinese and also has no middle name.

Sign in the way that is comfortable, My fiance signed in pin yin which is English characters, and also in Chinese characters.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We wrote "none" in the blank and to be extra safe attached a sheet saying he had no middle name. I think they're used to it, so whatever you do they'll figure it out.

We just didn't want his middle name being listed as "none" :)

She should sign her name as she signs it.

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Wow. Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!

I'm still not sure whether to put "none" or leave it blank but I think I'll take your advice and attach an extra sheet of paper indicating that she has no middle name. That seems the safest.

Thanks again! You guys are awesome.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Wow. Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!

I'm still not sure whether to put "none" or leave it blank but I think I'll take your advice and attach an extra sheet of paper indicating that she has no middle name. That seems the safest.

Thanks again! You guys are awesome.

None or N/A, either way.

I am Chinese and I didn't have middle name, they picked it up. :)

As for the SIG, sign in English.

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My fiance is Brazilian and doesn't have a middle name.

We wrote NONE so that they didn't think we forgot it. We also sent a copy of his birth certificate to prove that he doesn't.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The signature whould be done as they individual normally signs their name. I highly doubt that that would be in English....

No blanks should be left on any spaces .. try something like [NONE] so they don't mistake it for the true middle name...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
The signature whould be done as they individual normally signs their name. I highly doubt that that would be in English....

No blanks should be left on any spaces .. try something like [NONE] so they don't mistake it for the true middle name...

Bad advice, the instructions ask for a signature in English.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Timeline

Where in the instructions does it ask that? Cite Please... You won't find it because it's not there...

There is nothing that asks that the signature in English.. On the contrary, your legal signature should be as you sign it all the time... I know of several individuals whose signatures have nothing to do with their names.. it does not diminish the legallity of the signature.

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

adamkun,

1. I put a squiggly line through the space. Shows that I didn't overlook the item and avoids the possibility that 'none' or 'N/A' can be mistaken for a name.

2. If there's no instruction to use English or native characters I would go with English.

Yodrak

Hi everyone!

This is my first post to this forum and I have two (hopefully) simple questions:

1. My fiancee is Japanese and doesn't have a middle name. What should I put in the field for her middle name? Should I leave it blank, put "none", or "N/A"? I tried searching the forums and came across a person who put "N/A" and the person who handled her petition actually thought her middle name was "N"! Needless to say, this got me worried...

2. Should my fiancee sign her name using English letters or using Japanese characters?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who replies! I've never posted here but looking through other people's posts, it seems like this forum is full of awesome and helpful people.

Adam

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Where in the instructions does it ask that? Cite Please... You won't find it because it's not there...

There is nothing that asks that the signature in English.. On the contrary, your legal signature should be as you sign it all the time... I know of several individuals whose signatures have nothing to do with their names.. it does not diminish the legallity of the signature.

It is there. Interestingly the form on the USCIS site now leads you to the wrong form, so I can't give you a reliable link but this falls under the "must be completed in English unless otherwise indicated" portion.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My boyfriend's signature is 2 lines. It's not in any language. It was fine.

Honestly, it's so damned easy to forge I'm not sure why he doesn't change it. :)

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi everyone!

Adam

Wow, that is so bizarre. None of you have met Americans with only First and last name? Haha.. This is the FIRST time I've heard of this. There are Americans right here in our country who have NO middle names.

Leave it blank. USCIS receives petitiones everyday with beneficiaries AND petitioners without a middle name. It is completely normal. But doing what Yadrak suggests is a good idea. I don't advise using "NONE". Some stupid wise ### agent is going to attribute NONE to your beneficiary's as her actual middle name.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Haha, my fiance has no middle name either, so I put "none" thinking if I left it blank they'll assume I forgot. I guess I never thought they might think his middle name is "none." I kind of just assumed they were more intelligent than that!

Let's hope so! :thumbs:

Jackie

We wrote "none" in the blank and to be extra safe attached a sheet saying he had no middle name. I think they're used to it, so whatever you do they'll figure it out.

We just didn't want his middle name being listed as "none" :)

She should sign her name as she signs it.

Met online February 2006

Went to England on working visa June 2006

Sent off I-129F October 2006 <3 <3 <3

In England until visa expired December 2006

We leave England for a stateside Christmas December 17, 2006

Karl goes back to the UK January 7, 2007

I make a scene at the airport January 7, 2007

I head back to the UK to wait it out with him February 9, 2007

K-1 Journey

10-20-2006 Mailed I-129F

10-31-2006 NOA1

01-29-2007 NOA2 via e-mail!! Woo Hoo

01-30-2007 Touch

02-02-2007 NOA2 via snail mail

02-06-2007 NVC received case

02-07-2007 NVC fowarded case on to London

02-16-2007 Packet 3 received

02-19-2007 Packet 3 mailed out

02-21-2007 Packet 3 received at Embassy

03-01-2007 Packet 4 received

03-02-2007 Karl's medical

03-30-2007 Interview - Approved!!

05-01-2007 - Flying home to Chicago

My posts are purely opinion and should not be taken as legal advice... obviously :)

Timeline

From Black's Law Dictionary:

Signature: any name, mark or writing made or adopted with the intention, actual or apparent, to authenticate the writing as that of the signer.

It does not have to be in English...

Edited by zyggy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.